Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

June 6th, 2018 19:00

Area-51 R2, ram upgrade issues

I searched through the community threads but it is possible I missed a previous thread that addressed this. It is possible I'm completely blind. (Sometimes I miss stuff, sorry!)

I have an Area-51 R2. All stock hardware. It is my understanding I currently have the following stock ram installed:
2x4GB, DDR4 2133Mhz - PC4-17000, 15-15-15-36, ?v
(also verified with HWiNFO64)

I ordered some RAM:
2x4GB, DDR4 2133Mhz - PC4-17000, 15-15-15-36, 1.2v.

I put the other two ram chips in and hit the power button. Sounds like it powers on but won't show the Alienware startup screen. Makes soft clicking noise every 4-5 seconds. Repeats. Powered off computer, replaced stock ram with new ram. Same result after hitting power button. Took out new ram put in old ram only. Start up fine. 
Updated bios to A13. Boots fine. Tried to add new ram. Same result.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

3 Posts

June 7th, 2018 17:00

Interesting idea, I did not try that. 

I will when i get some time and will report back.

I will also try to figure out what component is making the clicking. 

On Alienware Arena someone mentioned it could be shorting through a component, possibly the bad ram chip. 

The ram brand is Team Group by the way. I haven't used their products before but I asked some IT guys i know that have and they said they haven't had a problem with them... as the story often goes. 

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion!

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

June 7th, 2018 17:00

Hi, 

Did you also try running one RAM module at a time? Perhaps, one of the sticks has a failure. 

No Events found!