Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 15th, 2022 04:00

Aurora R4, wiring of MIO board

My Aurora R4's power button is damaged and I'm thinking of using a generic switch.
In that case, which connector on the MIO board should be wired from?
1: Main power switch
2: Power LED
3: HDD LED
4: Reset switch

I want to do it without modification as much as possible, so I want to cut the genuine switch wiring and connect it to the switch and the LED.

I couldn't find it by searching in Japanese, so please let me know.
I have experience making PCs and can wire additional meters for cars.

I speak only a little English and this is my first time asking a question.
I'm sorry if there is a rude sentence.

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

February 15th, 2022 20:00

If you no longer want to use the top Power On Button (inside 5W6MX), if u want to use a basic generic 2-wire switch, then:  

1) Cut / remove +/_ wires (6/8) from top power on button

2) 'Jump' the new pwr switch +/- with the MIO BLINK +/-, reinsert into JFP1 6/8 

Untitled.jpg

ALTERNATIVE: do NOT cut the factory wiring

1) Back pins 6/8 out of JFP1

2) Jump & solder the new generic switch +/- wires onto pins 6/8 of JFP1, reinsert into connector

Untitled - Copy.jpg

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 15th, 2022 07:00

I suggest you replace with proper OEM part. If that is not available, you might want to set BIOS/Power to "Always power-ON" and then use on-off switch on power-strip.

1 Rookie

• 

378 Posts

February 15th, 2022 10:00

6 Posts

February 15th, 2022 11:00

I thought about that, but I gave up this time because the reliability of the accuracy of the switch part is low.

6 Posts

February 15th, 2022 11:00

The cause is unknown, but CLICK "ALLOW" TO CONTINUE is displayed at the link destination, and I cannot proceed any further.
Is this link related to wiring?

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

February 15th, 2022 15:00

6 Posts

February 15th, 2022 18:00

I read the link.
I tried my best to think about it.

Is Reset SW from the BLINK connector?
Is the main power switch from ODD sensors (ODD_SW)?
Is the power LED from the ODD LED?

I know it's better to disassemble my PC once, but since it's only this one, if I disassemble it now, I can't read the discussion here.

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

February 15th, 2022 19:00

The Top I/O Assembly (with Power Button) is part# 5W6MX

JFP1 R2.jpgs-l1600.jpg

PTDC0015 - Copy.JPG

Tap into PWR SW pins 6 & 8

Is Reset SW from BLINK connector? There is no Reset SW
Is main power switch from ODD sensors (ODD_SW)? NO
Is power LED from ODD LED? NO

It's an MSI motherboard, so the front panel JFP1 header is a basic industry standard pinout

Motherboard JFP1 PWR LED - HDD LED - PWR SW all wire up to the 5W6MX top I/O

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 15th, 2022 20:00

Thanks @Cass-Ole .

I just remembered there was some "definite strangeness" in how the Aurora-R4 power-switch was wired (and I think Aurora R1-R4 were all done similarly).

This page saved as "Cass-Ole on Aurora-R4 power-switch wiring and MIO-board - Dell Forum.pdf"

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

February 15th, 2022 22:00

I'd say every R1-R4 owner needs to take great care when using the top pwr button, since the plunger mechanism it's fragile. Usually the outer plunger fails, while the inner button itself may still be good. To check if the button itself is stilll ok, 1) disassemble the front / top I/O area of PC 2) remove the plastic top housing from 5W6MX & expose the plunger & press it --> if no good, expose the raw power on button & press it. If it doesn't work, repair, replace, or insert generic button/switch (from prior post earlier)

In otherwords the button may still work, even if the plunger aspect failed as they can / do fail / break etc

Mechanism consists of top silver finish piece, mid-plunger, then raw button

see Manuals & Docs for the PDF Owner Manual to gain access to top i/o pwr button etc

_57_16_12509.jpg

6 Posts

February 16th, 2022 03:00

Thank you for your detailed information.
I'll make some time to work in the near future.

By the way, another question is, which is the power supply to these switches and LEDs, 5v or 12v?
Considering the thickness of the wiring and its function, I always thought that it was 5v ...

6 Posts

November 7th, 2023 03:36

Sorry it took so long.

Somehow I managed to finish modifying the switch.

I haven't yet added the reset switch line because the parts haven't arrived yet.

The switch itself has already been installed.

On the left is the power switch and power lamp.
On the right is the reset switch (planned) and HDD access lamp.

The lock on the front door was damaged and wouldn't close, so I fixed a switch here.
The wiring passes through the back side of the resin part above the intake port and exits to the I/O board side.

However, the cooling fan is fixed to the edge of the I/O board, so the wiring cannot pass through it.
Therefore, it is passed inside through the gap in the 5.2 inch bay just above.

These various types of wiring are cut directly below the switch and routed from the middle of the duct at the back to the front.

In the future, we plan to fix the reset switch wiring to the MB connector.

(Currently, there is no connector itself in the reset switch part, so it is probably possible to add one)

(edited)

No Events found!