Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 30th, 2020 17:00

Aurora R5, failed to start windows after factory reset

I was forced to factory reset the Aurora R5 after COD installation broke the system. Once it finished I expected to see the same screens when the Aurora R5 got out of the box but the screen the recovery screen showed up again. Then I downloaded from Dell website (the website asks for service tag) the app to make a W10 installation from an USB, I disabled secure boot, I booted with USB and install W10, I enabled secure boot but the same recovery screen shows up as no good windows installation is there. I believed installation from USB created with DELL app could make the difference.

any idea?

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

April 1st, 2020 19:00

actually Microsoft activation registry remembers your machine ID based on cpu and motherboard that was certified by Dell in factory, so there is a very good chance your fresh clean install of Win 10 will automatically be activated when system gets on line.  I had upgraded Optiplex pc OS to win 10 and witnessed on multiple occasions this was true. After manually activating the 1st time, I wiped the hdd later to do a second clean install (without need to provide Microsoft account credentials), Win 10 remembered my system and self activated.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

March 31st, 2020 07:00

I am not sure if your hdd has a hidden partition to allow factory restore.  If it does it ought to restore to factory setting without need to download from Dell.

if you want to do a fresh clean install of Win 10 yourself, you could download from Microsoft directly to make a bootable usb and go from there.  I usually install Win 10 via legacy BIOS (not UEFI).  When you wipe the hdd at the beginning of install you will see whether or not there is system restore partition on hdd separate from main partition.  Do not delete the system restore partition if you see one.
After installing Win 10 you can go to Dell support to download drivers for your specific model.  

5 Posts

March 31st, 2020 10:00

Thank you for replying.

Yes I suspect something is still on the disk and the restore factory is not working properly.

I will as you suggested.

Than you!!!

5 Posts

April 1st, 2020 18:00

hummm, it came with W10 and seems all that came with the Alienware is not here =(

5 Posts

I'm gonna try with a clean installation. I already made USB installator using the Media Creation Tool... but  if this is going to be a clean installation of w10 how I'm gonna get the windows key? I do not see any label on the box.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

If Aurora R8 came w factory installed Win 7 certified COA, you use that to activate Win 10. If not there look inside all original documents.  If you are not sure what OS it came w use service tag to look it up. You should have COA sticker somewhere on chassis (look all around) unless it is destroyed.

5 Posts

April 10th, 2020 19:00

Thank you very much

No Events found!