Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 24th, 2019 13:00

Aurora R6, replace 500GB M.2 NVMe with 1TB WD Black NVMe

Aurora R6 with 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD and 1TB HDD. Purchased from Dell in September 2017.

I’d like to replace the factory 500GB M.2 with a bigger 1TB WD Black NVMe. This unit only accommodates one M.2. Thought it would be a simple process to clone, but experiencing the following:

1) I expected boot to come from only the SSD. If I disconnect the HDD, the computer will not boot off the SSD alone. If I reconnect HDD it boots perfect.
2) Tried using both the Acronis True Image and EaseUS Todo Back Software to clone the SSD to an external 1TB Seagate drive as first step. Cloning the SSD defaults into creating two 500GB partitions (1TB total) which offers no benefit. Suspect software will not work properly if boot is from multiple drives.

The computer is booting off both the HDD and SSD? Several months old the system had the blue screen several days after a BIOS update, Dell technical support wiped SSD, went through recovery process and reinstalled Windows 10 … everything worked fine afterwards. Everything important (data) was moved to the HDD so only needed to reinstall the programs.  Suspect their reinstall is the root of my problem.

Any recommendations on how to install the new 1TB WD Black NVMe SSD without completely wiping and starting from scratch?
Appreciate any feedback or guidance!!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 24th, 2019 19:00

@BeerGuySQ4 wrote:

Aurora R6 with 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD and 1TB HDD. Purchased from Dell in September 2017.

I’d like to replace the factory 500GB M.2 with a bigger 1TB WD Black NVMe.

You Image whole drive to a file.

Swap M.2/NVMe SSD's

Boot Macrium Reflect Recovery USB drive.

Restore Image.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-M-2-NVMe-bootable-options/td-p/6073037

2 Intern

• 

402 Posts

January 24th, 2019 14:00

With my R7, if I disconnect all internal drives except for the NVMe, it will still boot into Windows. With what you're describing, it sounds like the Dell techs might have reinstalled Windows on to your mechanical hard drive rather than the NVMe SSD. If that's the case, then your ugprade path should be easy. Remove old NVMe and install new one. Clone Windows and boot partition from your HD to the NVMe and you should be good to go.

January 24th, 2019 16:00

amstel78, Appreciate the guidance!!!  Unfortunately, I wasn't that lucky.  I checked and Windows is installed on my SSD (C-drive).   I also looked through my files on the HDD (D-drive) and nothing obvious.

Thanks again!

March 18th, 2019 08:00

Appreciate the feedback. I think I'm at the point to do a Dell recovery and clean Windows reinstall to the new 1 TB WD Black NVMe. My original objective was to move up to a larger, faster NVMe SSD  which I thought would be a quick exercise, (at least it was on my other Dell computers), otherwise computer operates fine.

The Macrium Reflect will copy the existing 500GB M.2 to a backup, but restore effectively turns the 1TB Black NVMe into two partitioned sections, (500GB copied section and 500GB of wasted space).

It appears the Dell technician who did the original recovery when the computer failed a few months old reinstalled windows so it is booting off both the SDD and HDD. It's almost as if the boot is randomized over the two drives

If the HDD is unplugged the computer won't boot; plug it in and boots fine.

I also tried Neosmart Technologies, EasyBCD without success.

Just wanted to see if there were any other options before doing a recovery and clean reinstall.

Thanks again!

March 18th, 2019 10:00

Tesla1856 ... appreciate the guidance.

I did use wrong word ... I used Image with Macrium Reflect.  I'll dig into the Macrium Reflect and see if there is something I missed in making this work properly.  I've successfully used MR several times "years ago" to upgrade to new bigger hard drives so was surprised by my results this time.

Even if successful above, I suspect only a clean install will get me back to the optimum booting off primary M.2 drive.

Thanks again!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 18th, 2019 10:00

@BeerGuySQ4 wrote:

1. The Macrium Reflect will copy the existing 500GB M.2 to a backup, but restore effectively turns the 1TB Black NVMe into two partitioned sections, (500GB copied section and 500GB of wasted space).

2. the Dell technician ... If the HDD is unplugged the computer won't boot; plug it in and boots fine.

1. Well, there is no "COPY" in Macrium Reflect. You can Clone or Image .

The scenario you describe is common and it is possible if you take the time to learn how to use Macrium Reflect properly.

2. This is obviously NOT correct. Yes, a clean-install is one sure-way to fix it.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 18th, 2019 12:00

@BeerGuySQ4 wrote:

1. I did use wrong word ... I used Image with Macrium Reflect. 

2. I've successfully used MR several times "years ago" to upgrade to new bigger hard drives 

3. Even if successful above, I suspect only a clean install will get me back to the optimum booting off primary M.2 drive.

1. Yes, an Image (with Verify on) is usually more versatile. 

2. Right

3. It's likely the easiest way to correct the " Dell technician's" miss-step. 

April 17th, 2019 16:00

Tesla1856 ...Many thanks!!! The Macrium Reflect process you recommended worked perfect to swap out the factory M.2 with the new 1TB WD Black.

I didn't do a clean windows install, so computer still uses two drives to boot, but doesn't appear to impact system performance or boot time much, (19 seconds on cold start up to login screen / 13 seconds on reboot.) 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 5th, 2020 08:00

1. Okay so if I want to swap my oem ssd for a 2 terabyte Samsung Evo Plus

2. I use that program to image my oem drive to a USB is that correct and then I boot from the USB.

================

1. Yes, that is possible.

2. You boot the Macrium Recovery USB flash-drive you made. Restore the image-file from where-ever you saved it to (usually a HDD of some-kind as it will be large).

16 Posts

Is the whole image on the usb drive ,then i boot from the drive

16 Posts

Okay so if I want to swap my oem ssd for a 2 terabyte Samsung Evo Plus I use that program to image my oem drive to a USB is that correct and then I boot from the USB

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 5th, 2020 10:00

Is the whole image on the usb drive ,then i boot from the drive.

=======================

I suppose you could if it fits. I usually don't manipulate the Macrium Recovery flash-drive after creation. I usually use a USB-HDD to save the large image-file.

See "Re-Imaging" section here:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-M-2-NVMe-bootable-options/m-p/6237224/highlight/true#M7548

Or just consult Macrium Reflect usage directions.

No Events found!