Start a Conversation

Unsolved

9 Legend

• 

11.8K Posts

May 24th, 2022 10:00

Aurora R4, Non-ALX vs ALX

Dell moderator once said "The only difference is the Motorized Active Vents versus the Fixed Vent Holes."

but there are a few more design differences.

drive bay in ALX is tool-less (if you use 3.5in drives) and cable-less. simply insert new drives into the cage and they will lock into position. in non-ALX, conventional sata cables.

case LED in ALX is all around, Lights adorn the edges of the case at the top and the front, in non-ALX, I only see photos showing light on two side panels (and odd/Alien head).

Can it be confirmed that non-ALX R4 has no LED at the edges of case?

non-ALXnon-ALXALXALX

Do all ALX use motorized front odd cover?  Non-ALX does not have motorized front cover.

Do ALX and non-ALX use different models of MIO board?

Theatre light (battery powered) only in ALX.  bright white LEDs that are always on (even when you unplug the system from the wall, powered by two hidden AA batteries).

are there more differences?

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

May 24th, 2022 20:00

Yes, only the Aurora ALX has the lighting that goes up the sides at the front and the top, along the active venting.

Neither version of the Aurora has a motorized front cover. You have to pull the cover up manually. The Area-51 ALX had the motorized cover where you'd press the Alien head and the cover would come back up. 

Yes, there is a different MIO board for the ALX. While it's the same board as the standard Aurora, they've soldered the extra connectors (for the active venting and lighting) onto the ALX board. 

I think you're correct about the theatre light only being in the ALX. I don't think my standard Aurora has this but I'll have to check that one. 

You already mentioned the main differences with the active venting and hot swap drive bays. 

9 Legend

• 

11.8K Posts

May 26th, 2022 14:00

Thanks for clarifying.

It seems Aurora standard R1-2-3-4 all use same case. The only difference is motherboard: X58, lga1156, lga1155, X79.

The reason why Dell added the premium ALX case to R1 and R4 but not R2 or R3 is likely because of the unique X series chipset in R1 and R4.  No other aurora uses X chipset.  X99, X299, X399 belong to Area 51 HEDT.

Dell seems to refresh aurora case every 4 iterations so as to maximize inventory stock utilization yet give consumer some refreshing but not universally acclaimed new design.  R1-4 —> R5-8 —> R9-12 —> R13,14.  It is estimated after future R15,16 Dell will likely move on to yet another Aurora design.

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

May 26th, 2022 16:00

I still think that the R1-R4 cases were the best of the Auroras. It's a shame they started using proprietary parts which made it hard for users to upgrade or repair without having to use OEM parts. 

The Area 51 ALX is still the king of the Post-Dell Alienware Desktops all but I'd like to get my hands on a Area-51 R2-R7 one day. 

9 Legend

• 

11.8K Posts

May 26th, 2022 20:00

I agree.  Comparing Area 51 non-ALX to standard aurora R4, I am currently favoring the R4 case based on its elegant side panel design.  My area-51 cases are a big pain to get their left side panel warped hinges straight and noiseless.  imo it was a bad body design.  Dell called this model Phobos.  I call it a Godzilla. 

Area 51 R2 triad 1.0 case has a premium feel. I think you will like it.  R3-4 use same case.  I would not recommend R5-7 triad 2.0 case because of much more expensive parts (like repairing a bmw) and Dell proprietary cables connecting FIO and motherboard (10 pin instead of standard usb 9 pin in R2).

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

May 26th, 2022 21:00

Good to know, thanks.

I have to agree with you on the Area 51 side panel. If those hinges aren't sitting perfectly it's a real pain to close. 

No Events found!