Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 16th, 2020 16:00

Aurora R6, 460w PSU enough for GTX 1660?

Hello,

I purchased an Aurora R6 back in 2017, and was looking to make a few upgrades. Just wanted to know if the stock 460w PSU would be able to handle it without damaging other components.

Current specs;

i5-7400

GTX 1050ti

1x8gb DDR4 @ 2400mhz

1TB HDD

Basically I want to add some new ram(just take the oem 8gb out, and add 2 new 8gb sticks for dual channel) nothing crazy, as well as upgrade the gpu from the OEM 1050ti to a Nvidia GTX 1660 Ventus xs 6gb. This card recommends 450w, would I experience any 1-3 second freezing with intensive games with the current PSU, or perhaps system crashes? Any help is appreciated, the goal is to get the best GPU in there without upgrading the power supply. I also noticed this does have a 6+2connector indicating this could support bigger GPU's, but don't want to jump the gun.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 17th, 2020 12:00

While the (only) 8gb of RAM certainly isn't helping your games play better, the slowness is likely because you only have a spinning HDD for C-Drive.

a. Your Windows memory swap-file is running from a slow spinning HDD
b. Your Windows (and favorite games) are not running from a M.2/PCIe/NVMe SSD (which your machine has a slot for).

As for the video card ... is a GTX-1660 that much better than a GTX-1050ti ? And yeah, your new video card must fit properly.

Suggested Upgrades:

16 gb ram
- Deactivate and remove any Optane modules (if present)
512gb NVMe SSD (installed as C-drive) 
850watt Power-Supply
GTX-1660 or RTX-2070 ... something like that

No offence, but this is a good example of what happens 3 years after you buy the cheapest version of a nice computer.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

July 16th, 2020 21:00

I'm not positive if the PC case will close with a 5.1" GPU.  The OEM GPU's max out at 4.4" deep.  It will be close either way. 

As an aside, Dell sold the Aurora stock with up to 1080 on the 460w PSU, and currently sells the Dell G5 gaming desktop with a 2080 and this 460w PSU.  Note that this exceeds recommended specs for these GPUs (recommend system power exceeds 460w) so probably not recommended as you won't have a warranty to fall back on if things go south. But point being, I don't otherwise see any problem with putting a 1660 in your system.  

July 17th, 2020 17:00

Thanks for all of the great info! Could've went without that last "no offence" comment, but it's the internet so it's expected.

Cheers,

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 17th, 2020 17:00

You are a good sport.

It's just that I see people buying high-end computers around $1500, and most want to do upgrades around year 3 , and then keep using them for 5-6 years. At least, I do for that money. Another indication is IRS depreciation for computers is 5 years. 

Anyway, just spending a little more at the time of purchase not only makes the computer much better now, but also much cheaper and easier to upgrade later.

The NVMe SSD should have been in there from day-1 (it would have been running so much faster and better all these years while it was still new). I say the same about the power-supply as it is always better to over-size (and be ready for later).

So, extra $200 then, and you would just be snapping in some ram and a new video card now. That's all I meant. Thanks for taking my comments constructively as I'm just try to help get you back on track with your nice Aurora-R6.

July 17th, 2020 19:00

@Tesla1856 

Thanks for the response, I had a basic idea of what I wanted when I initially purchased this, but wasn't super fluent with what type of parts would be best(or else I would've gotten the SSD instead of the HDD + more). That's the main reason I went for a pre-built, didn't know much and guaranteed myself 3-5 years without having to upgrade unless I wanted to get into some bigger titles, until now lol. 

I got more into searching for parts, and researching what would be good combos that would be cheap but powerful enough to keep up with current titles. For the future I plan on building straight from scratch, just for better upgrade options/paths, as I've learned from owning this Alienware, I'm very limited on upgrades.

With that said, I did end up getting a set of Corsair Vengeance memory 2x8gb and removed my old oem stick, as well as the msi GTX 1660 Ventus xs 6gb. No crashes, bsod or over heating what so ever. I'm constantly monitoring my temp levels, CPU never goes above 65C, the GPU also doesn't go over 65C, from my research those are low compared to what others have reported.(temps are from gaming on bigger titles)Without gaming both the CPU and GPU idle around 30C degrees.

As I stated above, I recently just started playing demanding titles (AC:Odyssey, NFS heat) and with only those 2 games I've experienced very weird 2-3 second freezing (CPU drops from 100% usage to 0%, as well as the GPU drops from 50ish% to 0% for 2-3 seconds - major bottleneck, I know this) it's not constant so it's very playable. With the research I've done online and what you said, my first thought was I need an SSD for these type of titles, would this fix my issue? Or is this the PSU causing this, I never notice high heat from the PSU so that's why I'm leaning more towards the HDD being the culprit. If it did end up being the PSU, wouldn't it crash or be sitting around it's max temperature of 50C, doesn't feel that hot at all.

Sorry for such a long question, I'm still learning and all of this help has been fantastic!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 18th, 2020 17:00

When computers are configured "minimally" and then have a performance problem, it can be very difficult to find the bottleneck or "the one fix". If it's a very-lame build, it can be 2 or more things. I tend to go the other way ... optimally configured (or at least adequately) and then no problems in the first place.

That's a strange problem you are having.

Easy to image with 8gb ram, but I suppose that even with 16gb, Windows might still dip-into virtual memory (currently running from a slow-HDD) . That might cause it.

Yes, machine might be running out of power (put in that case it usually just turns-off) or CPU/GPU is throttling back.

Sorta sounds like GPU is taking-a-break, but when that happens the driver usually resets and you get a notification. Do you see anything in Reliability Report around those times? 

EDIT:
Oh yeah, might also just be delay as games load complex levels from slow-spinner-HDD.

July 19th, 2020 17:00

So I checked my reliability report, and matched up the times where I was playing AC:Odyssey. Didn't notice anything out of the norm. I think you're right when you say "cpu/gpu is throttling back". Maybe more the CPU as it's running at 100% consistently while playing this game, where the GPU is around 60-75%. Everywhere I look about the PSU being underpowered, usually it should just turn off(as you mentioned), so I'm slowly drifting away from it being a PSU issue.

With more research I also found a lot of the 4 cores 4 threads CPU's are not able to keep up with the newer more modern games that are coming out. Which again is fine, like I said it's not unplayable, I more so just want to know why it's happening. I'm sure in the next little bit I will get myself an SSD, and see if the HDD was the issue behind this. Just a thought, but would connecting my Xbox one controller via Bluetooth be the cause of this maybe?

Oops, I didn't see the edit you made! Well with that said, once I get myself an SSD and put this game on there, I will follow back up on here and advise if that was the issue or not.

Thank you again for all of the info Tesla! You've been a great help with all of this, you've opened my eyes on being more cautious when buying a pre-built to not cheap out, but I also would end up building my own to avoid these type of issues lol.

Thanks again,

Shawn.

No Events found!