Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 27th, 2018 14:00

Aurora-R7, i7-8086k compatible?

I have an Aurora R7 model with an i5 8400 with a stock cpu fan and I may have won an i7 8086k that I'd like to swap in it's place. Will there be any issues with doing this aside from extra power needed and potentially more hot temps I'll need to deal with?  I'm more concerned if there will be BIOS related issues. I've read elsewhere that the Mobo should accept any 8th gen Intel CPU but I'm just wondering since this is a limited edition CPU.

July 20th, 2018 16:00

Hey Bro,

Just installed. Work perfectly. Just plug and play..

see below pic

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18bJnD54RZt3nEsMXcTP6Lu0EKPRkTpvs/view?usp=sharing

11 Posts

June 29th, 2018 08:00

I guess I'll just plop it in there when I get it and see for myself.

July 14th, 2018 13:00

did you try? i also bought a 8086k

11 Posts

July 14th, 2018 15:00

I don’t have yet unfortunately but I was going to update this thread when I got it. Unfortunately they haven’t given me any info on when it will ship to me so it might be awhile.  If you get yours soon then please let me know if it works ok!

July 16th, 2018 13:00

Thanks. I should get it tonight...I will see if I have time to install it.

July 16th, 2018 13:00

but base on my search, it should not have any problem except if the bios can be read it. 

Make sure update the latest bios.

11 Posts

July 16th, 2018 20:00

That’s what I figured. Did you end up getting yours and installing it ok?

July 20th, 2018 10:00

dont have time..will try this weekend.

1 Message

July 20th, 2018 15:00

I eagerly await the verdict. Holding off on buying an R7 until I see if it will be compatible, would go with the cheapest CPU Dell offers and then swap to 8086k.  I assume Dell will start to sell systems with these CPUs? Or maybe not being a "limited edition" CPU.

11 Posts

July 20th, 2018 15:00

The only other OEM PC seller I've seen with 8086k models is cyberpowerpc.  I haven't seen or heard of a Dell/Alienware model yet. The Aurora r7s use a z370 chipset so it *should* hopefully work. I've also read elsewhere people using other manufacturer z370 motherboards with old BIOS versions with the 8086k with no problems. Alienware's Twitter account gave me a "maybe" answer when I asked them. So as you said I'm eagerly awaiting as well!

11 Posts

July 20th, 2018 17:00

You da man!  Thanks a bunch for following up!

74 Posts

July 21st, 2018 03:00

A person buying an R7 now may not be able to get a 8086K in it, but he could buy it with an i5-8400 and ebay the 8400 for maybe $130-150 toward the 86.  Intel is just charging $90 to bin the chips.

32 Posts

August 17th, 2018 20:00

Hello!

I'm considering purchasing an R7 but trying to get the config where I want... then I see your thread and that you installed an 8086k!

Now this has me wondering if I should also go the route of configuring cheaper and installing the 8086 :)

Question though, in doing some thread searches here I read that some R7 motherboards allow overclocking and some do not. I don't plan on overclocking any of the components but i'm still curious if you are able to do so in the bios/apps?

Since yours originally came with an i5-8400 I'd like to know if your motherboard/system has been gimped because it wasn't originally a "k" config.

Thanks!

11 Posts

August 17th, 2018 22:00

I got my 8086k last week, installed it, and checked bios and found options for overclocking so it doesn't seem to be gimped. It makes sense because it's a z370 chipset and there was actually a recent BIOS update that indicated "enhanced 8086k support" in the notes. The real issue is thermals are a little too high at stock settings already with the stock heatsink that came with the 8400.  I am getting like up to 82 degrees Celsius during gaming so I haven't played around with OCing. Ive looked into getting a better heatsink fan but I read a popular post on this forum where someone did it and it seemed like a huge pain the rear. The other option would be to delid it but that comes with risks too.

32 Posts

August 18th, 2018 05:00

Yeah I've also been reading about the thermal issues on these machines and that's the other thing holding me back from pulling the trigger.

I'm looking at both the XPS 8930 and the Aurora R7 and it seems like both of them have heat issues with the 8700k and 1070 and higher video cards. If I go the XPS route I was going to get the 8700k and 1080 but i'm worried about expandability and heat. But then if I go with the R7 to be able to utilize water cooling and eventual possible SLI configuration of video cards would adding a second beefy video card further kill the airflow in the machine and make things worse?

Not a high end gaming person (I have xbox/ps4 for that) but I would like to be ABLE to game or tinker around with video editing etc on these and I don't want my computers overheating/freezing/burning up just by playing a game or doing a bit of video editing or other heavy load tasks.

Did you buy your R7 with the water cooled CPU/850w PS option? I've read online some people were able to buy their R7 with regular air cooled CPUs at some point.

I currently use an XPS that is about 4 years old now with an i7-4790 and an R9 270 which was decent when I bought it and I've never ever had heating issues under full load so i'm really stressing over getting a new machine haha

No Events found!