Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

4 Posts

May 16th, 2020 15:00

Aurora R7, case swap to Corsair 220t

I bought the alienware aurora r7 a year ago and the case lights dont stay on longer than the boot up time so im buying a new case the corsair 220t and i want to put all my parts into it, however i need a new psu and im unsure as to what power supply my model is my model number is: "AWAUR7-7982SLV-PUS" and when i swung out the PSU arm there is not a single HELPFUL sticker in sight. 

I am also interested in a general speed upgrade whilst i have an i7 8700 and a gtx1080 the RAM is such a low speed and i need more SSD slots and space and also a better motherboard thats not dell propietary 

so im thinking the ASUS z390 UD with new ram sticks corsair vengeance and a new PSU but ive no idea which one i would be best fitting with for the 8700 and 1080. Can anyone give some suggestions...  it will all be goin in a mid tier corsair 220t 

will the STOCK liquid cooler from alienware go into any other pc? or is it only fitted for the aurora???? or should i sell it and get a diff? perhaps RGB i will probs result in that but in the meantime whilst on the road to upgrade i will need it cooled somehow.

Thanks for any help, 

General summation of the questions

- will alienware stock liquid cooler fit in any other case?

- What power supply is my above model number^  "AWAUR7-7982SLV-PUS"

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

If the cables can be unplugged from your psu it is 850w, if the cables are not removable it is 460w.  It is made by either Delta or Huntkey, manufacturer is not relevant for purposes of upgrade.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@KeyHoll16  

If this is the case you are getting there is a list of compatible Corsair Hydro Series AIO CPU liquid coolers in the Tech Specs.

Corsair iCue 220T 

Regardless of what your R7 PSU is, get something that can handle some future upgrades. I would not get anything less than 850 watts.

2.2K Posts

May 16th, 2020 16:00

@KeyHoll16 :

1. Yes, the AIO from your R7 will fit in another case. It's similar to Corsair H55 AIO. All made by Asetek (my new friend on Twitter because we be chatting about the new cooler they made for the R11 graphics card).

2. That isn't the PSU product code. What you pasted is the R7 product code. Every system has a unique service tag and with it the original build configuration. You can go to support.dell.com and plug in the service tag to see the PSU configuration of your system.

Are you familiar with building a PC from scratch? Because that sounds like what you plan to do. Just migrate the CPU, GPU, SSD, RAM over.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

May 16th, 2020 16:00

The AIO is intel standard 75 mm spacing, mounting bracket is on the backside of the mobo.  So it would work but the rad hoses are probably way too short for all but really small cases.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 16th, 2020 17:00

@GTS81   Are you familiar with building a PC from scratch? Because that sounds like what you plan to do. Just migrate the CPU, GPU, SSD, RAM over.

Actually, @KeyHoll16  said we get to buy new RAM because the existing is slow . . . and more SSD space. They mentioned more speed, so if the i7-8700 is going to be upgraded, we may not be locked into the Z390 motherboard. The GTX 1080 is what I have in the pseudo Alien, so I know the perfect water block      

4 Posts

June 18th, 2020 07:00

Personally never done it before but i have a friend whose built around 4 PC's and hes going to help but not going to lie it practically is just migrating those four aspects and putting it into a new case

1 Message

September 10th, 2020 09:00

I'm thinking of doing a case swap so I can fit an RTX 3080 in my R7 system. I know I'll have to swap out the PSU and get a case big enough to fit the 11.2" card. Have you completed the swap or figured out if the stock R7 liquid cooler will fit into the Corsair 220t @KeyHoll16? If so I might do the same swap. 

I'd love to know how it went and/or if you had any problems that I should also be wary of. Thanks!!!

4 Posts

September 10th, 2020 09:00

I haven’t swapped yet actually in favour of saving money for a decked out lian li custom loop case cos i got a friend whose gonna help me with it, i recommend upgrading psu and all should work fine 

