Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

4 Posts

March 17th, 2019 09:00

Aurora R7, BIOS 1.0.18, all USB 2.0 on back DEAD

I just updated my Alienware Desktop Aurora R7 to BIOS 1.0.18 because it was marked "URGENT" in the list of pending updates.  Boy...was that a mistake to perform this update!  Immediately after this BIOS update completed (apparently successfully), I discovered my COM3 port (used to connect to various amateur radio peripherals) was GONE from "Device Manager > Ports (COM & LPT)."  Next, I discovered at least one Audio port (CODEC) was also missing [from "Device Manager > Audio inputs and outputs"].  Yet, I also noticed that one OTHER Audio port (CODEC) was still present in Device Manager.

I found it curious that both those missing ports were physically connected into the bank of USB2 ports on the back of the desktop's chassis.  After some experimentation, I have concluded that the upgrade to BIOS 1.0.18 disabled ALL those USB2 ports on the desktop's back chassis!  Whenever I moved a cable attached to a perfectly good working device (say mouse or trackball) from it's USB3 port to one of these USB2 ports, it STOPPED WORKING.  Yet, when I moved the device back to its USB3 port it worked again. 

Does anybody have a fix/workaround for this problem of BIOS 1.0.18 killing the bank of USB2 ports on the R7's backside?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 17th, 2019 11:00

@TinkerTony wrote:

Does anybody have a fix/workaround for this problem of BIOS 1.0.18 killing the bank of USB2 ports on the R7's backside?

I just updated my Alienware Desktop Aurora R7 to BIOS 1.0.18

No, never seen anything like that on my Aurora-R6, but I haven't updated the BIOS in about a year.

Here are some troubleshooting tips:

- Test all ports with a plain (USB 2.0) flash drive. Keep good notes.

- In Device Manager, turn on "View by connection"

- Install and use NirSoft's USBDeview .

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 17th, 2019 12:00

Also, in BIOS ... try switching any "USB related options" off, and then back on.

2 Intern

• 

402 Posts

March 19th, 2019 06:00

After the update, you may wish to do a power-bleed reset. Disconnect the power cable and press the button on the back of the PSU to discharge the capacitors. Wait about 30 seconds then power back on. Sometimes a reset like that can help.

2 Intern

• 

402 Posts

March 24th, 2019 06:00

Just got back from a week's long business trip in Argentina.  Decided to update the BIOS in my R7.  Everything went well; took about 5 minutes with the two reboots.  BIOS now shows 1.0.18 and all USB ports are functional.

No Events found!