shawn77
1 Nickel

Aurora-R7, any antivirus suggestions?

Hello

I finally broke down and spent some decent money on an aurora R7 with hopefully good specs.

Any suggestions for anti virus?  On my r3 I used avg antivirus free.  Was thinking I should pay for a decent antivirus and hoped to find an antivirus program that is not too intrusive/won't interfere too much and was wondering what other folks like.

All comments are really appreciated.  Thanks very much for taking the time to read and answer.

I

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
fireberd
6 Indium

Re: Any antivirus suggestions for aurora r7?

I, and many techie friends, all use the built in Windows Defender, along with Malwarebytes.  My local computer clients (all except one) also use the Defender with good results. I also use my desktop for my recording studio and it does not interfere with recording.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

Highlighted
shawn77
1 Nickel

Thanks very much for the response.  I wondered if defender would be adequate,  thanks

0 Kudos
Clevor
1 Nickel

I just bought an MSI Aegis 3 Plus desktop in addition to my Aurora R7. On all my other computers (4 total) I had been using Windows Defender (WD) and never had any issues with viruses. The MSI had Norton Security installed on a trial basis, so I decided to use it.

The problem with WD is you have to check for updates every time you boot. I would say 9 out of 10 times there is an antivirus update, then you have to do a quick scan to be safe. With my MSI, I have yet to see a Windows update every time I boot! It seems the only Windows update is a major upgrade - quite shocking. I did the upgrade to Win10 1803 a week ago and did not have to install any updates the last 12 times I booted! Norton runs the antivirus in the background, as well as the virus updates.

The con with Norton is if you do a full scan, the CPU really heats up! It gets way hotter than running games. I see temps in the 96-100 C range whereas during max gaming the temps on the i7-8700 never gets above 88 C. This is a known issue with Norton.

Frankly, I plan to purchase either Kaspersky or that other brand I forget - which is #1 right now - because I can get a license for 5 computers for $25-79 bucks so it's not so bad. Norton has a lot of other stuff too that tells you when somebody is trying to hack you computer, or if you download a file, it tells you if it's safe. You can get a Norton license for $25/5 computers but I don't like how much resources it uses. And of course, these prices are only 1 year subscriptions so you have to pay every year.

0 Kudos
fireberd
6 Indium

See this on Kaspersky

https://www.cnet.com/news/us-bans-kaspersky-software-from-government-agencies-trump-dhs-russia/

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos