Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

3 Posts

May 5th, 2019 08:00

Aurora R7, make SSD primary boot drive and keep HDD as storage

Aurora R7

Samsung EVO 860 500GB 2.5 inch SSD (SATA)

So I currently migrated all my data from my HDD to SSD from the Samsung data migration tool and am really confused on the Alienware EUFI/BIOS. Do I have to turn RAID mode off for the SSD to be the Bootdrive? Also, and if so will that disable my HDD from being used or is it only a priority to the Bootdrive. I already have the SSD turned on and everything in Disk Management. I got this computer not long ago and would really love to not have to reinstall Windows and all the other drivers. Which is where i was also wondering does data migration overwrite data that's already in the target drive? For example if i reinstalled just windows on an empty SSD then migrated ALL my data from my HDD including windows, to the SSD will it make to copies of the windows data and possibly corrupt or etc.? Or will it overwrite the data and realize its the same files and work just fine.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I am very overwhelmed when it comes to all this and knowing I could make a grave mistake and lose everything doesn't help. Also i could only find 1 actual video that explains installing the SSD more than just putting it in the Alienware case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoOIBJYYvGE

10 mins in

Screenshot of my disk management, HDD already cloned to SSD

Screenshot (1).png

May 5th, 2019 09:00

Update: After trying to restart my PC and go into BIOS absolutely nothing happened, tried F2 and F12. I also tried going into it from Windows settings, Updates and Security and i get a blank screen every time. I turn off my computer there and my lights on my keyboard flash a couple times like they have never done before. I next removed the HDD drive to boot just the SSD and try and still nothing. But peculiarly I connected both drives again but after disconnecting my HDD it boots my SSD first, Don't get me wrong this is what i want but now i have another problem with my BIOS. I am also scared if I i delete my data on my HDD and continue to use my SSD as planned, one day it will switch to the HDD and boom i cant get into BIOS. I turned my computer of a few times and it still chooses the SSD over the HDD but I did NOTHING. It even switched the names of C & D drive

No Events found!