Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

March 25th, 2018 14:00

Auora R7 Hard Drive Upgrade Question

Hi Everyone

I have an Alienware Aurora R7 with 1 TB HHD and 13 Gb Intel Optane. I upgraded it to a  4 TB HHD, but I have some problem with the Optane memory, so I returned to the old one.

Has Someone had the same problem, and how you guys resolved it?

Any help will be appreciated

vihuse

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 25th, 2018 22:00

I have no expereince with Optane ... I would rather use that M.2 slot for a real PCIe/NVMe SSD.

Maybe you can get some help here:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln306541/optane-enabled-system-may-not-boot-when-a-hard-drive-or-optane-device-fails?lang=en

As for the 4tb spinning HDD ... follow correct procedures for installing that so you don't hit 2gb barrier.

43 Posts

March 26th, 2018 10:00

Hi vihuse,

It is important to disable Optane Memory before you remove your original HDD.  Go into the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (it should be in the Task Tray), and disable Optane Memory there.  Once you have done that, you can safely upgrade your HDD.  Once it is installed, and running make sure to install Intel RST (if it is not already there), and then you can re-enable it :-)  See here for more info: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025569/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

Rich S.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

March 26th, 2018 10:00

Hi @vihuse,

You have to reinstall windows, download a new version of Optane IRST, load the F6 driver in the setup, and reconfigure it from windows
If you did not format and just cloned the HDD or if you just reinstalled, you have to do this:

How to Install an Intel Optane M.2 NVMe Accelerator into your Existing Dell OptiPlex / Inspiron / Precision / Alienware System

Also, SATA mode should be on RAID. 

4 Posts

March 26th, 2018 16:00

Thanks

LinkRs

4 Posts

Thanks

Alienware-Eimy

4 Posts

Thanks