Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

41 Posts

May 26th, 2020 12:00

Aurora R10, No OC options showing in BIOS

Pretty much like the title says, the only CPU option in the BIOS is Enabled/Disabled for overclocking. The tooltip for it says if you enable it there will be many other options available. I have tried both bios versions, 1.0.1 and 1.0.2. The service manual lists this as the options I should see. Any reason why it's missing? 

Performance Options
Overclocking Feature
Core Over Clocking Level Allows you enable or disable the OC level1/level2 setting and
adjust the processor flex ratio and voltage in the Customization
mode.
Computrace Allows you to enable or disable the Computrace service using the
Absolute software.
Core Ratio Limit Override Allows you to set the core ratio limit.
Single Core Allows you to select single core or multiple cores.
Core Voltage Mode Allows you to select between adaptive and override voltage
modes.
Core Voltage Offset Allows you to set the override value of core voltage.
Long Duration PWR Limit Allows you to set the turbo mode power limit.
Short Duration PWR Limit Options Allows you to set the turbo mode power limit

10 Posts

June 14th, 2020 12:00

Same thing here. Just got the R10 - The lack of overclocking is a bit disappointing to say the least, although the amount of heat this thing puts out already is tremendous coming from a XPS 8300 w/i7 2600, so I'm not sure I actually want to overclock full-time. But I'd like to have the option. 

41 Posts

I'm actually using Ryzen Master to OC since the bios doesn't have any settings for me. I don't know if it's because I'm using the Ryzen 3900 (non-x) but with RM I can get clock speeds just as good as the 3900x and idle temps in the 30's. The only real pain is that I have to set the OC profile in Ryzen Master every time I reboot. 

Still, I wish Dell would tell us why there are no OC options since they clearly state you can OC on the configurator page when purchasing.

@LyleBart I had that weird message too but can't remember what I changed to get rid of it. Also, the only advanced tab I have in the Alienware Command Center is for the graphics card. Nothing on the CPU or RAM.

10 Posts

I have updated my R10 to Alienware Firmware 1.0.2. and noticed that in the Bios as well, no other overclock settings available apart from enable/disable. another problem I encounter is in my Alienware Command Center, a notification keeps showing up saying "Your overclocking settings has been turned off because default settings have been loaded from the BIOS" and in the Alienware Command Center Fusion under CPU Overview, I have no advanced view option where I can edit overclock profiles. I don't know if the above firmware has caused this issue.

10 Posts

June 14th, 2020 13:00

Same here, my CPU is Ryzen7 3700x and in my ACC Fusion, there is no CPU advanced view, only my Graphics Card has that option. I too cannot remember what I did why that weird notification message from Alienware Command Center showing up everytime.

3 Posts

July 29th, 2020 10:00

There is OC in BIOS v1.0.6, go to Advanced, performance.

Be careful, it seems it can blow you off after the wrong tuning. I could not get a display for quite a couple times after enable it. 

6 Posts

July 30th, 2020 17:00

All I have is the same as the previous bios. Even in AWCC no advanced tabs either. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. It would be nice to get an answer because others are seeing this.

42 Posts

July 30th, 2020 22:00

So what ever happened with all this?

i read that if you have OC1 or OC2 in AWCC set to ON, it will grey out Bios OC features. You have to set AWCC to OFF, and that will let you choose OC in Bios.

i downloaded Ryzen master and if I try to do any manual OC with it, the system shuts down. If I do auto oc, the results on conebench are slower!

I don’t know what to do.

3700x.

163 Posts

July 31st, 2020 10:00

Heat might be an issue with OC Ryzen CPU in R10... I find that PBO does a good job keeping games running smooth.

41 Posts

August 6th, 2020 15:00

@PabloSRT8 

If you are manually overclocking you may have to set the voltage a bit higher in Ryzen Master to keep the system stable. I'm no expert but I'd keep it under 1.3 volts when in manual mode to preserve the longevity of the processor.

My 3900 (non-x) has no OC profiles in AWCC so choosing OC1 or 2 is completely useless, so I just use the profiles in Ryzen Master every time I boot/reboot. 

