Start a Conversation

Unsolved

27 Posts

March 30th, 2022 18:00

Aurora R12, has never worked, overheat, shutdowns

Aurora R12, i7-11700k, RTX 3060. Has never worked right once. You turn it on it goes to 100c and then says its overheating and shuts the system down. Since day one (December 24, 2021) 5 minutes in. I'm told this is normal and what an Alienware is. Why are they allowed to sell a product that hits thermal throttle in 5 minutes by its design? 

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

March 31st, 2022 04:00

You should contact @DELL-Cares to assess system warranty. There are limited time windows, so it's best you do this as soon as possible.

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

March 31st, 2022 09:00

I highly doubt they designed a system that crashes and reboots every 5 minutes and consider it normal.

That's why I would urge you to contact @DELL-Cares for warranty purposes as they are best suited to assist you with warranty repairs.

27 Posts

they said the system is designed that way and their only solution is a $200 upgrade they say may not work. SO its not really a warranty issue if the system is designed to fail. IDK how they can warranty defective design. 

But its interesting if you believe that its a Warranty issue 

27 Posts

how would dell warranty resolve a defective design? if the design of the latest R series Alienware is that the computer overheats every component inside so they can never reach their advertised performance. What will warranty do to fix the defective design honestly? 

how can they warranty fix the entire system overheating because of poor design? do people actually believe they can? if you do explain how? 

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

There are many other owners of R12's who are not experiencing the issue you are experiencing.

If it would be designed like that, than there would be hundreds of posts on this board from angry owners.

That's why I believe you are experiencing some kind of issue that could be covered under warranty, especially since your R12 has been having this issue since day one.

I cannot force you to contact them for warranty repairs. I can only urge you to do so.

27 Posts

yes @Vanadiel i have documented proof of dell admitting that's how the computer was designed and there is nothing they can do in a warranty capacity. They gave it back and said "here is your dell that will never work as advertised because it cant." in a nutshell there words were "its as designed" By design there is no way for it to work. Intel confirmed it, Nvidia confirmed it, Dell confirmed it.

dell gave it back and said its normal, nothing they can do to fix the design its working as intended. Unless i pay $200 but they said a single 120mm cooler often doesn't work either. You say it shouldn't be normal. Which is what i say. But according to dell that is what Alienware r9-r12 are.  They cant run at advertised speeds for a single unit according to dell. Most run thermal throttled and its fine im told by every person at dell. 

I've only delt with this since November and it would nice if the world you think you lived in existed where you just contact dell warranty and they resolve issues. Which they might when its an issue that can be resolved and not an intentional design construct.

An overheating dell isn't a bug, its a feature.

2 Intern

• 

185 Posts

March 31st, 2022 10:00

I own an R12 and I have no problems, in a few days I'm going to switch to liquid cooling EVGA CLC 120, as DELL did not want to sell me their own liquid cooling MH0HN. This is the only negative on DELL does not want to sell spare parts.

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

March 31st, 2022 12:00

I have an R10 and did not have any overheating issues.

And that was with an RTX 3080 in the R10 case.

I am assuming you are on air cooled CPU. I was on 120 mm liquid cooling.

It's up to you if you want to contact them or not. But I still believe you have some kind of technical issue with your unit because it has never worked correctly, like you said. 

1 Message

July 24th, 2022 16:00

can you please forward that evidence to my email . TOS76>as i currently have the beginning portions of this issue and would like the capability for them to cover the costs.  please and thank you if possible.

189 Posts

July 24th, 2022 18:00

I had the R12 with RTX 3080 and 11900F and never had any over heating issues..  Aside from the Gear 1/2 memory restrictions it was a good PC

The system is definitely not right, and you should contact Dell 

18 Posts

July 24th, 2022 20:00

I have a recently bought R12 w/i7-11700F and GTX-3060 ti. It been working fine, however, it does throttle down as the CPU's temp goes above 96C (~100C) while gaming.

This is a gaming computer so it's odd that it was designed with no margin. Anyhow, I am curious as to your update with the EVGA liquid cooler.

Care to share your setup? Installation challenges? Results? etc.

My previous computer was homemade, and it had a liquid cooler. NEVER had any heat issues even when overclocking the old i7-3770K "Black Edition". 

1 Message

September 8th, 2022 18:00

I feel your pain. I got the R12 with no water cooling and the 3090 card. Start firefox? Temp goes to 70 degrees. Play a game? Temp goes to 70 degrees. The Alienware software is an all or nothing tool. Either you make the curves go on high all the time, or none of the time. It's a constant struggle that I'm getting very tired of. I have no real control with the overheating. I will walk away from the computer and the fans will occasionally go to 80% power because a scan kicked in. Get watercooled if you can, my wife did that and she's quite happy with the computer.

4 Operator

• 

2.1K Posts

September 8th, 2022 20:00

This one's for you Corsair Hydro Series H60 (2018) 

No Events found!