Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

4 Posts

September 5th, 2020 17:00

Aurora 11, new, not functioning from day 1

I am going to post this here as well, I have already sent this to Dell Tech Support and its yet to be determined if they will respond to me. Just a forewarning for anyone else that may be considering purchasing a new Aurora 11.

I am currently in the process of waiting for Dell to ship me a box so I can send my NEW PC away to be 'repaired'.

The more I think about this, the more aggravating this becomes and this is very upsetting. I could have went and purchased this PC at numerous other companies, but I chose to purchase it with Dell (and support Dell for my first time). This is a $3600 computer. So I have been an excellent customer and really put a lot of my money in with Dell.

I received my PC last week in the mail. It barely worked for 1 day before freezing constantly and not being able to make it past the Windows loading screen. That alone is enough to warrant me being upset, but, this has continued as follows:

I called tech support (which I sat on the phone with them for 3 hours trying to figure out what was wrong). Tech support had me go out, purchase a new USB stick, claiming that the issue was with Windows 10 and not the PC. So I followed directions. 

I then sat on the phone the following night for a couple of hours while tech support again claimed now that was not the issue, and it was my SSD that was at fault. They even directed me to take the computer apart myself and remove the SSD, which of course I am not even remotely comfortable doing. Thinking back on this, I am livid Dell would suggest someone do ANYTHING with a new $3600 computer that is not functioning. Seriously does this not seem odd!?

Next step, they send a Dell tech to my house. I took the day off of work to accommodate Dell’s tech schedule. He promptly changed the SSD, and once the computer began to run Windows updates, he told me 'this is resolved and where I leave'. Again, thinking back on this upsets me even more considering he did not stick around to at least make sure it was functioning properly. You know Dell claims they will satisfy their customers, but in actuality he was not much help at all. Does Dell not claim they will make sure everything is functioning correctly? This is A NEW COMPUTER! This is how Dell treats its customers? 

After the technician left, the computer literally functioned correctly for about 45 minutes, and hard locked AGAIN. Only this time, it wont even turn back on. AGAIN, I call tech support. I am instructed AGAIN to potentially remove RAM myself, and I finally have had enough and suggest the computer be sent to the repair Depot. That's right, I suggested that, not Dell. What is going on here!? Why am I suggesting this!?

Why is Dell suggesting a broken new computer be repaired when they should just return the PC and send me a new one? Why am I even writing this letter right now!? I cannot believe that this has happened the way it has, and it absolutely is the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. If someone purchases a product from a store, brand new, and it is broken from the start, does that not get returned and they are given a new product that is working? Why has Dell multiple times failed to fix this issue? Clearly the computer sent to me is a lemon, or cannot function correctly with what I had hoped would be a very powerful PC. I honestly do not know what the issue is, but this is exactly how I can assume the next step is going to go considering how Dell has handled this issue already, and judging by how tech support spoke to me last night:

The computer will be sent away to the repair center, they are going to change the RAM which I can almost guarantee is not going to be a lasting fix. The computer will be diagnosed, it will be sent back to me, and again it will crash after some time of use. Why do I say this? Because the RAM is also just a guess on Dells end, and the computer DOES WORK initially, but after being on and running for a period of time once again will hard freeze and crash.

I really would like an actual appropriate and decent response from Dell on this issue. I would really like to know why this all has not been expedited immediately and why Dell would rather repair a broken new computer I've spent $3600 on, then actually solve the issue for me by replacing the entire computer, and 100% verifying that this issue does not happen again.

This is completely unacceptable. Again, why am I even in a situation where I am contacting Dell in this way? I would really appreciate that this letter be given to management or a supervisor.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

September 5th, 2020 17:00

You are still within the return window. You can return, wait until the end of September, and then repurchase a new pc from Alienware (or other retailer) with the RTX 3090, which is a big generational leap from the 2080 Ti. That way too you won't end up with refurbished parts on a new machine.

1 Message

September 6th, 2020 05:00

I did a double take when I saw this post, because the title sounds very similar to my situation.

