Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 23rd, 2018 19:00

Aurora-R7, work with Aurora-R2 liquid cooler?

I just got my Alienware Aroura R7 with a GTX 1060 and i7 8700 and am getting overheating with the CPU reaching 82-89c when running a game and am reading that the air cooling system on the Aroura R7 is not very good and a lot of people are having overheating problems with it, I have an Aroura R2 that came with liquid cooling and was wondering if that liquid cooler would be compatible with my R7, anyone able to help?

If not where can I get a compatible liquid cooler for the R7 as I'm living in Canada and the dell.ca site doesn't sell a stock liquid cooler for Alienware systems.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 24th, 2018 11:00

@Dravax wrote:

Alienware Aroura R7 with a GTX 1060 and i7 8700

1. and am getting overheating with the CPU reaching 82-89c when running a game

2. I have an Aroura R2 that came with liquid cooling and was wondering if that liquid cooler would be compatible with my R7, anyone able to help?

3. If not where can I get a compatible liquid cooler for the R7 as I'm living in Canada and the dell.ca site doesn't sell a stock liquid cooler for Alienware systems.

1. I think that is to be expected with a recent Intel-i7 on just air/fan cooling. Not sure why they let you config/buy them that way.

2. No, that cooler will not work. One reason is it is too tall (notice Aurora-R7 Power-Supply clearance). I'm pretty sure there are other reasons.

3. I suggest stock Aurora-R5/R6/R7 Liquid-Cooler. It is made by Asetek. It will come with the proprietary Alienware wiring/plugs and will work with Command Center.

I guess a distant second choice would be Asetek model they cloned. There are some recent threads here about installing after-market LC in Aurora-R5/R6/R7.

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

October 23rd, 2018 20:00

6 basic eBay search terms: Alienware Aurora liquid (cooler) (heatsink) / MH0HN / M2YMT / 050NP

ex. Genuine Dell OEM Alienware Aurora R5 / R6 Liquid CPU Cooler heatsink fan - MH0HN

ex. Alienware Asetek LGA1151 Liquid Cooler with Fan PH367 

MH0HN appears to be the one that ships in R6 R7, it's the preferred cooler

Re: R2 coolers --> we've been advised that the standard R1-R4 cooler pump assembly is too 'tall' to fit or work in R5-R7 (the PSU would not be able to close)

*note that the R4 01YGW premium cooler is a different low-profile design & might work

If you wish to try your R2 cooler or an R4 01YGW low-profile anyways, all R1-R4 coolers would need a socket 1151 retention ring from Asetek , & then slightly 'force' your cooler's 7pin power connector down onto the 4pin fan header (a header / connector type which it isn't designed for, but has been known to stay put)

Basic specs: standard R1-R4 coolers are 27mm wide radiator + aluminum base

Upgraded 01YGW + better copper base R4 cooler is 38mm wide (should come with socket 2011 ring / would need 1151 ring)

R5 R6 R7 copper base 30mm wide

R1-R4 pinouts below

Insert cooler black 7pin over 4pin fan header, such that connector pins 1 2 3 (+ slot 4) of the 7pin make contact (pins / slots 5 6 7 do not matter), press down until connector 'sticks' in place (the positive top latch of the 7pin & the 'tab' of the fan header should force together)

*a good CPU Thermal paste / grease needs to be applied to CPU 1st, Arctic Silver 5 @minimum, see uTube

4 Posts

October 23rd, 2018 21:00

Seems complicated, not really tech savvy. Is there any compatible AIO liquid coolers for the R7, or would something like this work https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835288007

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

October 23rd, 2018 22:00

I posted links to original R7 cooler, it's the sensible choice due to minimal cooler tube length when shutting PSU closed; if buying used hardware concerns you then buy two & hold one as spare

For non-Alien type coolers you need other member input & search the forum using keywords (example Aurora Corsair / cooler / liquid etc)

4 Posts

October 23rd, 2018 22:00

Reason I asked for other compatible ones is I couldn't find any of the stock ones used for R7

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

October 24th, 2018 00:00

One way to find what comes 'stock' is to run a service tag, here I've ran two, R7 + 8700k, both were shipped with MH0HN. I linked you to two of them 

M2YMT / 050NP are other potential part #'s; of course you'd run those through Dell (google too)

If there are members here running Corsair H75/80i etc, you may expect & may get member input later. I do not own your desktop, can not pass judgment on coolers that aren't original, other than to say long cooling tubes present a 'discomfort' when time to close PSU swing arm, and, it is possible some coolers have never been tried in order to define what happens in that small space; it may be you buy product from place that accepts ez returns & dive right in, see what happens. This is all I can add here, good luck 

4 Posts

October 25th, 2018 00:00

Yeah it's pretty stupid they let you do that, if someone goes to buy it with a 8th gen i7 CPU it should pop a warning saying it requires liquid cooling or just put it into the default configuration that has those CPU's, I didn't really think it would come without it as when I got my R2 many years ago it came with liquid cooling by default, was stupid on my part not to look and just buy the default configuration. 

I decided to go with https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-HYDRO-Liquid-Cooler-Radiator/dp/B009VV56TY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529280550&sr=8-1 and bought some better thermal paste to go with it along with a Noctua fan to replace the one that came with the liquid cooling, I found a guide on it and despite it being a tight fit it still works and the PSU isn't putting to much pressure on the hose so it should be fine.

No Events found!