163 Posts

August 6th, 2020 16:00

Well my R10 has Precision Boost Overdrive enabled in BIOS by default... Boosts get up to 4.5 (fastest cores) and sustained ~ 4.2 - 4.3 on all cores under heavy loads.

I played around with Ryzen Master and got an overclock of 4.4 on all cores & voltage set to 1.375... Benchmarks show a little improvement on all cores (PBO better for single core benchmarks) and temps actually lower than PBO when gaming for a bit.

But for now, I will leave as default with PBO until I workout "safe" voltages, but the temps do look promising

41 Posts

September 20th, 2020 07:00

Still no OC options in the BIOS for the 3900 (v. 1.0.8)

I guess this processor just isn't getting OC capability in the R10. At least Ryzen Master works, so that's something.

1 Rookie

• 

39 Posts

September 20th, 2020 23:00

I have an R10 with a 3700X cpu and a RTX 2060S OC gpu.

Here's some of my observations... and just to be clear, I don't have all the answers. I only have data from my 3DMark Time Spy results.

I have been experimenting quite a bit with this. (And, I am still experimenting....)

I noticed wiith AWCC, I don't obtain benchmark results which are consistent.

So, based on my trial and error experiments, I think one needs to choose either A or B pathway. This is what I mean...

A: Let Dell's AWCC run your chosen performance profile AND let it handle the BIOS. Use the GPU overclock tab in AWCC if your GPU supports it.

Or, 

B: Use Ryzen Master (for CPU) and, your GPU specific overclock utility. In my case, it's MSI Afterburner.

For "B" to work properly, I accidently discovered that it only works consistently, only after multiple Windows "System Hang" conditions occur, where it triggers an AWCC notification. You will notice a small AWCC notification on the bottom right corner in Windows: "RESET BIOS DEFAULT. Your Systems Overclocking settings have been turned off because default settings have been loaded from the BIOS. "

This is the signal to me, that AWCC had properly RESET any overclocking profiles and I can now begin use of 3rd party utilities. (NOTE: I have also used AWCC to turn off Overclocking. In my case, it doesn't work consistently. I know because I run Time Spy and I can see the results.) Now, with Ryzen Master, I use a custom profile with just PBO turned on, Test & Apply. Next, with MSI Afterburner, I have done some iterations and arrived at optimal settings saved in a profile that I know is stable, I chose that profile. With only these 2 3rd party utilities, I can consistently nail a ~ 9400 benchmark result with 3DMark Time Spy. For a Ryzen 3700X cpu/RTX 2060S OC, I think the 3DMark Time Spy result should be in the ~9400 - 9500 range. Only once I was able to get a 9600 result, and have not since been able to get that result ever. I don't even remember what settings I used to get that one single ~9600 result.

Based on my R10 configuration, Ryzen 3700X and RTX 2060S OC, with just out-of-the box settings, you will consistently get ~8800 on 3DMark Time Spy.

In summary, try not to mix toggling any performance settings with A and B. Choose one path to work with...

And now, I shall go back and do more testing ....

163 Posts

September 21st, 2020 12:00

What's your cpu score on 3d mark?

Note: should be in the neighborhood of  ~9,500 - 10,000 for a Ryzen 3700x

41 Posts

September 21st, 2020 12:00

Yep, I've been using Ryzen Master and no video card OC at the moment. The last time I looked (in the awcc program folder), there were no OC profiles for my processor, so I could choose the OC1 or OC2 and they do absolutely nothing. 

It's not a super big deal since RM works but it "should" work out of the box no matter the processor. Eventually, I'll upgrade to one of the new Zen 3 chips coming out and it will become a non-issue. 12/24 is great on the 3900 but with all the code I compile I would love to have a few more cores. It's still a fine CPU. With it lightly OC'd to 4250 on all cores @ 1.25v and the 2080 Super at stock clocks I pull a hair over 11k on TimeSpy (11,122).

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

December 21st, 2020 05:00

I'm at 15,333 in 3dMark, so all is well in that respect, but overclocking this computer has been a painful experience. As mentioned, there's no real overclocking options in the BIOS or Command Center software, so I used the AMD Ryzen Master. I'm hoping a new BIOS update will give us more configurability.

No Events found!