Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

9 Posts

October 14th, 2018 23:00

Aurora-R7, AWCC HDD sensor vs CPU sensor choice

When setting up the profiles in thermal control (which I keep having to reinstall because every windows update messes up their drivers and I get the CPU pump fail issue) by default my front and top fan ar set to HDD sensor, not CPU sensor. Any reason for that? should it not be linked to CPU sensor? specially given how hot the i7 8700 gets...

October 16th, 2018 10:00

I use the hdd sensor for my front fan, and top fan under cpu sensor. I find my front fan has a more consistent high rpm that way (in an effort to keep my OC cool).

I haven't had to reinstall anything due to a windows update yet, hoping it stays that way...yikes.

1 Rookie

• 

229 Posts

October 16th, 2018 13:00

@AntonioAcunar wrote:

When setting up the profiles in thermal control (which I keep having to reinstall because every windows update messes up their drivers and I get the CPU pump fail issue) by default my front and top fan ar set to HDD sensor, not CPU sensor. Any reason for that? should it not be linked to CPU sensor? specially given how hot the i7 8700 gets...

Which BIOS do you have? I updated to the 1.0.16 and myself and others got the CPU pump fail. And Dell has now removed that BIOS from the Aurora R7 driver page. Windows updates I don't believe caused the CPU fail

The CPU pump hasn't failed it conflict with the AW Command Center. It reads now as CPU fan... i'm just living with it till new version comes out.

October 16th, 2018 17:00

Same boat, most current bios that nearly bricked my system.

Just waiting for an updated command center, which we will prob never get. Everything works just great, yes showing "cpu fan" is annoying as heck for those of us with water cooling. But it's just a buggy and way out dated program. We are lucky that is the only thing not working with it. Losing OC profiles or something would suck harder...

1 Rookie

• 

229 Posts

October 17th, 2018 11:00

@PentatonicSteel wrote:

Same boat, most current bios that nearly bricked my system.

Just waiting for an updated command center, which we will prob never get. Everything works just great, yes showing "cpu fan" is annoying as heck for those of us with water cooling. But it's just a buggy and way out dated program. We are lucky that is the only thing not working with it. Losing OC profiles or something would harder...

I took the OC controls off my PC just AWCC running I don't OC and didn't want any software on my PC messing with anything. Water cooled i7K 8700K with 1080Ti 11GB only went with 16 GB ram but its plenty. Crushes 3DMark in most benchmarks.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 17th, 2018 12:00

@22GREEN wrote:

1. just AWCC running I don't OC and didn't want any software on my PC messing with anything.

2. went with 16 GB ram but its plenty

1. Same here. These i7's are crazy-fast already.

2. Agreed ... running 8gb x 2 dimms (dual-channel) here.

October 19th, 2018 12:00

The way I saw it...If I can OC it, I might as well. What's the point of an 8700k without OC?.

Anyway, similar specs but with an AMD vega 64 and 64gb of hyper fury x xmp ram at 2933.

Sound card and other trinkets as well.

I wouldn't call 16gb of ram "plenty", it's basically the new minimum in my opinion (for anything tasking like games and editing).

1 Rookie

• 

229 Posts

October 19th, 2018 22:00

@PentatonicSteel wrote:

The way I saw it...If I can OC it, I might as well. What's the point of an 8700k without OC?.

Anyway, similar specs but with an AMD vega 64 and 64gb of hyper fury x xmp ram at 2933.

Sound card and other trinkets as well.

I wouldn't call 16gb of ram "plenty", it's basically the new minimum in my opinion (for anything tasking like games and editing).

I think 32 gig for gaming is over kill thats mainly what I do on it. Plus I have 11gig on my video card, and to OC to squeeze out a few more Mhz and FPS is not worth it when you're taxing your system but to each his own right. :)

PS BIOS 1.1.17 is out and supposedly fixes the CPU fail in AWCC i'm not sure I want to install it.

No Events found!