Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 10th, 2018 10:00

Aurora R7, compatible retail RAM?

Hi, 

I have a new Alienware Aurora R7, BestBuy purchase, a very nice machine.  I want to do a couple upgrades.  I want add an M.2 2280 1 TB PCIe Samsung Pro NVMe drive.  I'm comfortable with this upgrade as I have already asked on this forum regarding its compatibility.  Thanks for that Tesla1856.   

I'm struggling with the RAM upgrade. It appears the RAM in the pic below, meets the specs for this machine at least on paper.  I've seen a couple other posts on Amazon regarding this RAM working with success on another  Aurora R7.  But, as you know RAM can be tricky.  I cannot find independent confirmation, even from Corsair that this RAM is workable with the Aurora R7.  I'm thinking I may be alright.  However, I wonder if the community would chime in on my chance for success here with this Corsair RAM.  Perhaps others have used it with success.  I hate RMA's, especially 15% restocking RMA's, especially if not compatible.   I have noted on this Corsair RAM NewEgg shows the "Timing" and "CAS latency".  I cannot find these spec'd on the Dell certified RAM shown in the upgrades area for my Aurora R7 on Dells web site.   Does this "Timing and CAS Latency" make a difference when I am adding two entirely new sticks of the Corsair RAM with the stock RAM installed.   So, you ask why don't I just purchase the Dell Certified RAM from the Dell Store.  Well the fact is a mere one stick of 16 GB RAM albeit certified for this Aurora R7 is more expensive than two sticks of this Corsair RAM.  Thus my desire to purchase this RAM from NewEgg.  

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Memory Kit

Please note the link to the RAM I want to use at New 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233853&ignorebbr=1

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.  Brad

1 Rookie

• 

83 Posts

August 10th, 2018 14:00

@Tesla1856 wrote:

I've had good luck with Crucial (Micron) over the years.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Alienware/aurora-r7

You want matched pairs for Dual-Channel operation. For an Aurora-R7 (without K-class processor) I would likely just go with the cheaper 2666mhz ones (that is already really fast). However, I think the slightly faster ones are suppose to down-clock.

Man, is ram getting expensive again or is it just that these are large DIMMs?  :Crying:

I can't say which of these are confirmed to work. See forum posts, like from @AlaskaWolf and others.

For the Crucial the 2666MHz  2 -16GB Sport works well.  And yes, I'm thinking the days of cheap RAM may be over for a while.  A 25% tariffs on RAM and GPUs is going to sting...  

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

August 10th, 2018 11:00

So I don't have an exact answer but one thing you can do is go to Cosair's website and look for a RAM selector. They will tell you what they offer for your computer. I know Crucial has a really good one that breaks everything down.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 10th, 2018 13:00

I've had good luck with Crucial (Micron) over the years.

You want matched pairs for Dual-Channel operation. For an Aurora-R7 (without K-class processor) I would likely just go with the cheaper 2666mhz ones (that is already really fast). However, I think the slightly faster ones are suppose to down-clock.

Man, is ram getting expensive again or is it just that these are large DIMMs?  :Crying:

I can't say which of these are confirmed to work. See forum posts, like from @AlaskaWolf and others.

1 Rookie

• 

83 Posts

August 10th, 2018 13:00

@bnperrault   In my research into trying to figure out what RAM would and would not work on the R7, I tried both the Corsair Vengeance 2 x 8GB and 2 x 16GB and had stability issues with both of them.  I ended up sending them back, but as strange as the R7 mobo is, they may work for you.  The 2666MHz RAM that seems to provide optimal performance on the R7 motherboard in my testing is the HyperX 2666.   https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-HyperX-HX426C16FBK2-32/dp/B06XKSPW5V?th=1.

As far as the Crucial memory checker that @beamermt79 mentions, it is totally incorrect when it comes to the Aurora R7.  Of the 106 "compatible" choices it gives you, the majority of them (~95%), absolutely will not work in the Aurora R7.  The R7 does not support any 4GB modules, or 4 - 8GB modules, or the Ballistix Elite 3200. 

One of the biggest drawbacks I have found with the Aurora R7 is the incompatibility of RAM that logically "should" work, but absolutely will not work with the Aurora's proprietary motherboard.  There are numerous threads on the R7 and RAM incompatibility in this forum.  To date its been found that the G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 works (thanks to @hrgreen), the HyperX 2666 and factory 2933 work, most Crucial 2666 MHz seems to work fine as well including the Sport and Tactical modules.  Just keep in mind that 4GB modules do not work at all, and while the R7 will boot just fine with 2 - 8GB modules, it will not boot AT ALL with 4 - 8GB modules (verified by Alienware Tech Support).  I finally opted for 4 - 16GB HyperX 2666 and I'm quite pleased with my R7 now.

