Start a Conversation

Unsolved

O

8 Posts

June 7th, 2018 11:00

Area-51, all fans 100%, no boot

My A51 i7 has been doing this randomly and I had been able to get it back after some troubleshooting in the past, but not this time. When it powers on, all the vents open, and fan all go to 100% but nothing will show on screen. I can't get to BIOS or diagnostics. I've pulled and drained power, pulled the ram, went down to one stick, even tried pulling the power to the MIO board, no luck. I'm trying to figure out the best way to identify the fault so that I can fix this computer. Also, one other minor issue, is there no way to turn off HDMI control? I have it hooked up to my surround system, but when ever the amp turns off it send the HDMI control off signal and the computer just shuts off, not even a shut down, just power off. I've turned off HDMI control on the AMP, but it still does it. 

Thank you in advance for any help.

June 7th, 2018 21:00

I got this used, it has no service tag on it. 

Model is D01X

The mobo is the MS-7543 Ver 2.0
The MIO board is the MS-4195

*Update*

I've pulled the peripherals, the ram, re-seated them all and have also reset the CMOS. 
Still not getting it to boot.

I'm wondering if the MIO board has failed, because of the fans going on full and not getting into BIOS. 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

Hi, 

Send me your Service Tag in a PM, so we can look further into this. 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

June 8th, 2018 17:00

Hi, 

In this case, we recommend that you take the system to a local repair shop. Considering the troubleshooting procedures that you have already tried, it does sound like a motherboard failure. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 9th, 2018 08:00

@OtoriShinigami wrote:

Also, one other minor issue, is there no way to turn off HDMI control?

I have it hooked up to my surround system, but when ever the amp turns off it send the HDMI control off signal and the computer just shuts off, not even a shut down, just power off. 

I've turned off HDMI control on the AMP, but it still does it.  

For HDMI-CEC to work, it must be enabled at both ends (both/all components in chain). Likewise, disabling it at Amp/AVR would be enough to stop it (likely system wide since everything home-runs to AVR).

However, I've never really heard of HDMI-CEC working with a Windows computer (or ever seen it with any of my Home Theater builds).

No, I don't think the problem you were having is related to HDMI-CEC.

-

Sounds like an Area51-R1 ALX (circa 2010-2011) . Maybe its time for a new one anyway?

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/Alienware-Desktop-General-Hardware-Troubleshooting/m-p/5555517#M57436

June 11th, 2018 08:00

I have ordered a new MIO board, I was really hoping that would be the issue. But a motherboard problem does seem probable, consider I can not get any video output with the 4 different video cards I've now tried in each of the VGA slots. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 11th, 2018 09:00

Start with the power supply.

OVER VOLTAGING is frying everything when you turn it on and you don't know if the power supply is bad or not.  It may already be too late.

June 11th, 2018 10:00

That a great point, I have a supply tester I'll check the voltages with. 

Is there a reference guide for what the voltages should be for each connections and PIN out?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 11th, 2018 10:00

@OtoriShinigami wrote:

1. I have ordered a new MIO board, I was really hoping that would be the issue. 2. But a motherboard problem does seem probable, consider I can not get any video output with the 4 different video cards I've now tried in each of the VGA slots. 

1. Even with the MIO-Board disconnected, the Area51-R1 should still BIOS post (or at least some initial video images of BIOS trying to Initialize). 

2. Yeah, sounds like something else might be bad inside machine.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 11th, 2018 18:00

@OtoriShinigami wrote:

That a great point, I have a supply tester I'll check the voltages with. 

Is there a reference guide for what the voltages should be for each connections and PIN out?

You can get voltages and pin-outs of industry standard ATX Power-Supply plugs in various places on Internet .

However, if you are using a Digital Power Supply Tester ... it takes care of all that ... each plug is either pass-or-fail for the voltages it caries. 

June 12th, 2018 08:00

Well looks like the power supply is good, it's voltages are all showing within the right ranges. 

I'm just waiting for the mother board and MIO board to show up now, so either way looks like I may have a spare of one or the other. 

June 14th, 2018 08:00

I did the mother board swap last night and still the same thing is happening. 

The only difference now is that there's a blue flashing LED on the MIO board. 

June 14th, 2018 21:00

Ok now the MIO and motherboard's have been changed. 

Nothing has changed in the boot up, still all the fans and no video output. 

I went back to the troubleshooting basics and I'm not getting any beep codes at all, with no ram or video cards installed. 

June 15th, 2018 20:00

I've got a question about testing the PSU.

When I do the test, in I unplug the MIO from the PSU I 0ms on the PG. 

But when the MIO board is plugged in I get a good 350ms.

Is this the right way to test for the Area 51?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 15th, 2018 21:00

@OtoriShinigami wrote:

I've got a question about testing the PSU.

When I do the test, in I unplug the MIO from the PSU I 0ms on the PG. 

But when the MIO board is plugged in I get a good 350ms.

Is this the right way to test for the Area 51?

When testing a SMPS with a Digital Power Supply Tester ... the 20 or 24 pinner for MB ... I only have the tester connected to the SMPS ... but itself. In this case, also the modular harness ... but all the cables would be disconnected from the components.

Accord to my notes ... "good" PG numbers are like 310, 330, 350.

Also, I think maybe the MIO-Board power cable stays hot ... even when the machine is turned off (as long as it's plugged in to the wall).

No Events found!