jmarkoz
1 Copper

Aurora R10, BIOS update stuck in Alienware Update app

Jump to solution

On a brand new R10 Ryzen , I went into the Alienware Update app and it said there is a new BIOS, so I clicked download & install. It's been stuck on "Installing updates (1 of 1)" for over an hour.

Is it safe to hit the "Cancel" button?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dell630i
5 Rhenium

Re: Aurora R10, BIOS update stuck in Alienware Update app

Jump to solution

@jmarkoz    I then did the update via Support Assist and it succeeded.

It is good that worked out for you. However, you are driving through the danger zone by updating BIOS using Support Assist. Consider flashing a BIOS update from the F12 pre-boot menu, outside of Windows and without all of the programs and services running. The BIOS update should be downloaded to a non-bootable USB drive.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
Seehow
2 Bronze

Re: BIOS Update stuck in Alienware Update app

Jump to solution

I think it is safe to hit the cancel. After you hit the cancel, you should just ignore the BIOS update if you want to do it through SupportAssist. Just leave it alone. There are numbers of motherboard damaged due to BIOS update.

Please cancel it and pretend nothing happened

------

If you really want to update the BIOS, ignore the SupportAssist and update it manually.

0 Kudos
jmarkoz
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I hit the Cancel button and rebooted. No problems.

I then did the update via Support Assist and it succeeded.

0 Kudos
Dell630i
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

@jmarkoz    I then did the update via Support Assist and it succeeded.

It is good that worked out for you. However, you are driving through the danger zone by updating BIOS using Support Assist. Consider flashing a BIOS update from the F12 pre-boot menu, outside of Windows and without all of the programs and services running. The BIOS update should be downloaded to a non-bootable USB drive.

View solution in original post

cknoettg420
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I don't know if this is relevant, but the same thing happened to me.

Let's say the Alienware Update app checks for updates on 8-4-2020, but the driver or BIOS date is dated 7-15-2020.

This mismatch between the last-checked-for-update date/publish date, and the driver date, seems to throw off the Alienware Update tool.

I first noticed it with BIOS updates. But I ran some tests, and it seems to affect just about any driver.

Also, let's say I use Alienware Update to install a Bluetooth driver. Then I uninstall the Bluetooth driver. It never recommends a replacement driver when I re-run the tool.

On Windows 7, the Dell utilities worked great. But the Microsoft Store versions of the utilities don't seem to act right on Windows 10.

Microsoft MCA, CompTIA A+, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Cloud+, Certified Forensic Computer Examiner
0 Kudos
FlyingSinger
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am experiencing the same thing with Aurora R11 on PC bought in September. I ran the update checker and it said several updates were needed. I downloaded them and the dialog went away. Some tasks may have installed but no reboot and not BIOS. So I ran update checker again and it still said last update “Never.” So I clicked Update and it has been installing R11 System BIOS for over and hour. I finally clicked Cancel and it says “can no longer be cancelled!” So I’m really stuck and worried that if I shut down or restart that I will damage the system. 

0 Kudos
hodictator
1 Copper

Jump to solution

How did it go finally? I'm having the same problem with my m15 r3 with this new Nov 25 BIOS update... cant be cancelled anymore

0 Kudos
Gangyu Lu
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Mine also has the same issue here. Is it OK to close the Alienware Update when it's saying that the current operation can no longer be canceled? Can I shut down or restart the PC? I have been waiting forever and don't know what to do.

0 Kudos
Gangyu Lu
1 Copper

Jump to solution

OK guys, I just closed the Alienware Update app. Good luck to myself.

0 Kudos
Gangyu Lu
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I just restarted my R10 and it looks like everything is running OK for now. As a new Dell user, I never knew that Dell would push such a headache to their users. Now I know that I should ignore the BIOS update.

Phew. 

0 Kudos