Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

January 23rd, 2018 23:00

Aurora-R6, power interruption while BIOS was updating

Hi, I just get a new BIOS update from Alienware Support 1 day ago, and while computer restart, it started to install BIOS update, but unfortunately power cut happened while updating. So when I turn power on, 2 BIOS option appeared.

1 - Recover BIOS
2 - Reset BIOS Settings to Default.

Firstly I tried 1, and then show message "You are about to flash your bios an older version,which is not allowed, press the OK button to stop the flash process." and OK button below this message. When I enter OK, it restarted and nothing happened. Then select second option but same as one, nothing happened.

Then I visit Alienware Aurora R6 Support page, I downloaded latest BIOS version (which is December 8, 2017) and renaming it "BIOS_IMG.rcv" then copied it to FAT32 formatted USB Stick.

Power button blinking 3 and 7 times with yellow when I Plugged USB stick and turn power on. 3 and 7 times blinking means "BIOS recovery image found but invalid - Reimage the system BIOS." as user manuel indicate.

In my humble opinion, it will solve with correct BIOS image, may be not. Is there any opinion about to solve this issue?

EDIT : Should I wait for a New BIOS version and Try again or shoud I get a new mainboard? Any suggestions? Dell Support?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

January 25th, 2018 07:00

"power cut happened while updating"
* The motherboard CMOS chip is corrupted. Based on the failure of the bootable USB drive with BIOS update to flash the BIOS, you are looking at replacing the motherboard, part 7HV66.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 25th, 2018 12:00

Hi @hacktor,

If the system is still in warranty, send me a PM with the service tag so I can assist you further!

8 Posts

January 25th, 2018 23:00

@Alienware-Eimy, I sent you PM. Thanks.

No Events found!