Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 15th, 2018 06:00

Aurora-R4, water cooler upgrade

Hello,

My Alienware Aurora R4 makes a lot of noise at startup/boot. That's probably because of my AIO water cooler. So I think my Water Cooler must be upgraded. Currently I have a 27 mm wide fan and I want a 38 mm fan. Which water cooling should I purchase?

It must be a new model and the effective.
My requirements:

• Brand does not matter, should be made by Asetek

• Length x width = 120 mm

• Prefer about 38 mm wide/deep

Thanks in advance!

Any help is appreciated!

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

November 15th, 2018 17:00

The base R4 cooler, the radiator is 27mm wide, paired to a 38mm fan; R4 Premium cooler 01YGW is a 38mm wide rad + 38mm fan

All original R1-R4 cooler pumps use a Molex SL 7pin connector that plugs into the top light strip / powerboard (photo bottom); when using an aftermarket cooler, those will use a standard 3pin fan connector (sometimes SATA power) which can not plug into the top lightstrip 7pin ... symptoms:

• CmndCntr lists new pump status as 'failed'
  • BIOS may throw CPU Fan Warning @ startup (there may be a way to disable it)

I make the MindMeld adapter for aftermarket coolers so CmndCntr reports the pump's running (that signal comes over the 7pin), without such adapter you plug into top light strip in some other spot

Corsair made the older H80 & H80i @38mm wide, the newer 80i V2 & GT are 49mm wide normally paired to the included 25mm wide fan (setup may be too wide for dual-25mm-fan push-pull, you'd have to try it to see > if no joy then just use one 25mm fan)

I don't keep a list of all possible 38mm 49mm coolers, but I believe the V2/GT has been swapped in & would make for the better cooler due to its wider rad which also = more fluid; I never kept up with other people's cooler swaps, you can try to read up 1st using google & any links they have

GamersNexus has an older list of all the different OEMs

Since 01YGW is a direct drop-in, typically you'd buy a (used) one & buy another (used) one later as a spare if new ones aren't available (they sometimes are if you regularly check, but due to age, new ones are harder to get & not seen as often)

175 Posts

November 15th, 2018 12:00

There are a few oem R4 water coolers listed on ebay, mostly in the US.  You know this fits and is 100% compatible so worth paying the extra perhaps?

November 15th, 2018 14:00

So you do not recommend a water cooler from another brand?

175 Posts

November 16th, 2018 04:00

re: So you do not recommend a water cooler from another brand?

No, that is not what I was suggesting.  Dell have taken time to ensure the part fits, after market coolers are generic made to fit many different computers, they may fit your computer better/the same/worse/not at all - you won't know until you try it.

No Events found!