Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

1 Message

July 21st, 2020 08:00

Alienware R7 - Worst PC I have ever had

Alienware R7 32GB Ram , 1080TI Video card(11GB)

Had this about 2 years now - nothing but performance issues - support was never any help - tried to do a factory reset - never worked - did a windows full re-install - same performance issues. Won't even play Microsoft Flight Simulator X - jerky movements .

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 21st, 2020 08:00

Sorry wrong forum.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 21st, 2020 09:00

What is an Alienware R7? Do you mean Alienware Aurora-R7 ?

Clean-Install of Windows-10 64bit works fine if you do it right.

MFS-X has to be the Steam-Version to have a chance or working (but even that is old). Are you sure you have the Compatibility Settings set properly ?

If you want fast-and-smooth, your Aurora-R7 should have a SSD as bootable C-Drive. Additionally, go ahead and install MFS-X to the C-Drive (Steam can have more than one install destination). Make it a basic/vanilla install for now.

How many monitors are you running, and what resolution?

If you are just posting to vent/complain/warn ... that is fine but we users can't really help with that. I have an Aurora-R6 with a Nvidia GTX-1070, running a 27inch (1440p) monitor. It runs all my apps and games smoothly.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 21st, 2020 11:00

@pg1566    Alienware R7 32GB Ram , 1080TI Video card(11GB)

What CPU do you have and are you 'air' or 'liquid' cooled?

August 2nd, 2020 18:00

Me too.  $2,000+ for the R7 Desktop with 32G RAM.  another $349 for the Dell 24" Touch Screen Monitor.

The Monitor goes dark and doesn't recognize the pc (DP) anytime there is a windows update.  DELL acts interested in helping (it is 100% a DELL ISSUE), then they say my service tag is expired.  I can promise DELL I will never have a service tag again -- thats for sure.  RIP OFF COMPANY!

August 2nd, 2020 18:00

Glad you are happy with your Aurora R6 Desktop.

My DELL ALIENWARE AURORA R7 DESKTOP 32G has been nothing but tinkering, for 2.5 years now.  DELL is no help.  Research shows is 100% a DELL issue.

1 Rookie

• 

176 Posts

August 3rd, 2020 05:00

The fact you you cant upgrade the processor to an I9, because the Bios wont let you and Dell kept quiet about it until finally cornered, means for me i have to agree with you. I would never have bought it if i had known.

Mine runs great now i have upgraded the memory, the video card and installed a great big SSD. Again restricted by what Dell allows into its advertised fully up-gradable 18 month old PC.

Dells Software is also quirky. No way should customours be required to delve into the deathtrap that regedit can be to fully uninstall stuff.

The R-7 also features a top cover that is almost impossible to get off. The manual says you can, but i have seen no evidence of it being done easily but plenty of advice, not to bother trying.

I like Alienware, always been a big fan but the R-7 is for me an expensive PC that i spent good money on, then had to spend more money on to stop it freezing in games and to calm the fans down. 

No Events found!