Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 19th, 2022 20:00

Alienware X51 R2 BIOS update problem

I may be looking incorrectly at where to find my latest BIOS version, but I was under the impression it was by looking under MSINFO. In which case, I see BIOS Mode: UEFI; BaseBoard Manufacturer: Alienware; BaseBoard Product: 0PGRP5; BaseBoard Version: A02.

This left me with the impression that I have an extremely outdated BIOS.

So I went to update the BIOS here https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=knrkv&oscode=wt64a&productcode=alienware-x51-r2, and even used my service tag number to make sure I was getting the right one. It recommended A07, being the newest.

However, when I went to install, the BIOS installer told me I have a newer version: A12, and therefore it can't downgrade the BIOS.

The BIOS must be as current as possible because I just ordered a CPU to upgrade my i5 (already checked compatibility, but I have to have a BIOS newer than A06). I've very concerned that something is being read wrong, or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. I would appreciate feedback on where I can see the updated BIOS versions if not in MSINFO.

Thank you.

I have a Windows 10, 64-bit.

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

September 20th, 2022 03:00

Baseboard version is the board revision

Bios version is listed under BIOS version/Date. Should be 6 lines up.

You can also enter the motherboard BIOS and see the BIOS version listed there.

1 Rookie

• 

38 Posts

September 20th, 2022 02:00

In msinfo, the BIOS details should be listed just below processor (it is in mine) as BIOS Version/Date

You could also try using other software like HWInfo or CPU-Z

No Events found!