Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

September 18th, 2020 16:00

Aurora R10, AIO shows CPU_Fan Error at boot

Got a second hand Aurora R10 3800X, 5700XT, out of the box got a pre-boot error "CPU_fan" fan not responding. Computer logs into Windows but it runs at 80C at idle, and just slowdowns massively. Both Top Fan and Front Fan almost at full blast all the time.

Updated all drivers and BIOS. strangely to me, it is showing a CPU_fan failure, where this machine has no CPU fan..the AIO is connected to pump_fan header on the motherboard. the CPU_fan header is empty. I alrea

anyone has seen something like this?

I am already incorporating I would have to be 10+ days without the machine while it goes back and forth to dell repair center, but I wanted to ask in case there is something else that could be done.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

September 19th, 2020 14:00

Sounds like the asetek pump in your AIO failed or clogged. You can try unplugging the 3 PIN connector from the motherboard and then plugging it in again to the same header.  It could also be the header burned out.  If unplugging and reconnecting doesn't work, you can try moving the connector over to the CPU_Fan header and seeing if temps improve.  If that doesn't improve temps, I'd say there is a big chance it is something wrong with your AIO unit (failed pump, clog, etc.). 

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

September 19th, 2020 16:00

Many thanks. I did unplugged and plugged back the headers for the three: top fan, front fan and pump fan (somehow my pump fan has 4 pins). No improvement. 

I wonder why the boot error did not say, pump-fan not working and instead said cpu-fan not working. I could guess that if the motherboard did not detect the pump-fan it assume you have a cpu-fan.

what do you think would happen if I plug the pump-fan into the cpu-fan? does the motherboard care which one is used? I guess as it is 4-pin (that responds to the temp sensor) it should send more power as CPU temps increase?

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

September 19th, 2020 16:00

subtle challenge I am not sure the wire from the pump-fan reaches the CPU-fan header in the motherboard, it seems very short. I will try again.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 19th, 2020 17:00

@jdrodrig   what do you think would happen if I plug the pump-fan into the cpu-fan? does the motherboard care which one is used? I guess as it is 4-pin (that responds to the temp sensor) it should send more power as CPU temps increase?

I'm pretty sure the CPU pump should be running at constant speed. I would not run your rig for long if your CPU temp is idling at 80C . . . something is definitely wrong. Perhaps you should re-apply the CPU thermal paste.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

September 19th, 2020 18:00

The AIO (assuming it works) would run the same regardless which header it is plugged into.  It pulls what it needs.  The 4th wire is for pwm, it is not necessary to plug a 4 pin connector into a 4 pin header.  You can plug a 3 or 4 pin fan into a 4 pin motherboard header.    

No Events found!