Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

3 Posts

January 18th, 2023 13:00

Aurora R13, support 3TB and 4TB SSD?

Alienware Aurora R13

Alienware Aurora R13

Will the Aurora R13 that I bought at BestBuy support 3TB and 4TB SSD?

9 Legend

• 

12.3K Posts

January 18th, 2023 13:00

Yes it will and this page at Crucial confirms it. Do not go by Dell specs as they only list SSD that were tested with the R13 NOT all the compatible SSD.

176 Posts

January 18th, 2023 14:00

The Dell Alienware R13 is a gaming laptop that was released in 2020, its specifications and features may vary depending on the configuration you purchased.

The Alienware R13 is equipped with a single NVMe solid state drive (SSD) slot, so it supports only one SSD at a time. The maximum capacity for the SSD on the Alienware R13 is 4 TB, but it is important to check the specifications of the specific configuration you purchased.

It is possible that your Alienware R13 may have a different storage configuration, such as a RAID setup or the use of an external enclosure, which could allow you to use multiple SSDs with a total capacity of more than 4 TB.

I recommend checking the specifications of your Alienware R13 configuration in the product page of the manufacturer or on the manual. You can also check the specifications with the support team of Dell or BestBuy, they will be able to provide you with more detailed information on the capabilities of your specific Alienware R13.

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

January 18th, 2023 14:00

Yes but has to be formatted in GPT file system.

GPT file system 

A GPT drive may have up to 128 partitions.

Each partition can have a maximum of 18 exabytes

Do not format in MBR, fat 32 file system.

2 Intern

• 

193 Posts

January 18th, 2023 16:00

'' Listen  to Nannerl [ Ana maria ] Mozart notebook '', i say not needed, why?>

2 Intern

• 

193 Posts

Eh....

You are a rockstars, right>?

Do go only by Dell  specifics, thats what i recomment

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

R13 is a UEFI based system. UEFI supports disks larger than 2 TB, as long as they are formatted with the GPT file system. There's no restrictions to the size besides the restrictions posed by the GPT file system.

The only reason why Dell lists up to 2 TB is because they only validated storage up to 2 TB.

Your confusion comes from BIOS support, which is indeed limited when it comes to supporting larger capacity storage media. Hence the reason why a modern system is UEFI. There's other reasons, but that is one of more important reasons.

Exceeding 2 TB 

In order for an operating system to fully support storage devices that have capacities that exceed 2 terabytes (2 TB, or 2 trillion bytes), the device must be initialized by using the GUID Partition Table (GPT) partitioning scheme. This scheme supports addressing of the full range of storage capacity. If the user intends to start the computer from one of these large disks, the system's base firmware interface must use the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) and not BIOS.

No Events found!