Hope this helps.

August 10th, 2018 17:00

@AlaskaWolf

@Tesla1856

Thanks all for your detailed posts.

@AlaskaWolf  You are right when I went to Corsair's web site, (you referred to Crucial....I knew what you meant) the Corsair site seems not as clear and not well defined regarding details.  So, I ended up going to the Crucial web site.  Thanks, @Tesla1856 for providing the link. 

From this link I determined the Crucial Ballistix Sport LT was compatible.  I decided I wanted to go for the whole hog, I was going to look for a 64 GB set and keep the Ram matched. 

I found the link to make the purchase at Crucial:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/aurora-r7/CT11081331

However, still wanting a bargain (especially at that price) I went to check out NewEgg and they had the same set of Ballistix Sport Gray, and Whites, for the same price $703...ugh,  then on the off chance I selected the Crucial Ballistic Reds, from NewEgg's site and lo and behold, the same 64 GB - 2666 Speed RAM, and the price dropped to $640....those babies immediately went into the NewEgg cart. I figured whats the chance of RAM pricing dropping anytime soon.  Save $60, I'm so there.  Although the RED's, they were not my first color choice, its a funny thing, the Aurora R7 probably won't care.  :=)  Bottom line I hope I won't be disappointed. 

I'm fairly confident, all because you Tech Wizards have coached and guided me and given me some good options so I might make a better decision as to what is most likely to work.   So, I'll likely have some 2 x 8 GB or, 16 GB of stock Dell RAM to sell, but I don't think I will have a problem moving it to capture some of today purchase.    

I'll post back on how the Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (REDS) work out when I have them delivered next week and run them for a few days. 

Thanks everyone. 

5 Posts

August 15th, 2018 01:00

Wow forum...Truly impressed.

Thank you for all the insight. I am going to do a RAM upgrade and I wished I would have found this forum 7 research hours ago.

I purchased the: 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1317498-REG/crucial_bls2k16g4d26bfse_32gb_kit_16gbx2_ddr4.html

Ballistix 32GB Sport LT Series DDR4 2666 MHz UDIMM Memory Kit (2 x 16GB, Red) 

B&H # BAB2164D26BE   MFR # BLS2K16G4D26BFSE

$316.26    It will arrive in 3 days.

1) My first question is can I add this Ballistix RAM to my Dell RAM making it 48GB total.

2) Will it harm my R7? 

3) What DIMM slots should be with what Memory?

Dell Ram info

Dell
  • Manufacturer Part SNPTP9W1C/16G
  • Dell Part AA101753

370-ADUB : 16GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2666 MHz (2X8GB)

DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 8GB, 2666, 1RX8, 8G, DDR4, NU

I also watched a YouTube where the user went into BIOS Advanced mode to activate his 4x8gb : 

Performance Options: Overclocking Feature (Enabled)  OC Level 1

XMP : (XMP1)

YouTube Title : Alienware Aurora R6 / Ram Upgrade // 32GB 2666Mhz   Timeline 4:07

Any insight on this strategy would be much appreciated? 

Thank you all, it is much appreciated.

1 Rookie

• 

83 Posts

August 15th, 2018 07:00

@Ecoalien   Although I haven't tried mix and matching 8GB and 16GB RAM modules in my research, I rather suspect that if you mix them you most likely will get an automatic "Bad RAM" error at power up.  What started my research was finding out that 4 - 8GB modules would not work.  Period.  You could not get to the BIOS with 4 - 8GB modules installed, the R7 immediately faulted out at power up, presetting the BIOS to XMP and OC did nothing.  The R6, I believe, came with the factory option to install 4 - 8GB modules, or even 4GB modules; the R7 does not.  The fact that 4 - 8GB RAM modules WOULD NOT work in the R7 was finally acknowledged by both Alienware Tech Support and their Engineering team.  Oddly, according to them 3 - 8GB modules would work, but 4 absolutely would not.  They never answered the "why" question.

So, can you mix and match 2 - 8GB and 2 - 16GB modules?  Maybe, but most likely not.  Besides the aforementioned problem, the Ballistic Sport is XMP enabled RAM but the factory Micron RAM (Dell Part AA101753 - the same that shipped with my system) is non-XMP.   Both pairs of RAM use different timing cycles and it is not recommended to mix and match memory with different timing cycles. It is considered a best practice to use matched memory in all memory banks, for a reason.

Even if your system powers up with both sets, which is doubtful, the system will default to the lowest timing cycle, the Micron RAM, and you will be unable to enable XMP.  Some motherboards are very sensitive to mismatched ram, the motherboard in the R7 falls into that category.

When I installed my 16GB HyperX 2666 modules, the old non-XMP went into my extra parts drawer.  I'd recommend you do the same.

5 Posts

August 19th, 2018 00:00

Hi AlaskaWolf,

Thank you very much for your explanation. It truly makes sense. Because I like to experiment but not push boundaries, would it hurt the Mother Board system if I try to intergrade both sets of ram, bedsides error notifications?

If you feel that it can harm my board in any way please let me know. If not I will stick to my 2-16 Rams solo.

And thank you again for your detailed message. 

I also have also purchased (2) 

Samsung 1TB 860 EVO SATA III 2.5" Internal SSD 

B&H # SAMZ76E1T0BA     MFR # MZ-76E1T0B/AM

I plan on Cloning one of the 2.5 SSD with the current 3.5 HD

and then in bios switching over the 2.5 as Main startup drive.

Then set the other 2.5 SSD to Mirror the Main 2.5 startup drive.

And then erase/reformat the 3.5 HD and use it as a Slave Drive.

What are your thoughts?

Once again much appreciated for your time.

My dad would be proud of my computer upgrades, he is a Veteran that suffered a stroke 2 years ago. He is a computer programmer.

Eco Alien ; )

September 19th, 2018 17:00

I have the 32 gb of oem 2666 ram that came with my system sitting around doing nothing. I replaced with 64gb of Kingston Hyper fury x 2933. Been meaning to sell the oem stuff as I know how hard it is to purchase from Dell.

I have no use for it but havent been bothered to create a sale on amazon/ebay etc...

2 Posts

October 25th, 2018 08:00

If you still have the ram I'd be interested in buying it. I bought an R7 with a 8700 processor and 2666 mhz ram. The ram I bought has a base clock speed of 2800 mhz but the default initial boot speed is 2133 and Dell blocks any attempt at "overclocking" the ram to it's rated base speed, or even the 2666 speed I currently have with the old ram. Figuring out what ram will work, and what speed I can get is turning into a major headache.

2 Posts

October 26th, 2018 04:00

The G Skill Ripjaws V 2800 work but boot at 2133mhz with no way to adjust them :(

Tried 3 different sets of Corsair at 3200, 3000 and 2400 and they all boot at 2133. All from working machines that are running at the listed speed or better.

October 29th, 2018 07:00

I still have it yes.

Absolutely we can work something out. 

Email me at and I will provide pics and info as needed. 

I am at the beginning of my work week now so my replies may take a bit.

7 Posts

November 28th, 2018 02:00

I recently purchased a 2nd 8GB stick of Hyper X 2933MHz and I'm having the issue with the PC not booting. You mention that 'Factory' 2933MHz works but I assume non-factory Hyper X will not work? So, would my best option be to return the 2933MHz, sell the factory installed stick and buy a 2666MHz 16GB kit? Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

83 Posts

November 28th, 2018 05:00

If you purchased your second stick directly from HyperX, then no it will not work with the Dell OEM 2933 MHz RAM.  There is some mysterious difference between the two that neither Alienware nor HyperX will comment on other than to say that there are "timing differences".  Your "best" option, as has been posted in numerous posts, including this one, is to go with 16 GB modules.  With the 8 GB modules, you are stuck with ONLY two; four 8 GB modules will not allow the system to even POST, you simply get a Bad RAM message at power up -- this fact was unfortunately confirmed by Alienware Tech Support, in writing.  You can use two 8 GB modules of 2666, 2933, or even 3000 MHz RAM, but the absolute maximum performance you can obtain with 8 GB modules is 16 GB @ 2933 MHz.  I opted to go with the cheaper 16 GB 2666 MHz modules which allowed me to expand to 64 GB of RAM. The benchmark performance between the more expensive 2933 MHz and the less expensive 2666 MHz is so slight as to be absolutely unnoticeable, and barely measureable.  I am honestly very happy with my decision.  Good luck!

7 Posts

November 28th, 2018 07:00

So, the OEM 8GB Hyper X can be paired with another OEM module? I'd be looking to sell the OEM module but I think it'll just bite me in the **bleep** if somebody is looking to pair it with existing RAM.

No Events found!