Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

August 8th, 2018 01:00

Area51 - Partitions and Formatting

Hi everybody.

Now I own two Area51 R5. One works excellently (7820x GTX1070 M.2 512GB) and another (7800x GTX1060 M.2 256GB) always gave me blue screens after updates, system restore and various formatting. Dell 's assistance made me format the PC from a USB drive (using a copy of Windows 10 downloaded from Microsoft) making me delete all the partitions (DellSupport, WinReTools, etc.). The PC continued to give blue screens. Then I formatted it again using Dell OS Recovery Tool. I have installed only the drivers suggested by Dell Support Assist but the problem of the blue screens has always reappeared. I'd like to know:

1) If the OEM partitions are indispensable, is there a way to 'rebuild' them?
2) In the BIOS (Advanced \ Integrated Devices) the SATA mode, must be set to AHCI or Intel Smart Response?

I do not know how the assistance is going to help me. The PC is stopped. Basically I used this PC (the one with the 7800x) just to make updates and formatting. The blue screens showed up after updates to Windows. The 1803 is not able to install (after hours of 'preparation' it always hangs). Blue screen even after the first simple system restore (it was practically new). Thank you.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 8th, 2018 11:00

@Area51XE wrote:

I own two Area51 R5. One works excellently (7820x GTX1070 M.2 512GB) and another (7800x GTX1060 M.2 256GB) always gave me blue screens after updates, system restore and various formatting.

0. I formatted it again using Dell OS Recovery Tool. I have installed only the drivers suggested by Dell Support Assist but the problem of the blue screens has always reappeared. 

1) If the OEM partitions are indispensable, is there a way to 'rebuild' them?

2) In the BIOS (Advanced \ Integrated Devices) the SATA mode, must be set to AHCI or Intel Smart Response?

3. The 1803 is not able to install (after hours of 'preparation' it always hangs). Blue screen even after the first simple system restore (it was practically new). 

0. Just from that statement, sounds like bad core-hardware (motherboard, ram, video card, etc.)

Does it pass ePSA ?

1. No. And no, they are not indispensable or important

https://dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Need-help-factory-reinstalling-Windows-10-on-new-Alienware-R7/td-p/6065268

2. With no Optane-Module installed, I prefer AHCI and never install Intel-RST in Windows. This is how I setup other machines. It's a "lean build-up" and works great.

3. I have v1803 running on new machines and old ones too ... no problems.

You can track BSoD in Windows Reliability Report . Also, BlueScreenView might help pin them down.

16 Posts

August 9th, 2018 01:00

@Tesla1856 wrote:

0. Just from that statement, sounds like bad core-hardware (motherboard, ram, video card, etc.)

Does it pass ePSA ?

1. No. And no, they are not indispensable or important

https://dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Need-help-factory-reinstalling-Windows-10-on-new-Alienware-R7/td-p/6065268

2. With no Optane-Module installed, I prefer AHCI and never install Intel-RST in Windows. This is how I setup other machines. It's a "lean build-up" and works great.

3. I have v1803 running on new machines and old ones too ... no problems.

You can track BSoD in Windows Reliability Report . Also, BlueScreenView might help pin them down.

0) Yes. ePSA (5 minutes) is ok. To have a complete test i have to wait over 7 hours.

1) Ok. Even the big one is unuseful? I saw on the 7820x a 14GB partition (Image).

2) Ok. It was just a curiosity because when I did the first formatting I had to set up AHCI. Then, with Dell OS Recovery Tool, I started from F12.

3) I do not know what happened. I will call for assistance again. The system is unusable. I wanted to check something but I get blue screens every 2 minutes (whea uncorrectable error). I remember the only time I started the Stress Test from Support Assist and stopped at 90%. In that case there was a BSOD with error code 0x0000009c.

Thank you very much. You are very kind.

No Events found!