Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

42 Posts

April 17th, 2020 23:00

Aurora R7, replacing 256GB SSD boot drive to larger capacity

Hello Friends:

I own a Alienware Aurora R7 machine. It was purchased with the 256GB M.2 PCIe NVME boot drive/1TB 3.5 7200rpm SATA hard drive combo. I thought 256GB would provide ample amount of boot drive space to handle most all my applications, but it's nearly full.

I purchased this machine with the intent to run AutoCAD LT 2021, I have yet to install. I haven't installed any game as well. The only applications I've installed over 1GB are- Nero, and Adobe Acrobat DC. 

What I've discovered is that iTunes writes all of it's iPhone backup data to Windows system level file structure? My iPhone XR has over 100GB of music file data, it's taking-up over half the 256GB SSD boot drive space. I've updated the iTunes preferences, and reset path to point to my 1TB SATA storage drive, but it doesn't seem to affect where it writes the data backup (seems only to set music download storage location). My boot drive is over 70% full, I wish not to operate this way.

Anyway, I would like to upgrade the SSD boot drive to one of these:                                  https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-m2-pcie-nvme-class-40-2280-solid-state-drive-512gb/apd/aa618641/storage-drives-media

What is best manner to carry-out this task? Contact Dell support (purchase new SSD drive, etc.,...). I would have to re-install Windows 10 Pro, etc.,...

Appreciate your help.

Dave

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

April 18th, 2020 04:00

You can get a 512GB to 1TB M.2 NVMe ssd to upgrade the 256GB.  I heard Samsung 970 Evo plus is a good model.  No need to buy from Dell.  
On a side note if you are backing up iTunes music only on local drive, I would suggest have a secondary back up hdd or ssd that you use only once a while on another pc, as I heard tales of ssd suddenly died on user without any warning and gone just like that.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

April 18th, 2020 07:00

1.  ITunes doesn't let you change your default backup location, but if you do a google search there are a number of articles from other users on how to do this yourself or on downloading a backup extractor app to do this for you.  

2.  You can save a lot of money buying a retail m2 nvme SSD from amazon.  $270 is a lot of markup for a generic 512gb drive 

3.  Alternatively you can save even more money and buy a sata 2.5" drive to use for storage, your pc came with two unused 2.5" caddies waiting for a drive, then you can keep your boot drive, and here see #1. 

42 Posts

April 18th, 2020 18:00

thank you for your input. And yes, I definitely make a point to redundantly back-up everything to multiple external drives. I've heard nightmares about pretty much every type of storage drive failing, and folks losing all their data. 

42 Posts

April 18th, 2020 19:00

Thank you........

1.  ITunes doesn't let you change your default backup location, but if you do a google search there are a number of articles from other users on how to do this yourself or on downloading a backup extractor app to do this for you

<<< you mean a third-party app that will extract/write iPhone data to it's own custom file structure? I will do a little research on that >>>

2.  You can save a lot of money buying a retail m2 nvme SSD from amazon.  $270 is a lot of markup for a generic 512gb drive

<< >>

3.  Alternatively you can save even more money and buy a sata 2.5" drive to use for storage, your pc came with two unused 2.5" caddies waiting for a drive, then you can keep your boot drive, and here see #1. 

<< >>

42 Posts

April 18th, 2020 20:00

"3.  Alternatively you can save even more money and buy a sata 2.5" drive to use for storage, your pc came with two unused 2.5" caddies waiting for a drive, then you can keep your boot drive, and here see #1. "

<<

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

Re: so I can use, either, 2.5 SATA SSD drive? Or also 2.5 SATA disc drive? in the two spare bays

yes to both.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Yes, on Windows we still have iTunes to deal with. But actually, I hardly ever use it. I mainly use iCloud and iCloud for Windows.

Yes, it is easy to re-direct (your local ripped MP3 library) to E-drive or whatever.

Never thought about whole iPhone backups. I don't use them ... I mean I already have the MP3 files saved locally, and everything else is backed-up to iCloud storage. But, it you must ...

https://reincubate.com/support/how-to/change-itunes-backup-location/

A 256gb C-Drive is manageable (as I'm doing it on several systems ... they usually run at 50-100gb free) ... but yeah, that it why I always recommend a 512gb NVMe SSD as C-drive now-days.

If Dell would just pre-config this way, people (not paying attention anyway) would just buy and be happy for many years:

C - SSD NVMe 512gb
D - SSD SATA 2.5inch 1tb 

EDIT:

And for godness-sake ... go install your AutoCAD LT 2021 and start using the machine as intended.

No Events found!