Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 7th, 2018 02:00

Aurora-R1, Motherboard and CPU upgrade?

Hey,

I have an old Alienware Aurora R1. I have now upgraded this with an SSD and a good video card. Now I want to upgrade the CPU, only the highest CPU in the motherboard is the I7 990X. And I want a much newer / better CPU than this, so I have to purchase another motherboard!
Which motherboard is perfect for this (so that only the motherboard and the CPU have to be replaced and that I can use the RAM, water cooling, etc.) And it must also fit in the case and the connections must also be easy to exchange.

And which CPU will I use for that motherboard?

Thanks in advance!
Any help is appreciated!

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

September 7th, 2018 13:00

[FYI: R1 R2 R3 R4 cases house micro-ATX (u-ATX / µ-ATX)(9.6 x 9.6) form factor mthrbrds with removable rear I/O shield trim plates --> ATX boards are too tall]

Help posts like these almost require a person type a book, in order to explain fully, which is time I do not have. I'll have to put some basic info below & bailout of your thread since I won't have time for tending to the inevitable specifics

R1-R4 owners were a lazy lot; very few documented their mthrbrd swaps online, in forums / uTube; you can search online using keywords like Alienware Aurora motherboard / motherboard swap / motherboard upgrade etc & see what you find, search the archive here also with differing key words

I went back & forth last year with an R1 owner as we spit-balled a swap project (New poster needs some input); the same forum has advice for installing CmndCntr on aftermarket boards (questions are handled in that forum, not this one)

After Intel Haswell Z87 / Z97 (Gen IV), the Intel Core CPUs stopped pairing to DDR3 memory & moved to DDR4 (+ some DDR3L support), where GenV VI VII VIII IX need the newer stuff. If you wish to re-use your DDR3 you need a Gen I II III or IV CPU (but not Haswell-E x99 which uses DDR4). Older / 'newer' 'Top' CPUs might be

• micro-ATX / mATX Z87 / Z97 board paired to 4770k / 4970k paired to your DDR3, using an MSI or Asus board, for instance
  • alternative > IvyBridge-E X79 + 4820k / 4930k / 4960x + DDR3

You could try to place the R4 motherboard in there along with a Sandy/Ivy socket 2011 CPU as above, & re-use your cooler / memory (you'd need a socket 2011 retention ring). From there, to upgrade an R1 R2 R3 with the R4's top external USB3.0 port, I'd buy & install part# 5W6MX; when choosing a top I/O not listed by its part#, find one with the obvious blue 3.0 port & the large black 3.0 plug/cable, like this one to get your case updated. Alternative might be a front 3.5" or 5.25" USB 3.0 kit in your front (DVD)drive bay

Aurora R1 R2 R3 R4 cases have a 'front panel' wiring shown below, which is a basic 5x5 / 10pin design that most (but not all) mthrbrd makers are or were using; when a new mthrbrd front panel header deviates from the schematic or uses a non 5x5 design, you can re-wire by using the individual connex seen to the right, I don't have time to explain the how & why of it all ... re-wiring a front panel is info u can gather online. Typically you check the motherboard owner manual, find the scheme, compare it to the photo below: if it's identical then it is plug & play (Most MSI & some Asus use this scheme) / if it isn't then u re-wire (back pins out / move them etc) for the new board's needs

Again, when looking for a motherboard whose front panel header wiring need is the same setup as R1-R4, you'd typically download the owner manual, find its front panel photo, compare it to (JFP1) above; below is a qwik survey of:

• Asus ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING (m-ATX)
  • MSI Z370M Gaming Pro AC
  • these boards house the top (mainstream) 8700k & 8086k

Some detective work shows they're a match, plug n' play for your / my front panel; find a candidate CPU, find a candidate board & research it, as above ... either of those mthrbrds would interest me as swap material for R1-R4 cases, while next month, people can go explore the new Z390 boards 

Moving on, some of the newest boards / CPUs tend to be Win10 only; work arounds & drivers for Win7, if they exist, should be searched for online

The 38mm R4 CPU cooler, part# 01YGW would be an upgrade over the entry-level 27mm cooler you have now

Were it me, I'd buy a z170 / z270 / z370 motherboard paired to a 6700k 7700k 8700k 8086k, buy some 3000MHz+ DDR4, buy a new better larger AIO liquid cpu cooler, perhaps even wait for the brand new Gen IX z390 9700k 9900k due in October. After you're up & running, sell your old mthrbd/cpu/ddr3 (or box it, pass on to next owner)

As for internet searches, I might look for 'Aurora R4 7700k' / (R4 8700k etc) see if there's any swap material online or images 

The last successful swap I can vouch for was the photo below, sent in a private message; it's a Skylake 6700k DDR4 build that required a socket 115x cooler retention ring (where Sky Kaby Covfefe Lakes are socket 1151), Asus Maximus VIII Gene

After reading this you may need further help, the likes of which I can't provide due to time, maybe someone else can chime in or you might join / browse other forums like AlienArena

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 7th, 2018 06:00

To be blunt, if you want a new motherboard and CPU, you will also need new memory and a new CPU cooler. Probably a new power supply and most likely a new video card.  Thus you are basically building a new PC, so go for a new case so the replacement ATX motherboard will fit and the motherboard connections will mate with an ATX case.  You can use the existing hard drives and optical drives in a new case.  

Dell tends to have proprietary motherboards, front panel connections.  Also on most the rear motherboard I/O panel is part of the case, not removeable/replaceable like a standard ATX installation.

There are many nice "gamer" cases available so you can make it look however you want.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 7th, 2018 14:00

Thanks for the info and that it can be done.  But, I still think building a new computer is the best option considering all the parts that are required.  Not limited to a uATX motherboard.  

November 12th, 2019 19:00

Your response here was above and beyond and freaking perfect.

I thank you greatly for the work you did - I wonder if you would mind a quick email string on an R1 build I am interested in doing.

Just to clarify I can read board headers / pinouts etc and understand all aspects of what would generally be needed I just want the easiest most effective upgrade still keeping my Nostalgia for my R1 Tower intact but 2019 Ready.

I have already swapped to an 850 Gold Modular PSU / SSDs / Upgraded to best available Ram and a GTX 770 Card over the years.... Obviously I know the RAM is no good with newer systems so I will upgrade but I would like to make use of everything I have and rebuild the system to be ready to accept Stage II upgrade (the newer RTX Card)

I would like to keep the integrity of the case (design ports and lights) usable and I was thinking the lights might be an issue but I guess it is just a controller card with power needs so seems simple.

Im thinking all I need is a set of DDR4 Ram, Asus Z390 and whichever i7/i9 chip I need. 

I will buy that R4 Front header so I can have USB 3.0 up front.  - I am guessing the cpu cooler won't fit now what should I replace that system with and what else would I need to swap out or should I swap out.

If you don't mind a quick email chat mine is - I don't have a budget or anything just want a solid upgrade and felt it would be fun to use the same case if it all works well enough as a project build

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 13th, 2019 20:00

The challenge is keeping the AW-CC software happy and running, so your MIO-Board will continue to work (and control the lights, fans, etc).

Without those, I think the case has little value. Yes, I still have a working Aurora-R1.

No Events found!