I recently received an Aurora R11 that died within about an hour of receiving it on Wednesday September 2nd.  I've asked for a replacement rather than a repair (PC requires a new main board due to the first round of updates after OOBE bricking it with a bad BIOS). I've been told that requires approval, and they don't expect to be able to get a response back on if it will be approved until next week. I'm surprised it takes that long, considering I am within that 30 days.

Seeing that many others have had this issue and the update hasn't been pulled is concerning. I don't think I would be comfortable doing any updates once the PC is out of warranty (or even during if it means replacement with a refurbished part).

4 Posts

September 6th, 2020 07:00

Thank you so much for writing this. I appreciate you taking the time to share your similar situation.
 At the least, it is good to know I am not the only one. Upsetting to hear others are experiencing similar issues, and getting the run around from Dell. I am kind of lost for what to do at this point. I received a private message from an 'online tech' stating that they would 'look into this issue'. Still no response from that. I find it even more aggrevating that they even asked for my service tag/ express service number. So, let me get this straight, they claim to be online support, yet, they need to ask for the two most basic pieces of information to look into my situation? Something is not right there at all. @acafarelli I hope your situation is resolved as well, and very sorry to hear your going threw something similar. PLEASE keep me updated if you can on what happens, and again thank you so much for responding to me. It helps a lot.

4 Posts

September 6th, 2020 08:00

@r72019

Thank you as well for your suggestions. I do appreciate them. In regards to your first post about the new NVIDIA cards releasing, I am ok with the 2080 super for at least the next year (and then I assumed I would upgrade once the dust has settled on them). I am slightly bummed I spent a lot more on a GPU that is not as powerful, but for the time being it is what it is, and it is still a very decent card. Not to mention the current system I have been using for 5 years is an AMD Radeon R9 390. So the 2080super is a big leap for me personally. I know it wont be top of the line in a few weeks, but for myself, it was pretty awesome. Or I guess I should say, WAS going to be a big leap before all of this has happened.

My main concern is a computer that is dead, and the lack of assistance from Dell in regards to this.

Thank you for supplying that link, I tried clicking it and this is what came up:

Returns

Order Return is not available for this location. Please contact care for more details.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

September 6th, 2020 08:00

The link for returns is different from the link for repair/ replacemnt service.  File a return claim and they get back to you right away.

https://www.dell.com/support/orders/us/en/04/returns

50 Posts

September 6th, 2020 14:00

This sounds very similar to my own experience with a new R11 (though different hardware issue, I'd expect).

I'd agree that if you have to send a new machine in for hardware repair within the first month, it should be a new machine expedited to you automatically, and/or they should upfront just offer a refund.

If you're sending yours in, be braced for a poor-fitting box and foam for the return. And be ready for a parts backlog where they keep trying to extend how long they say any repair will take.

You may get lucky with a quick and simple fix where they can get your current machine back to you and you still have a couple weeks to assess if it's working within their 30 day thing. But... I don't know who'd really want to keep a machine that had to be sent for repairs right away, even if they say it's fixed.

Anyway, you may just want to request a new exchange machine right off the bat, or a refund, if you have to send it in like this.

For what it's worth, after my own situation dragged out, they did agree to send me a new machine, albeit with an F chip (no integrated graphics), which is not what I originally ordered. The tracking number went up a couple days ago, but FedEx doesn't have it yet, so we'll see what's next. And I have a whole new Dell Rewards issue with them (where they drained my rewards but also charged me full price for something), so I'm not done with their customer service yet, even if the new computer works....

4 Posts

September 6th, 2020 16:00

@QD9X 

Thank you for sharing your recent experience, I know it doesn't make any difference for either of us, but I really appreciate you taking the time to warn me about some of the potential issues to come. It also freaks me out hearing what you and others are going through. Really nervous and freaked out. Still no word from Dell...

2.2K Posts

September 6th, 2020 17:00

If you cannot initiate a return using their online tool, please contact order support ASAP. Do not contact tech support because they will just make you run circles.

Call order support, have you invoice, purchase order, and their return policy printed out/ screenshot as to proof you are with it your absolute right to return. If you believe you have all the facts and eligible for return, do not hang up until you get an RMA. Record the entire conversation.

The last time I couldn’t get a return done online, I “offered” to send it to their Silicon Valley HQ which is the next freeway exit from where I work. Got UPS to pick up my return the next day and money back in 7 days.

