Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

4 Posts

May 12th, 2021 07:00

Aurora R12, RTX 3080 cannot downgrade to RX 5300

I wanted to downgrade the GPU on my new R12 ( I got it yesterday from best buy)  It came with a RTX 3080 and I just replaced for a RX5300 (the donor was my other dell R11) 

For some reason, it does not pass the Alienware logo bios screen.   After dozen of tries, and pressing scape a lot, I manage to load windows, let's said for 10 tries I got to windows once, Same for Entering the BIOS

Inside the bios nothing point out to a GPU limitation.

The funny thing is, when I put back the RTX 3080, the computer just boot perfectly.  100%.  

What's going on here ?

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

May 12th, 2021 09:00

I am a bit curious here. Was there a reason you replaced a very powerful newer GPU with a much older and far less powerful GPU?

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

May 12th, 2021 09:00

As far as why it does not work, it might be a Nvidia/AMD driver conflict.  You might need to uninstall the Nvidia GPU first (you can use DDU in safe mode).  And then install the AMD card with the driver's downloaded from AMD. And yes, should want to get the specific amd drivers as opposed to the default windows-loaded drivers. 

4 Posts

May 12th, 2021 11:00

Just to clarify, the computer is stuck at the boot/bios Alienware logo, what the driver has to do with that ?

20 Posts

May 12th, 2021 12:00

I would think you'd need to wipe all of the NVIDIA drivers clean from your system before installing an AMD card.

4 Posts

Hi Breon, even of the problem is not inside windows ?  I stated the problem is when the computer initially powers up, at the BIO reading part, is stuck right there before windows starts loading.

101 Posts

Turn off "secure boot" and see if that makes a difference.  If it then loads correctly, turn secure boot back on and see what happens.

55 Posts

May 12th, 2021 13:00

I am not sure if this will apply since you had the rx 5300 working in an R11 but there was a thread on here not long ago about video issues and if the older card did or did not have a Uefi bios  and possibly something about a safe mode or legacy setting in the computer bios.

It wouldn't hurt to check for a newer bios for the rx 5300 and see if it is EUFI.

Again I'm not sure if it applies but it came up on another thread. 

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

May 12th, 2021 14:00

The RX 5300 was sold stock by Dell with the Aurora R11 so secure boot wouldn't (shouldn't) be an issue.  If it were an issue, you'd expect a black screen. 

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

May 12th, 2021 14:00

Yeah, that's when windows starts loading (or trying to load), after passing POST. For example, if you pulled out the hard drive and it can't find windows, that is where you'd expect to get stuck. 

On the other hand, take a step backwards, if the PC is not passing POST, then what error codes are you getting?  

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

May 12th, 2021 15:00

Can you try installing the RX 5300 card in the R12 and follow the CMOS reset procedure for your R12 as per the manual: CMOS reset 

4 Posts

May 12th, 2021 15:00

r72019, great observation regarding the RX5300 coming stock with the R11. That's right.

Regarding an error code, I don't see any error codes, just "Alienware" logo in the center of the screen, larger than usual and pixelated.  Also I notice the keyboard is freeze (numlock is on and cannot be turned off) 

In the other hand, with the RTX3080, that part goes super fast, with the Alienware logo smaller and with better resolution.   For 10 times I turned on with the RTX, zero problems.

As a side note, the RX5300, works perfect on the R11.  And also the RTX3080.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

May 12th, 2021 17:00

" I don't see any error codes, just "Alienware" logo in the center of the screen, larger than usual and pixelated.  ...In the other hand, with the RTX3080, that part goes super fast, with the Alienware logo smaller and with better resolution."

So it sounds like there is a holdup around the time video is expected to switch over from the standard BIOS API to the expected (AMD/Windows) driver on the OS boot drive.

3 Posts

May 24th, 2021 15:00

Is there an option to turn off secure boot for an R12?  I'm trying to put dual AMD RX 480's into a new R12, and I am having the same issue.  Seems this machine only wants to use GPUs with (saw on another thread) UEFI GOP drivers.  Older cards typically do not have this and need legacy support to run.  With my 480 installed, the Alienware logo is all white when booting to Windows.  When trying to get into the BIOS or Boot Manager, the screen goes white and things grind to a stop.

October 23rd, 2021 10:00

did you find a solution, I have the same issue after removing an RTX 3070 on a R12 as well, it gets stuck during boot. I literally tried everything and had like 10 back and forth with the support but no luck, this is really frustrating… 

509 Posts

October 24th, 2021 18:00

If you are trying to use a non Dell GPU you must disable secure boot

No Events found!