Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Y

21 Posts

August 4th, 2018 23:00

Aurora-R7, not booting after BIOS update

I attempted to update bios via SupportAssist. Came back to computer after an hour and monitor didn't show anything even after moving mouse/keyboard. Shutdown computer and started again with button press. Nothing displays even startup screen. LCDs display on case and power button is on. However, mouse doesn't display laser as if there is no power. If I plug in mouse it flashes color and then doesn't display laser underneath. What is going on?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 5th, 2018 03:00

Unplug the PC (Power supply) from the AC power for at least 1 minute.  Plug back in and see if it starts. 

Even if it had a BIOS corruption it should still power on.  Resetting the power supply by removing the AC power as noted may get it going.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 5th, 2018 08:00

With the PC powered off, remove the CR2032 battery on the motherboard for at least 10 minutes.  Reinstall, observing polarity, and see if anything changes.  

Since it basically does nothing, it may be more than just resetting the BIOS.

Dell has a procedure to recover from a corrupted BIOS.  But, with the symptoms it seems to be more than a corrupted BIOS.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln300716/bios-recovery-options-on-a-dell-pc-or-tablet?lang=en

21 Posts

August 5th, 2018 08:00

Unplugged it for way over a minute with the same results. Button and case lights are on, but nothing happens, mouse laser light isn’t on either as if it’s getting no power. Is there a way to reset the bios?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 5th, 2018 09:00

@Yodellma wrote:

Is there a way to reset the bios?

There should be a CMOS reset jumper on motherboard. See Aurora-R7 PDF manuals.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 5th, 2018 11:00

@fireberd wrote:

Dell has a procedure to recover from a corrupted BIOS.  But, with the symptoms it seems to be more than a corrupted BIOS.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln300716/bios-recovery-options-on-a-dell-pc-or-tablet?lang=en

Never-the-less, I would try both F12 and/or CTRL-ESC ... quickly tapping right after power-on.

Then in a situation where BR-2/3 should work, I'm not sure that BIOS-Posting (Alienware Logo display) looks normal.

21 Posts

August 5th, 2018 16:00

That didn’t work either (cr2032 battery removal, didn’t try recovering corrupt bios) but it did speed up the Alienware phone support diagnosis. They told me the motherboard needs to be replaced and a service call has been scheduled. He also mentioned this is why most people don’t update bios after the warranty expires. Additionally he mentioned it’s better to update bios directly rather than via SupportAssist.

21 Posts

August 5th, 2018 16:00

That doesn’t work either since there is no power going to keyboard or mouse. Monitor button remains orange as if there is no input either.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 5th, 2018 19:00

@Yodellma wrote:

That doesn’t work either since there is no power going to keyboard or mouse. Monitor button remains orange as if there is no input either.

I uninstalled Support Assist before it messed with my system any more.

https://dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/My-Aurora-R6-The-Adventure-Continues/m-p/6095405/highlight/true#M3971

Sure does not sound good. Sounds like it got bricked. Hopefully, it's still under warranty:

Here is Dell's policy on a corrupted BIOS update:

https://dell.com/community/Customer-Care-Wiki/Dell-Policy-BIOS-update-breaks-motherboard-CMOS/ta-p/6063959

21 Posts

August 5th, 2018 19:00

Thankfully it’s still under warranty although I’m not thrilled about getting a refurbished motherboard, I suppose as long as it works...

First thing I’m doing is uninstalling SupportAssist and will uninstall on my other Dells as well.

fyi the last link you posted shows:

You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.

I’m logged in when this message displays. Can you copy the message in a reply instead?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 5th, 2018 20:00

@Yodellma wrote:

1. Thankfully it’s still under warranty ... getting a ... motherboard.

2. First thing I’m doing is uninstalling SupportAssist and will uninstall on my other Dells as well.

3. fyi the last link you posted shows:

1. Good

2. Under the circumstances, I think that's best.

3. Sorry, try it now.

21 Posts

August 5th, 2018 21:00

Ok, so it’s a one time thing only, even in warranty. Good to know. I’ve done 100s of bios updates over the years in the same way, although only recently via SupportAssist. It says to close any running programs which is what I did as always. Any idea why this may have happened? There was no power outage etc.

1 Message

August 9th, 2018 22:00

I feel for you!  SupportAassist keeps on nagging me to update a bunch of stuff including the BIOS, so I caved in, and I just had the exact same problem as you described.  Apparently, this "Urgent" BIOS update has bricked enough computers that they posted a one-time-only motherboard replacement policy even for computers under warranty.  This is completely not acceptable.  I had a new computer, and I was simply following the nagging prompt to update the BIOS because it was labeled "Urgent" to fix a security flaw.  I don't even want a computer with a replaced motherboard, I want a new computer with same configurations.  If they knew their so-called Urgent BIOS update is bricking people's machines.  They should push out a DO NOT UPDATE notification.  . Obviously, the BIOS update through SupportAssist wasn't tested thoroughly.  I have owned or managed hundreds of computers before.  Never ever had a failed BIOS update.

2 Posts

October 7th, 2018 16:00

Same thing has happened to me. Happened 3 times now. Luckily after the 1st time I had them take remote access to the computer and do the update themselves so the same thing happens after they updated the BIOS. And I got the motherboard replaced again  for free due to it happening when one of their representatives did it. Sadly after the 2nd repair their repair techs destroyed my 3rd party gtx 1060 video card. Charging me to replace that part for the original by telling me that the video card wasn't working. They didn't tell me that they damaged it beyond repair or replacement from the manufacturer.  

1 Message

October 13th, 2018 20:00

Really wish i had all this before i finally caved in to support assist and just bricked my r7.  This is the first time ive ever had an issue with Dell.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 14th, 2018 13:00

@DC_Monkey wrote:

i finally caved in to support assist and just bricked my r7.  

Unplug from wall and let it rest (and dissipate flea-power).

If still broken, see older posts in this thread for your options.

No Events found!