March 4th, 2021 17:00

so i know that this is an older topic but i wanted to say that i did in fact move all my components from the alienware r7 stock liquid cooled to the corsair 220t.  it was a little nerve racking because i had to use many different forums and sites because of how different alienware does things.  anyways the motherboard will fit i had to move the stand offs in the new case to accommodate the alienware motherboard but they just screw in so that part was easy.  the liquid cooler that came with my alienware did fit however you will have to use it as a back fan/radiator and not a top one like in the alienware case.  as for the power supply i had already upgraded to a fully modular focus px-850 i originally had the 450 power supply that came with the alienware and it just wasnt going to cut it for future upgrades and short cables.  i did not move over the front intake fan from the alienware theres no need for that many fans with three intake fans on the front of the 220t.  for the power button: i did NOT have to keep the stock alienware head power button from the old case (many people ran into this problem when i was looking up info)  on the cables that come with the 220t take the POWER SW cable and insert it into the 3rd and 4th pin connection on the led controller connector (white input on bottom left of motherboard next to yellow audio input) this will let you turn on the machine however you will have to use start shutdown to turn off. as for the fans and the light node on the 220t: there is no usb 2.0 connections on the alienware motherboard you will need to purchase an adapter. there are no extra plugs for the fans to go so you will need an extender.  personally what i did was buy a usb 2.0 adapter and then also purchased the icue commander pro to plug the fans into and give the ability to change colors and speeds. now just for a quick fix you can connect the light node cable to the processor fan connector (white connector on left of ram slot) and one of the front fans to the front chassis fan connector (black connector on right of ram slot) this will give you lights and allow one of the front fans to run. the i/o shield on the r7 is part of the case and cannot be removed however you can remove a padded cutout on the back on the i/o shield to use in the new case or purchase an i/o shield for the new case which is what i did. you will get a startup message check saying there is an issue with hardware (front fan etc.) you can either just hold down the esc key to bypass or go into bios to change settings.  i hope this helps someone it took me forever to get it all figured out some by trial and error and some by forums

1 Message

December 27th, 2022 20:00

Sorry I do know this is this is utterly old but I want to see any pictures that you do have of the case swap I plan on building a way better computer but I want to build an extra pc off of the Alienware n case swap my R7 as well but I keep seeing “ it’s impossible “ “ dell parts aren’t compatible “ “ you have to keep the alien head power button “ etc etc 

but please if you can reply , or email me for more info to see if it worth the time 

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

December 28th, 2022 07:00

In my opinion not worth the time, unless you have time for such a project.

Most of the Alienware components are OEM and do not meet any ATX standard. So moving them over into an ATX standard case will often require modifications.

You will have to be knowledgeable to be able to pull it off and are likely going to run into issues if not.

4 Posts

December 29th, 2022 15:00

Hello Xbd,

I was successful in my case swap, however in future i’d recommend just not bothering investing in any form of dell equipment as it is awfully cheap when broken down. 

The alienware aurora r7 was a decent pc at the time but hardly would have lasted future games after 2-3 years owning. Therefore this case swap worked in my favour.

I case swapped to a Lian Li O11 Dynamic case. and in the end the only thing that i actually kept from the R7 was the memory, the hard drive and the gpu.

I ended up having to buy a new motherboard mainly due to aesthetic purposes, I never tried to fit the AW motherboard due to how ugly it looks. I had a decent idea that it wouldn’t have worked out well though. I then with a new motherboard, optional, didn’t have to, but I upgraded my CPU to an AMD Ryzen 7, i originally planned to keep the AW Cpu which was an i7 8700, but decided to just change anyhow. This case swap was in the depth of the gpu crisis so I did not bother upgrading that due to how expensive they went. I also had to buy another PSU as the ketchup and spaghetti cables weren’t the prettiest looking when i put it in the case. the Lian Li case is very open so you need it to look good where as the AW case is closed so it doesn’t matter how everything looks.

I used the stock AW Ram for a while but upgraded that in due course for aesthetic purposes also.

I also bought an AMD Wraith cpu cooler which came with the CPU, I didn’t fancy the single AIO and then of course wanted some flashy rgb fans also. there were two stock fans I used for a time but by time I mean a couple weeks tops. 

If you do case swap, I would make a decent job and go long with it, however if you have a closed in case a lot of the stock parts will suffice as you needn’t worry about how everything looks.

I am happy with how mine turned out and it sits proudly in its rgb glory on my desk now.

Hope this helps.

Ciaran

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

December 30th, 2022 07:00

I did a similar thing with my R10 components. I pulled the CPU and GPU from the R10 and moved it into a new retail build using a Lian Li case. All the other components I purchased new and are retail.

No more compatibility issues and everything works great without all the limitations the R10 had.

No Events found!