DrKey
2 Bronze

Aurora R11, RTX 3080, constantly hitting power/voltage limit

Hello, I monitored 20 minutes of gaming in Cyberpunk using MSI Afterburner and I noticed that GPU is constatly hitting power and voltage limits. I don't have any OC, everything is stock. Max GPU temp. was 75 C°. Also I can't notice downgraded performance while gaming, it's running pretty good, but I'm curious. I got a 1000w PSU so there's enough power. Any thoughts?

DrKey_0-1611275090618.png

0 Kudos
15 Replies

Re: Aurora R11 RTX 3080 - Constantly hitting power/voltage limit

Since you're not overheating and not having problems like freezes or shutdowns, I wouldn't worry and just enjoy the game.

Cyberpunk is a new and relatively hard running game even on the best of the new video cards.  In an intensive game you are going to hit the limits.  As long as nothing tries to exceed those limits there is no problem. 

0 Kudos
DrKey
2 Bronze

Actually I was experiencing freezes but only playing Cyberpunk. I did all sort of tests/benchmarks and I couldn't reproduce the problem. Then I saw this thread and I did the same: DDU + install older driver version and yesterday evening it didn't crash. I also got some suggestions from Dell to tweak some Cyberpunk's settings... I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Anyway I was just curious why that happens, I'm not worried...

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
7 Thorium

Like @Doghouse Reilly  says, if it aint broken don't fix it.

Why do you think 75c is max temp for RTX-3080 ?

It's near high, but not max. You're good I think.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
DrKey
2 Bronze

No I meant my card was hitting 75°, not that the RTX 3080 is limited to that. According to Afterburner temp. limit is set to 83°.

0 Kudos
Vanadiel
3 Zinc

I would be more concerned about the PCI-X slot version 4.0 running at 8x instead of 16X. That's really a shame for a gaming machine, that they could not provide a chipset solution that runs at the proper 16X speed. In effect this slot runs as fast as a PCI-X version 3 16X slot, negating the benefits PCI-X version 4.0 brings to the table.

I just noticed you got an R11, I thought you had an R10 Ryzen. My bad.

0 Kudos
DrKey
2 Bronze

Well the R11 also has a PCIe 3.0 that could work at x16 but currently runs at x8 according to GPU-Z and official manual. Don't know why but I agree it's quite disappointing 😞

DrKey_0-1611314171429.png

0 Kudos
DELL-Chris M
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Aurora R11, RTX 3080, constantly hitting power/voltage limit

Just an FYI, this data was always present in the online Aurora R11 documentation.

Aurora R11 Setup and Specifications PDF

Capture.JPGCapture1.JPG

Aurora R11 Service Manual PDF

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

0 Kudos
Vanadiel
3 Zinc

Yes, I knew it before I purchased the machine.

But that does not take away the point that it's rather disappointing for a gaming machine that costs $3,000 or more to have a chipset configuration that is not capable of running at least the main PCI-X slot at X16.

I can understand with dual cards dropping down to X8, but a single card?

It's going to be a performance hit with PCI 3.0 to use X8 instead of X16. With PCI 4.0 it will not be, since it will have identical bandwidth as PCI 3.0 X16 and that is still enough for these cards.

Since these machines use the latest most powerful cards, and mine came with PCI 4.0, it is disappointing to see this in that price range.

Now I am assuming this is a chipset limitation, but I guess it could be for another reason, because that document does not explain why. (Which is also disappointing)

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
7 Thorium

But that does not take away the point that it's rather disappointing for a gaming machine that costs $3,000 or more to have a chipset configuration that is not capable of running at least the main PCI-X slot at X16.

I can understand with dual cards dropping down to X8, but a single card?

It's going to be a performance hit with PCI 3.0 to use X8 instead of X16. With PCI 4.0 it will not be, since it will have identical bandwidth as PCI 3.0 X16 and that is still enough for these cards.

Since these machines use the latest most powerful cards, and mine came with PCI 4.0, it is disappointing to see this in that price range.

Now I am assuming this is a chipset limitation, but I guess it could be for another reason, because that document does not explain why. (Which is also disappointing)

=============================

When the Area-51 was still being sold I used to explain it like this:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R11-resizable-bar-with-the-30xx-Series-and-...

Since the Aurora-R5 ... it's always been a step-down with x8. But if the Area-51 is not coming back, I think these new Nvidia cards could use the extra bandwidth interface.

Sure, (if it is actually) PCIe v4.0 running at x8 now, that is a little better. Still, hard to argue AGAINST (single slot) wider-bandwidth.

I've not been invited to any Alienware desktop betas lately, but if I was, I would Zonk it. 

Right, x8 is fine for SLI (even if it's a BIOS option, dip-switch, jumper, etc.). Thing is, SLI is being slowly depreciated. I think 90% of users just want the latest Nvidia GPU (on a nice, properly cooled board) and have it running at full-speed. Go ahead and throw in the "Resizable Bar" thing while you are at it.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.