Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 14th, 2018 05:00

Aurora R7, upgrade to i9-9900K?

Would it be possible down the road to upgrade the  i7-8700K in my Aurora-R7? I ask because the new i9-9900K CPU's are still utilizing the LGA-1151 socket. In addition, many benchmark tests of the i9-9900K online seem to show the CPU running on Intel Z370 chipset. I'm assuming at least from what I know that an upgrade path is feasible as long as Dell updates the BIOS on the Aurora-R7?

ETA: just saw this which seems to confirm my assumption: https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel-core-i9-z370-support

2.2K Posts

May 14th, 2019 00:00

Chatted today with tech support and got confirmation that OC should be enabled by just swapping out the i5 9400 with an unlocked CPU. I won’t know until I actually go get a boxed unit to try this so this is all accepting the answer in good faith.

2 Posts

June 13th, 2019 06:00

For the people who are comfortable taking off the VRM heatsink, the AIO block, and then inserting a new $500 CPU, do you really think they are going to run out and buy a new R8 just because it supports the i9-9900k? No, most would probably try flashing the R8 BIOs, and that fails, just throw out the motherboard and swear under their breath "never again" and tell their friends and family to buy anything other than an Alienware. All this "Alienation" (pun intended) of your installed enthusiast base just so that you can sell more R8s to a different set of people who wouldn't know a motherboard from their mother? This latter group wouldn't have bought channel R7s with i5 non-K CPUs so that they can swap in an I9 later anyways. They would have either bought the R8 from the site, kept the machine for 5 years, and called it good, or if they wanted to save the money, bought the remaining R7s from your channel partners because it doesn't matter to them that the CPUs are not upgradeable. You do all this machination to stop the few enthusiasts from buying the channel R7s to upgrade to 9th-gen CPUs? After they read this thread, they wouldn't touch the R8s either because they know Alienware will try to pull the same stunt on the R8 in a couple of years.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 13th, 2019 11:00

2009 DDR3 mac pro towers are hackintoshable to allow unsupported processors.

Older units from 2006 to 2008 are DDR2 so the chipset as well as the ram is not able to keep up.

Having a 2009 or better machine means you can hack it to be current including but not limited to running Mojave 10.14.5

Apple failed to come out with new mac pro in 2018.

The new proposed update starts out priced wayyyy beyond what I am willing to pay.  The other issues are now Spectre and Meltdown and Zombie Load.

Apple tends to update OS every year and force out old hardware every 7 years OR LESS.

Microsoft learned from this by making all future pc's WINDOWS 10 only and 64 Bit Only.  Intel plays games with sockets and ram and chipsets to force you to buy new equipment every 3 to 5 years.  INTEL, NVIDIA, ATI, QUALCOMM, etc have all signed onboard to the secure boot 64 bit windows 10 only for drivers and everything else.

4 Posts

June 13th, 2019 15:00

@PCWCFA This was perfect... just perfectly stated and couldn't have been summarized better!

6 Posts

June 17th, 2019 11:00

slow clap for PCWCFA 

Well said! 

1 Message

June 22nd, 2019 08:00

I'll never buy Dell again if they dont allow r7 to upgrade to 9th gen

1 Rookie

• 

229 Posts

June 26th, 2019 07:00

I myself want to keep a close eye on this. My Aurora R7 is a year and half old and it would be great to upgrade this year or next.

402 Posts

July 2nd, 2019 11:00

@Davemacx wrote:

I don't think it's ever going to happen.

I started this thread but I've already resigned myself to the likelihood that we'll never see Intel 9th gen CPU support on this platform.  But you know what, I've learned a valuable lesson - and that's to never waste my money on a pre-built computer again, much less one from Dell.

Anyway, the new 3000 series Ryzen's are looking much more appealing.  I'll probably be going back to the AMD camp once time for a new PC.  And I'll be sure to build the thing myself this time around. 

July 3rd, 2019 19:00

Found your thread by search if I can upgrade my 8086K to 9900K in my R7. No good!

7 Posts

July 6th, 2019 05:00

@amstel78 wrote:

@Davemacx wrote:

I don't think it's ever going to happen.

I started this thread but I've already resigned myself to the likelihood that we'll never see Intel 9th gen CPU support on this platform.  But you know what, I've learned a valuable lesson - and that's to never waste my money on a pre-built computer again, much less one from Dell.

Anyway, the new 3000 series Ryzen's are looking much more appealing.  I'll probably be going back to the AMD camp once time for a new PC.  And I'll be sure to build the thing myself this time around. 

The sad thing is that if we had of bought ANY other prebuilt system with a z370 motherboard we would be able to upgrade to 9th gen and it would have most likely been cheaper.

402 Posts

July 17th, 2019 14:00

Came home to find the R7 sitting on a BIOS recovery screen.  Had to restore the BIOS.  Then, the PC decides to reboot itself about 5 times so I figured an update must have happened while I was at work.  Sure enough, the BIOS is now 1.0.19. Of course, it's just security patches because Intel can't get their **bleep** together. Such a disappointment.

July 18th, 2019 19:00

Well said PCW...
I was in favor of buying a Dell and would recommend to friends and family given the right price, but this action from Dell and the silence from Dell employee watching this thread make me decided to never ever recommend a Dell again. Literally iBuypower, PowerPC or even walmart pcs are more up-gradable, have just as good return policy and customer support. AND I'm even more **bleep** off since there were times in the past few months where the i9-9900K became very cheap and I missed out on all those deals, because that chip would be useless on my R7.

Alienware employee should make note of the 2nd point: people who can install and upgrade GPU won't ditch their R7 for an R8 just for a CPU anyway, so your action of blocking their upgrade is not only useless but it will backfire. No doubt there will be people who had enough and sell their R7, build a new system and tell their friends never to buy a Dell again.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

July 18th, 2019 20:00

I wonder if there is actually any difference between the R8 motherboard, and the R7 motherboard, that would justify Dell not updating the R7 bios to accept the 9th generation CPU IDs?  We already know that 9th generation is compatible with Z370 boards.  Case in point:  the R8 uses a Z370 board.  So aside from the Dell part number "IPCFL-SC" vs. "IPCFL-SC/R," is there any difference at all between these two Z370 motherboards?    

4 Posts

July 19th, 2019 16:00

@r72019 Nope! Only difference is the part number according to the Alienware tech support guy I spent about 2 hours talking with.  The guy was great, but basically he agreed with me and confirmed that it is the same motherboard simply with an updated part number. 

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

July 29th, 2019 20:00

So basically the the R7 and R8 are identical models, same case, same motherboard, etc., and will run all the same hardware, with the only distinction being a bios software update to authorize 9th generation chips in the R8. What a marketing gimmick. The R8 owners should also be upset that they didn't at least get a Z390 board for their price premium. They basically paid extra to get an R7 with a bios update. Seems even crappier for R8 owners who purchased 8th generation chips, as they got an R7, but at an R8 price point.
No Events found!