Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

61 Posts

July 19th, 2020 20:00

Area-51 R5, PSU, RTX 3000 cards with 12 pin connector

Hi all. So with the rumors looking more and more like they are true that at least some of the next Gen RTX cards will use 12 pin connectors, I'm wondering if they will be compatible with the AW PSUs, specifically the 850w and 1500w that come in the Area-51 desktops. If they are not directly compatible, are there adapters that exist that would make it work? 

For those of us that just bought an AW recently, to not be able to upgrade them would be a huge stab in the back, especially those of us who have the Area-51 R5, R6, or R7. I would think maybe there would be another PSU that people could pop in their Aurora's because they still make them. But, for the Area-51, I'm not aware of any other PSU that works in it without a lot of additional work and I seriously doubt any additional PSU's would be made for it from Dell or anyone else to support the new 12 pin cards. Anyway, I would appreciate any help or thoughts you guys have on this. Thanks. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 19th, 2020 20:00

@Awhispersecho 

r72019
4 Ruthenium

‎07-16-2020 10:35 PM

Yeah, but I thought the rumor was you can plug in two 6 PIN connectors to get it to work. Seems odd if Nvidia would require a new 12 PIN connector/adapter (that couldn't be connected to two 6PINs) in order to use the GPU, I mean there's no mainstream PSUs in the market that currently offer a 12PIN GPU connector.  

"It seems like users with good PSUs can still plug in two 6-pin power connectors given they meet the high efficiency required to sustain an enthusiast-grade graphics card. But then again, anyone running a $500 US+ graphics card would already be rocking a pretty decent quality PSU.

So it looks like the addition of this new 12-pin power connector won't require any big changes and you will indeed be able to run the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 series Ampere gaming graphics cards without having to worry about buying a new PSU that falls in the standard of your brand new graphics card."

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-30-ampere-gaming-graphics-cards-new-power-connector-rumor/

No Events found!