Start a Conversation

Unsolved

U

6 Posts

May 12th, 2021 10:00

Aurora R10, RAM sticks

For the Alienware Aurora R10 Ryzen edition is it better to have two sticks or four sticks?  I was "sold" 4 sticks of quad channel, but the salesperson mistook channels for the number of RAM sticks, so now I will get 4 sticks of dual channel.

Other than having no free slots for any future upgrade (if I will even go past 64GB, which i probably will not) has anybody run into any issues with 4 sticks instead of two?  I have read of past issues with Ryzen and four sticks, but have these been resolved satisfactorily?

It will be with an AMD Ryzen(TM) 9 5950X, I cannot find the motherboard specs for the machine.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 12th, 2021 11:00

Check the manual-- Support for Alienware Aurora Ryzen Edition​ R10 | Documentation | Dell US

The service manual has the ram info on page 49

6 Posts

May 12th, 2021 12:00

Yes that is what is on page 49, but that does not answer my question.

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

May 12th, 2021 14:00

I am not 100% sure what you mean with "4 sticks of dual channel". 

For packaging purposes, dual channel means 2 matched memory sticks, quad channel means 4 matched memory sticks.

For installation purposes, the R10 only supports dual channel memory mode, even with 4 memory modules installed. Only expensive motherboards allow quad channel memory mode with 4 memory modules installed. Typically servers or server grade motherboards.

If you install 4 memory modules, you have to follow the configuration matrix on page 49 of that manual. Only 4 x 16 GB configuration has been validated, as per that manual.

If you purchased it from the factory with 4 memory modules installed, it will work fine. But it will still operate in dual channel mode, not quad channel mode.

No Events found!