Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

March 11th, 2018 15:00

Alienware X51 boot problem

Hello!

After updating my Windows 10 to recent Greater's update my x51 started to freeze during OS boot. The screen shows alien face and nothing happens. After several reboots it continuous to work fine and than it happens again.

I tried to solve this problem by updating all the drivers but it didn't help. In the end I decided to reinstall Windows from USB drive but I got another problem - after few seconds booting from USB drive computer crushes into the screen of death and reboots itself. It happens both in Legacy and UEFI mods.

So right now I just don't know what to do with this problem. Any ideas?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 11th, 2018 19:00

Try to run ePSA Diags.

Also, check that fans (especially on CPU and GPU) are working.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

March 12th, 2018 13:00

Hi @CrazyMrWookiee,

What's your system revision?

March 12th, 2018 14:00

Hi!

It's Windows 10, 1709 (16299.248).

March 12th, 2018 14:00

Thanks for advise! Did that but ePSA test showed no problems with my hardware, including fans.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

March 15th, 2018 15:00

X51 R1,R2,R3?

March 15th, 2018 19:00

It’s R2.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 15th, 2018 20:00

@CrazyMrWookieewrote:

Thanks for advise! Did that but ePSA test showed no problems with my hardware, including fans.

Oh, OK. I thought maybe it was over-heating during boot.

Maybe the Hard-Drive is bad? Did the ePSA check it's SMART (health) status?

March 15th, 2018 21:00

Tesla1856

Yes, it did. Status is OK. But I think I'll try to run some other Hard Drive tests besides ePSA just in case.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 15th, 2018 21:00

@CrazyMrWookieewrote:

Tesla1856

Yes, it did. Status is OK. But I think I'll try to run some other Hard Drive tests besides ePSA just in case.

Yeah, you might want to.

Because:

- If ePSA says hardware is good

and

- the perfect Windows-10 64bit is getting installed to a working drive

and it's still not working (can't make it through a complete install and First-Time-Setup)

Then I think that means you have some hardware problem that ePSA can't detect. Follow me?

EDIT: And yes, I have seen this a couple of times before on various machines. IIRC, it turned-out to be a bad motherboard or some other major component (connected-to or installed-in the motherboard).

And of course, you must have a good Power-Supply sub-system.

May 23rd, 2018 07:00

I have the same issue that my X51 R3 always hang before login screen. I have changed to two M.2 SSDs and reinstalled windows 10 from scratch, but it is still happening everyday. I need to reset it when it hang and it can load into windows 10 with no issue after reset.

50 Posts

May 24th, 2018 07:00

I have exact same problem with my X51-r2. Have done all diagnostics and clean install of Windows 10. Latest Dell Bios installed. Already had motherboard replaced once but that was a different issue entirely it would endlessly boot loop.

I get Alien Head freeze then ctrl-alt-del reloads it then boot up goes through normally but this sometimes messes up Windows update if it happens during a required reboot.

No help at all here? I can't afford to spend more money on this computer. I don't even game so it has never reheated. Fans work fine and are very load sometimes. Also passed all diagnostics as did mb and hard drive and every other component!

May 24th, 2018 19:00

I agree with you. I will just reinstall to Windows 7 shortly. 

May 24th, 2018 22:00

The only possible solution i’v found - to turn off fast startup in W10. It worked for some users but didn’t for me, lol.
No Events found!