1 Message

April 7th, 2021 14:00

I'm with you on this I bought a Alienware Aurora r11 2070 Super a few months ago the computer didn't even last 3 months before it broke and would not turn on I've had 2 techs do repairs and also sent it out too the repair facility and I get it back still broken so now I'm waiting for the next step this was also my first time buying from Dell and first time I ever had a computer break on me and I see a lot of users having all kinds of problems it blows my mind that these things are selling for 2000 up too what you paid I'm afraid if they do fix it it will just break again eventually and if they exchange it its only a matter of time before that one breaks too, I have always wanted a Alienware PC and this is just disappointing its been a month sense it broke and most likely I wont have a gaming pc for another month or so.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

April 7th, 2021 15:00

From what I have noticed observing postings of computers with issues on this board, is that Dell does not seem to have a handle on diagnosing issues and get to the actual root cause of the failure(s).

It seems they run some tests and change one or another component out, in the hope it fixes the issue.

With the problem you have, a brand new expensive machine not working properly from day #1, they should be able to pinpoint exactly what the issue at and repair it for you or offer a permanent solution.

Instead they drag it out and change this part and that part, and in the end you are still left with a machine that has issues and are now possibly without a computer while you wait on them to get it repaired.

It's really sad, considering Dell prides themselves on the Alienware brand and validating all their components and customizing their solutions for optimal performance and compatibility while at the same time sometimes seemingly have no idea how to fix it if it's broken.

I don't know if it's an issue with training their technicians, or an issue with outsourcing their on site technical support to sub par third parties or what, but I  noticed several other people with similar issues like yours.

I am also sure there's many satisfied customers we never hear about. But it's just striking how similar these "horror" stories are.

2.2K Posts

April 7th, 2021 16:00

@Vanadiel :

I am also sure there's many satisfied customers we never hear about. But it's just striking how similar these "horror" stories are.

This is true. Most times those customers will just chug along happily. I can share a small experience with you that falls on both sides of the happiness scale.

I bought a PC in 2019 and from the get go, the 1050 Ti would be very loud and hot when running 3d games. So I ran Dell's diagnostic tool and it reported that the 1050 Ti was running at 9fps while the Intel iGPU was running 22fps.

Called Dell support and after 20 minutes waiting for an agent, they told me that the could see I ran their diagnostic and everything was reported as PASS. I had to explain that PASS doesn't mean being on parity with the expected hardware performance. That got me an appointment with a tech.

That's where the bad part of the story ends.

The local tech is stellar, very punctual, professional, and knows what he's doing. He came by, fixed the issue, we chatted for a while, and he's gone in 20 minutes.

It's a roll of the dice but if you find some boots on the ground that are dependable in your area, it turns the whole experience around.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

April 7th, 2021 16:00

The thing that I believe will solve a lot of these unexpected issues is if they would refresh their motherboards.

They use MSI for the OEM RTX cards. I am sure MSI can provide nice OEM boards to them based on the nice series of motherboards they already have.

I don't think the current boards are that great. I am personally disappointed with the R10 motherboard(s). They are based on an outdated chipset and could really use a refresh to get the functionality and performance PCIe 4.0 can deliver.

MSI also has very nice bios screens and settings. A very stark contrast with the Alienware bios that is as barren as the Sahara desert when it comes to options and looks.

I think half of the issues are caused by the motherboards.

That's just my opinion, might be completely wrong. I am just basing myself on what I see when I use mine, how I think to myself if only I could have upgraded to a retail board for another $100 extra. I pay that no problem for an Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Asrock board.

Alas, Dell has saddled me up with this OEM board.

11 Posts

April 10th, 2021 20:00

Dell is hiding their garbage components behind the Alienware name. Dell had such a bad reputation with their own brand of gaming computers they had to buy Alienware to hide their junk inside. I 110% regret buying my R11. Nothing but issue after issue after issue. I spend more time trying to fix things so I can actually play a game. At this point Im ready to just take the $3000 loss and put this thing in the dump. I couldn't honestly try to sell it to somebody else. Im going with Falcon North West for my next gaming pc.

No Events found!