Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

152 Posts

November 10th, 2022 07:00

Area-51 R4, BIOS 2.0.7 caused serious performance issue.

Upgraded from 2.0.6 to 2.0.7. At first everything looked fine. Then I started running CPU bound applications that process data through Berkeley University. The completion times of the tasks normally take an hour or less. Instead, they are taking over 4 hours, way slower than older Xeon systems I am also running. In addition, the CPU utilization is under %50. Something is stealing CPU cycles or possibly the internal cache of the I9-7900X has been disabled. System was working fine before the bios upgrade.

50-util

I tried to downgrade the bios and was not permitted. I then re-flashed the bios to be sure I had put in the R4 version and not the R5 (just guessing). The re-flash worked fine but no difference. CPU utilization of my I9-7900x is still under %50.  About the same time the bios was upgraded there was massive feature upgrade from windows. I assume the problem is the bios. I also removed my RTX-3070 and put the gtx-p1660ti back in thinking the new RTX was causing the problem.

I looked at the bios file with hex editor and spotted ""..forceit.forcetype.." so I assume the bios downgrade can be forced assuming I can figure out how to run the executable. Currently the 2.0.6 bios cannot be executed due to its certificate being expired.

How can I downgrade the BIOS from 2.0.7 to 2.0.6?

1 Rookie

• 

152 Posts

November 11th, 2022 20:00

OK, solved the problem, sort of.  First, it was not possible to downgrade.

Secondly, and more important, the BIOS was not the problem.  It was the 22H2 update that occurred about the same time as the BIOS update and the new video board install.

I pulled the SSD "C" and the "D" HDD and put in an old drive from a Dell laptop that still had Windows 10 home on it.  Took a while but it booted to where I could run my applications.  They all ran fine just like they were supposed to:  At or near %100 CPU utilization.  I then googled 22H2 slowdown and hit the motherload of complaints.

I put the C and D back I and tried every suggestion that google dished up but was stuck at under %50 utilization no matter what option I enabled or disabled.  It has been 10 days since 22H2 went in so no easy way to get back to when the system was working.  All recovery points are after 22H2.  Going to beg on answers.microsoft.com

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

November 10th, 2022 14:00

I think I might have mentioned before to not upgrade a BIOS unless it adds a feature you absolutely need, or unless it fixes an issue you are experiencing.

They typically lock them down and will not allow a downgrade when the new version includes security fixes.

210 Posts

November 12th, 2022 16:00

I've seen this type of behavior with boinc before, specially when running einstien@home. (backup project) with other projects,the times would go up for no reason . I usually shut down boinc before completion and in my case, it "resets" the timers to normal. It looks like there is idling time added somewhere...strange!

That particular project can use multiple cpu's to compute one wu.

Anyway, I don't think it's really a windows or bios  problem but, they (M$),  do modify the code to keep-up over safety problems,bugs and new hardware coming into the market, so all the softwares have to adapt.

I try not to run that project  with others . I think there is a problem with boinc or that project.

No Events found!