Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

1 Message

December 11th, 2019 11:00

Aurora R11, H60 Corsair added, BIOS CPU fan error

I install the H60 Corsair CPU cooler. Now I get a BIOS CPU fan error every time I start my computer. H60 is working perfect after it finishes loading Windows though. How do I get rid of the error when using that third party CPU cooler?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Did this Aurora R11 ship with an OEM liquid cooler, and then it failed?

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

Have a look at this forum post. A lot of pertinent information.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 11th, 2019 14:00

Dell fans do not use standard wiring.  This is what causes the error.  When you attach a standard fan to a dell header it often destroys the fan.  Same with vice versa with dell fan on standard header. Pay close attention to the wire colors.

Dell does not use standard wiring or Pinouts on their fan headers.

For 3 wire they reverse 12v and tach. 

Black Red White not

Black White Red

DELL 3 PINDELL 3 PINDELL 3 PIN

This can lead to self destruction for a dell fan on standard motherboard or the other way round.

STANDARD.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Dedicated-Adapter-Conversion-Cable-Dell/dp/B07F7CTMVZ

https://www.walmart.com/ip/48729225

This is the CPU FAN for Example.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex-Processor-Aluminum-Heatsink/dp/B079YVX6HC

Dell MB
Pin Number

Function

Dell wire color

Pin #

INTEL Fan wire color

Description

Sens (TACH)

White/Yellow

Green

Sens (TACH)

+12v

Red

Yellow

+12v

Gnd

Black

Black

Gnd

PWM

Blue

Blue

PWM

Key

unused

DELL FAN WIRINGDELL FAN WIRINGDELL FAN WIRING

402 Posts

December 13th, 2019 06:00

I install the H60 Corsair CPU cooler. Now I get a BIOS CPU fan error every time I start my computer. H60 is working perfect after it finishes loading Windows though. How do I get rid of the error when using that third party CPU cooler?

Certain PWM fans don't spin up on power on, which is why the BIOS reports an issue. The fan will however start spinning upon Windows bootup. In order to circumvent this, you'll need to find a fan your BIOS works with. In my case (Aurora R7), it was a Corsair ML120 Pro. The regular ML120 or popular Noctua fans will all trigger the error.

2 Posts

December 23rd, 2020 20:00

Do you think a "5Pin to 4Pin Converter Extension Cable Wire for Dell" would solve it to allow a Noctua 12x25 or other non-Dell fan?

Hopefully this link will work on the forum.

If not, search "5Pin to 4Pin Converter Extension Cable Wire for Dell" on Amazon and it comes right up.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2020 22:00

The Aurora R7 to R11 use standard wiring so that 5 pin to 4 pin extension may damage the fan in one of those pc's.

2 Posts

December 24th, 2020 03:00

N43JM motherboard

Looks like it has a 4 pin connecter. For the life of me, I can't find a 4pin-dell to 4pin-everything-else adapter. All I see is the 5pin to 4pin. Thanks for the heads-up on possibly burning it out.

So, if the r11 uses standard wiring, which I assume means the wires in the standard order across the connectors, then why does the error message come up? The only thing that I see listed as not throwing the error is the Corsair ML120, and those are known to be loud. That's exactly the problem I'm hoping to solve with new fans.

December 24th, 2020 03:00

I install the H60 Corsair CPU cooler. Now I get a BIOS CPU fan error every time I start my computer. H60 is working perfect after it finishes loading Windows though. How do I get rid of the error when using that third party CPU cooler?

My understanding is that the BIOS doesn't like the low-RPM fan that came with the Corsair H60. You might want to replace that fan with Corsair ML120 Pro.

I have an Aurora R11 with the ML120 Pro as the top case fan (i.e. CPU liquid cooler radiator fan), and BIOS does not give any errors when booting.

2 Posts

November 10th, 2021 16:00

Hey bro i have the same issue did you fix it ?

No Events found!