Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

57 Posts

May 12th, 2018 08:00

Area 51 R2 CPU cooler/radiator upgrade

So does anybody know if the Corsair hydro series H80i V2 will fit in the Area 51 R2? I know that the thickness of the Corsair won't be a problem and pretty sure height wise it wouldn't be either, other than possibly having to move my GPU down to the middle slot. But, width wise it doesn't look like there is any headroom at all. Does anybody know the dimensions of the stock radiator for the Area 51 r2? Or, I found this, ARCTIC COOLING Liquid Freezer 120 ACFRE00016A 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler, which is probably better and maybe it would work? Also, as for the mounting plate for the CPU cooler, does it need to be changed with the one that comes with the kit for either of course Intel or AMD? Or can you reuse the one that the stock Alienware pump was connected to?

57 Posts

May 15th, 2018 11:00

Guess nobody knows.

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

May 16th, 2018 08:00

Forum 'Community' search nets a few 80i archived / locked threads

Here's a photo link, GT and V2 are the same cooler 

There is no spare USB header, so you need a splitter hub >

Original alien cooler (K31VH) is entry-level 27mm wide (120x27), the Threadripper R3/R6 cooler is the same 48mm/49mm wide as GT/V2 (120x49); memory that is not too tall would be suggested. R3/R6 48mm wide uses a solo-38mm wide rad-fan, therefore your best bet would be a solo 25mm wide PWM fan with good static pressure (but not dual push-pull 25mils) or re-use your 38mil fan. Solo 25mil would help keep rad away from memory ...

You'd use the Intel socket 2011 type retainer provided in the new box (no backplate required), you can re-use the stock retainer in some or most instances if its an Asetek cooler. The Arctic cooler you linked to is or has the same Gen 5 pump as the threadripper alien cooler, same cooler, both made by Asetek (Corsair made by Asetek too)

Post your results, and buy from a source that accepts easy returns (Newegg/MicroCenter) 

This was my 49mm Asetek paired to a 25mil pwm fan

57 Posts

May 16th, 2018 22:00

So I seen the thicker radiator in the thread ripper and if I got my hands on one, would it work without the usb problem? Or is this something that Alienware has added and not a problem in the r3 or r4 with the usb? Actually, after looking into it, it's the area 51 r6 with the thicker radiator and doubt I can find those anywhere as of yet.

57 Posts

May 17th, 2018 06:00

Also , I read somewhere that the Arctic cooler doesn't use the USB. So, if that would be true then the Arctic cooler wouldn't have the problem like the Corsair I take it. As far as the push and pull with the arctic cooler. I have the low profile ram and it looks like it wouldn't be a issue.

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

May 17th, 2018 11:00

The  R3   / R6 cooler part# is TFGHM and HR6V4, cost is prolly $215, chat with Dell Sales for availability

215.jpg

If it came with an AMD retention ring you'd swap on your 2011 ring

USB-based coolers, you either buy a hub or simply do not connect it (do not run the software), let CmndCntr do its thing as with the original cooler. But yes, the Arctic cooler isn't USB-based, so no issue there

57 Posts

May 17th, 2018 20:00

Thanks for the response, the only other question I got is, the wire that runs from the Arctic CPU cooler itself, now can I replug it into the same spot on the motherboard as the Alienware CPU cooler? It looks like the plug is the same to me. I looked at the questions on Newegg and they say to pig tail all 3 wires to the CPU fan plug in, but that I'm sure won't work on the Alienware motherboard. That and a guy said not to do that because if it shorts out it will burn that plug in out, but in my case it seems I am gonna have to reuse the plug where the CPU cooler is anyways.

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

May 18th, 2018 11:00

the K31VH aliencooler by Asetek is designed with the same 3 wire (ground power RPM)(housed in a 3+1 pwm connector) as the rest are, just plug new cooler into same fan/pump header you're plugged into now = get same result

57 Posts

May 19th, 2018 07:00

Thanks again, I'll post back when I get everything, since I'm upgrading the CPU as well and just need to get everything and see how it goes.

57 Posts

May 27th, 2018 21:00

Well  I got the Arctic liquid freezer installed. However  it seems the pump is not running and the push fan is not either. So, not sure what the problem is? 

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

May 28th, 2018 07:00

If it were my situation, I have adapters here to test coolers by placing constant 12volts / ground to one. Another type of adapter is this, simple molex/fan:

If I needed to test a cooler without an adapter, I believe I'd install the original cooler back on, power up, launch CmndCntr, set the lower front fan to a manual fixed speed of 100% > open side panel / unplug it > now plug in cooler to that header, listen or feel if it turns on - it either will or won't - then I'd plug the push fan in, see if it comes on

If both work (CmndCntr Thermals page still displayed) with PC still running I'd quickly disconnect the original cooler from its header (cpu pump now failed?) / plug in Arctic cooler / does it now come on (cpu pump running? failed? still failed?); next, disconnect original rad-fan / plug in new fan / does it work off that header? (An alternative would be to install new fan with original cooler, test the pair together), did the RPM go to zero in thermals widget?

otherwise, 4pin pwm fan is lower left header / 3-wire cooler is upper right as above, such a setup is almost universal, both simply run off fan headers, be they 3pin or 4pin

57 Posts

May 28th, 2018 08:00

Thanks again for the response, the directions say about daisy chaining all 3 wires together  including the CPU pump. So, I don't know if I should do that  but I only have the pull fan installed as of right now, which it seemed to be working ok, since it picked up rpms as the CPU got hotter since the pump does not seem to be working. I don't have much experience just so you know when doing upgrades to the PC hardware, I'm in the learning stage lol

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

May 28th, 2018 14:00

The best I can say is that I offered a way to test the pump motor coming on, by holding the pump head in your hand after having plugged it into a working chassis fan header

For that matter, on a cool PC that's been sitting, you could plug it into the pump header (same place as original plugs in at), power up, you have a minute or less before CPU overheats but that is plenty of time to check if the pump turns on while you're holding the pump head in your hand (yes or no, works or doesn't, shut down PC after 15 seconds), if it wants to come on it will make an air bubbly sound or you'll feel a hum when u hold it and / or both

A pump that is bad or has no power, PC / CPU will quickly overheat in a minute or 2 or 3, while a pump motor that works (has power and turns on) but isn't fully seated (not installed correctly) the CPU will gradually overheat

You can daisy chain them as they instructed (I read the HARDOCP review) at least to test with, then go from there. I believe I'd order that molex-to-fan adapter in case u ever need to test pump motor operation using constant 12v on a PSU molex 4pin cable

No Events found!