Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

February 5th, 2018 10:00

Aurora-R5, fans randomly kick up loudly

I've had my Aurora R5 for a little over a year now. About a week or two ago the fan started kicking up very loudly. It'll be normal and then every ten or twenty minutes will get very loud out of nowhere. The noise will last anywhere from ten seconds to a few minutes. This happens even when I'm not doing anything on the computer, it sounds like something is causing it to kick on in the background. It's driving me crazy and I can't seem to find the cause.

I opened it up and made sure to clean out any dust, I did virus scans, I updated all the drivers and BIOS, nothing seems to actually solve the problem. My first virus scan did pick up two trojans, but I've scanned it several times with multiple different programs since then and nothing has been picked up. I can't even tell if this is a software issue or a hardware issue and I'm two steps away from just wiping the whole computer and doing a fresh Windows 10 install, but I figured I'd ask here if there was any way to really track down what the issue might be before I jump the gun and do something that wouldn't fix it anyway.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

February 9th, 2018 14:00

Hi @ZZXIV,

You can try a clean boot.

Also, check temps to see if the system is not overheating. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 10th, 2018 13:00

@ZZXIV wrote:

My first virus scan did pick up two trojans,

Microsoft says that once a computer has been violated and the Windows OS is compromised, the only way to insure it is completely clean is the "Nuke-and-Pave" it.

The ePSA Diags should be able to detect MOST (95%) of any hardware failures. Once you are sure (as you can be) Hardware is good, you move onto Software. Follow this:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/fixed/t5627124d-p/

4 Posts

March 28th, 2018 16:00

Aurora r5 user here too. I noticed this same problem starting last week. I've ran all the same scans & updates etc. and haven't found any issues. Usually goes away after a reboot...

It's definitely the fan that's connected to the cpu heatsink. Been running monitoring software and the cpu hasn't ever been running too hot.

I'm wondering if it's something to do with all the windows updates being pushed out to fix the skylake chipset issues? Otherwise, could be a BIOS issue (which I've tried resetting to defaults, doesn't help anything).

March 28th, 2018 19:00

If you've updated to bios 1.0.16, check your temps. I had an issue with cpu overheating after flashing to that bios last week. I have since went back to bios 1.0.14 and the issue has gone away. I am currently waiting for a fix from Dell. Check your bios version and temps of your hardware.

4 Posts

March 28th, 2018 20:00

Yes, I did upgrade to 1.0.16 fairly recently. I'll try flashing back to the previous version. Thanks 

2 Posts

August 27th, 2018 05:00

Any updates on this? This has happened to my system and is driving me crazy?

Flashing back to the previous version did not work.

2 Posts

August 27th, 2018 07:00

Unfortunately I haven't really found any solution, no. Since it's happening to multiple people with the same system, I have to assume it's either a hardware issue or something with an update not working well, as some have suggested.

That being said, either it's happening less frequently or I've learned to live with and don't notice anymore. It used to drive me insane and happened every few minutes, now I feel like I notice it maybe once a day. Could also be because it's summer and I've got an air conditioner running in my room. As in, either the AC is covering up the noise, or the colder temperature of the room is making the fan kick in less. Which would suggest it's some kind of heating issue, if that's actually the case and I haven't just gotten used to hearing the noise.

For what it's worth, while the noise was annoying, I never noticed any actual impact on performance, so hopefully I'm not ignoring a critical problem and learning to live with it doesn't ruin my computer in the future.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 28th, 2018 11:00

@ZZXIV wrote:

Unfortunately I haven't really found any solution, no. ... now I feel like I notice it maybe once a day. 

For what it's worth, while the noise was annoying, I

Well, the Aurora has several fans, so it would be good to find out which one you are talking about. Some are controllable by Thermal-Controller. But AFAIK, the CPU-fan is not (it's system controlled).

If your machine has a high-end Intel-i5/i7 with only a simple heat-sink and basic fan-cooling ... you should expect some fan-noise when the CPU is being utilized above 50%. The fan has to spin faster to cool the CPU more (as it's temp increases).

I already explained how to use ePSA . In Windows, something like CPUID's HW-Monitor might be better. That's what I use to examine both of my Auroras (but they both intentionally have more efficient Liquid-Cooling on CPUs).

2 Posts

August 29th, 2018 04:00

It's the heat sink fan for mine.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 30th, 2018 20:00

@nickl101 wrote:

It's the heat sink fan for mine.

Some fans are better than others, but fan bearings wear-out (especially cheap sleeve-bearing). Good thing fans are like $10 .

Replace fan and/or whole fanned-cooler. Maybe then it can run at 2500 rpm without bothering you. Or, just upgrade to Liquid-Cooling.

No Events found!