Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

11 Posts

March 8th, 2022 05:00

Aurora R13, odd whirring/whining noise

I received my Aurora R13 last month, and straight away noticed as soon as I started it that there was an odd repetitive whirring/whining noise (exactly like this one posted on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/rclh38/strange_noise_in_aurora_r13/)

Im unsure if this noise is coil whine from the PSU, or caused by air bubbles in the liquid cooling.

Here are some videos I just took:

https://youtu.be/OV-1XAyFBcM

https://youtu.be/F9iCQPMh1FI

Please help! The constant hum is driving me crazy!

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

March 8th, 2022 06:00

Since this is a new machine, I would contact @DELL-Cares to assess warranty options.

1 Rookie

• 

436 Posts

March 15th, 2022 19:00

What are your fans set to?  I can hear a little whirring if the fans are ramped up, but on balanced, performance, and quiet, no sounds at all.

11 Posts

March 15th, 2022 19:00

After numerous back and forth messages asking me to try various useless solutions, Dell are now saying that the sound is normal! I find that laughable, and absolulely unacceptable from a customer service perspective. I will persevere with them until I get a resolution to this!

11 Posts

March 16th, 2022 15:00

ive got my temp profile on balanced, but the issue isnt the fans. Ive run through diagnostics and have actually switched off the fans to try to isolate the noise, and its clear that the fans arent the cause. The noise is similar (almost identical) to the noise in the video on the reddit link i shared above.. could be from the water cooling system, or even the PSU.

UPDATE: Dell support have come back again and said that the noise is normal..... i dont know what to do. Whats the point of a warranty?? Absolutely useless tech support

March 17th, 2022 02:00

I got mine yesterday and whilst not as loud as yours mine makes a strange buzzing noise. I think it's coming from the water cooling system to be honest. I raised a case with Dell yesterday.

11 Posts

March 17th, 2022 07:00

Thats the same noise I get as well. It is continuous, and jumps and dips in frequency.

Dell are saying that this is normal. I sent them a number of videos, both close and further away from the PC.

This is their exact response:

"We have received the response from the next level of support team. Upon analyzing the videos they have determined that there are no abnormal noises coming from the computer. There are no hardware changes that can make the computer sound any different since it is working as designed.

We understand this may not be the answer that you were waiting for, but in these cases the specialized team determines what is the procedure to follow."

I think its safe to say that I am unhappy and will not be letting this go that easily

March 22nd, 2022 07:00

I have the same problem... reveived my R13 yesterday.. the noise is terrible.. if you found any solutions pls let us all know here..

11 Posts

March 22nd, 2022 16:00

sorry to hear that. Dell are holding their line and saying that the noise is normal. I really dont know what I can do next. Its safe to say that I am extremely dissapointed in Dell customer service

@DELL-Cares 

1 Rookie

• 

378 Posts

March 23rd, 2022 00:00

It definitely sounds like it’s the pump making that noise. Unfortunately, its not something that would bother me at all. It actually sounds quite soothing. I guess I've worked around noisy computers too long in the past 40 yrs, especially working in IBM datacenters.

11 Posts

March 24th, 2022 17:00

It definitely sounds like the pump. The issue seems to be quite prevalent in this Aurora range. Im not one to make an issue over something like this, but the noise is quite loud especially when watching movies/tv, and unless I am wearing headphones, it is quite distracting.

1 Rookie

• 

436 Posts

March 24th, 2022 18:00

If it can be heard like that, then yeah, I'd say that's a problem.

April 2nd, 2022 11:00

I'm returning mine because of this issue. Received it 5 days ago. Dell should take this issue seriously. This is a very expensive machine @DELL-Cares 

11 Posts

April 4th, 2022 06:00

I've been informed by tech support that they have not authorized my return because they still feel that there is no issue with my computer.

Honestly, how many customers need to report this issue before Dell takes its us seriously???? These tech support "engineers" dont know what is going on!

3 Posts

May 17th, 2022 04:00

Just got mine and it does exactly that. Too persistent and loud to ignore.

No Events found!