Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

12 Posts

February 10th, 2021 14:00

Aurora R7, 8700/1080, insane heat

My Aurora R7 thermally throttles. I used Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility to adjust the wattage, but I can't move the the volts. The heat is out of control. The motherboard does not allow me to adjust voltage settings or even enable / disable XMP. The Tuning Utility showed some odd wattage settings. The CPU ramps up to 120w for 28 seconds during turbo boost. Then it drops down to 65 watts. When I run Cinebench, I can see 4300 on all cores to start, but then it drops to 3600 at 65 watts. Max volts are 1.3ish. The initial temps jump into the mid 80's during those first 28 seconds and then drops down low 70's at 65w. i can adjust the watts and leave it at 95w, but the temps climb to 91c. CRAZY. I have the AIO liquid cooler for all that it's worth. I've tried different fans too. I have an 8700k on another PC and it never goes above 80w and stays constant at 4300 through Cinebench. It has a similar 120mm AIO cooler as the Aurora R7, but the temps stay around 68-70c. Pretty frustrated with the Alienware. I'm just about ready to ditch the case and mobo and drop everything into something else.

568 Posts

February 14th, 2021 12:00

@Guapo  Now you got me curious, what is a d15?

this? ....

markburv_0-1613336038239.png

or this? ...

markburv_1-1613336093248.png

If it is the former, I strongly advise you do not do this 

12 Posts

February 14th, 2021 12:00

@markburv 

Been pondering quite a bit, as you have bad temps on Cinebench, we can rule out the GPU overheating the upper half. You are liquid cooled, you have tested the CPU in another machine. Given @DrkHwk has a similar config and that you have ruled out the CPU in a different machine, I think it is safe to say it is not an airflow problem, you ether have a faulty MB.or a faulty cooler, I cannot after all this discussion see anything else unless you do not have the VRM heatsink 

I think you're right about the mobo / cooler.  The mobo is odd because there are options turned off because it's a non-k CPU.  i can't even set the XMP profile.  I should have put the 8700k in there during my testing a couple days ago to see if some of those options unlocked.  Duh...  In any event, I'll put some thermal paste on the dell and lay it on it's side with the D15 sitting on top.  A few seconds of Cinebench should tell me immediately if it's a cooler issue or the mobo.

12 Posts

February 14th, 2021 13:00

This big hunk of metal:
https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15

Guapo_0-1613336589183.png

12 Posts

February 15th, 2021 19:00

Here's the latest update.

Well, I think I figured out the reason I was getting so much heat.  The AWCC has a default fan feature that fixes the fans at 50%.  I went in and manually set my own fan curve, but then just realized AWCC keeps resetting the fan curve to auto 50%.  Apparently you have to set feature to never go inactive.  Now that I was getting some extra fan speeds, my temps are staying lower.  Imagine that...    So, maybe the crisis has been adverted for now.  I'll continue to keep an eye on things.

568 Posts

February 15th, 2021 23:00

Never seen that option on AWCC in my R8, I think I saw it mentioned once or twice here but didn't notice any resolution related. Interesting 

What thermal profile were you using, Balanced or Performance.

Before I tinkered replacing the OEM Fan with ML 120 Pros non rgb/led, I linked games to the performance profile. After installation of these fans, these profiles were invalid. To overcome and keeping it simple I used a fix offset.

Note whatever the thermal profile you duplicate, it seems based on the Balanced profile before adding the fixed/curved offset. Bear this in mind when you modify a builtin profile, thus creating a new profile.

71 Posts

February 16th, 2021 17:00

If you have xmp ram installed you have the option to enable. Even with Non K 8700

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

"I went in and manually set my own fan curve, but then just realized AWCC keeps resetting the fan curve to auto 50%."

It resets to the default settings after 10 minutes of inactivity in the R7. I know, really annoying.  If you were to click and open up AWCC again it would resume your manual curve.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

"Never seen that option on AWCC in my R8, I think I saw it mentioned once or twice here but didn't notice any resolution related. Interesting."

The R7 and R8 use different versions of AWCC.  The R7 also gets to monitor GPU fan speed and temps in AWCC, and don't have the on/off issue when exceeding 80% fan speed with the ML120 pro.

No Events found!