Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 31st, 2020 16:00

Aurora R8, 600w PSU, RTX 2070 XC has no power and will not detect

I just got an Alienware R8. I went to upgrade PSU, "600B" and GPU, "EVGA RTX 2070 XC gaming" and I am getting no power to GPU seemingly and my system will not recognize it. I have tested both GPU and PSU on another rig and both are working fine. "Parts are not faulty". 

The integrated graphics work from the motherboard no problem.   

Question #1. I noticed there is a "GPU power" slot on the motherboard. Does this need power to run a graphics card, even if the 8 and 6 pins are plugged into the card itself as in most situations?

If it does not need the GPU power on the motherboard to be plugged in What is the next step here. The BIOS seems to not have any options for PCI slots?    

any help would be great thank you in advance. 

Stay safe out there. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 31st, 2020 16:00

@No dents   I noticed there is a "GPU power" slot on the motherboard. Does this need power to run a graphics card, even if the 8 and 6 pins are plugged into the card itself as in most situations?

Yes, there must be power to that mobo connector.

What is the next step here. The BIOS seems to not have any options for PCI slots?

You must turn off secure boot for a non-Dell discrete graphics card.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

March 31st, 2020 17:00

Plug in the 4 PIN evga cable labeled "CPU" into the GPU_PWR header, otherwise you will get a black screen.  If you have two available plug in both, otherwise you should be fine with just one plugged in on the left hand side (see my photo below).

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

March 31st, 2020 17:00

Here is mine with an evga psu:

four screws on bottom fan herefour screws on bottom fan here

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

March 31st, 2020 19:00

I have the EVGA G3 gold 850w (replaced by G5), and it has all the needed cables plus extra to spare.  

The doubling up is just to distribute the heat evenly to the whole mobo connector.  I was using just a 4 pin with a gtx 1080, and added the second one when I upgraded to a Titan. But Dell sells/ships the system stock with only 4 pins (8 pin connector, 4 wired) so I wouldn't worry if you only have one.  If you get an 850w psu you should be fine as far as cables included.  Note that if you buy this with a 2070 from Dell I believe they require the 850W psu option.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 31st, 2020 19:00

@No dents   Also does having only the 4 pin connected cause any issues I am using this on a sim racing rig triple monitors etc it is getting a workout and I'm looking for the best performance I can get. 

No. There is no performance degradation with a 4-pin connector. If there was, @r72019 would have never suggested that solution.

Did you get it working?

If you are going to continue pushing your performance, consider a Seasonic or Corsair 850 watt fully modular PSU.

EDIT: Just saw your PM, so I am adding a photo of the Seasonic 850 watt fully modular PSU. Fits perfect, as will Corsair. (click photo to embiggen)

IMG_3733.JPG

4 Posts

March 31st, 2020 18:00

Thanks guys! so the problem now is that my EVGA 600B does not have another cable to plug into it ...

I am assuming this is normal for this model and that a better one will have all the connections I need including the strange-looking 8 pin header for the Mobo. It looks different than the 8 pins on my PSU. Will this be included in a better PSU?

Also does having only the 4 pin connected cause any issues I am using this on a sim racing rig triple monitors etc it is getting a workout and I'm looking for the best performance I can get. 

4 Posts

March 31st, 2020 22:00

Thanks, guys I have some things to consider here. Moving forward I may pull the i7 CPU on this for another rig I have with a bigger case/fans and Mobo then pop an i5 in this and have a second rig for my GF. 

Thanks again for the help. Great community here. I will let you know how it goes.  

Take care. 

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

March 31st, 2020 23:00

I missed the entire party today as I was hammered at work. 

@No dents : So did you get the 2070 and PSU working? Was it because of that GPU_PWR connection to the mobo? You have a cable to connect to it, correct? Like @r72019 and @Anonymous said, any 8-pin or 4+4pin EPS header should plug in there fine.

4 Posts

April 3rd, 2020 01:00

UPDATE: 

Yes I got it working. Split the two CPU headers of my 600B PSU so one could reach the GPU power 8 pin plugged in the 4 pin CPU header into half of it and boom my GPU "RtX 2070 XC gaming" now has power and all is working. Thanks for the help.   

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

April 3rd, 2020 03:00

learn this, 

if you have box full of GPU card all with ATX12v PCI-e Aux ports, 6 or 8 pins

and IF you test them in any Dell, PC.

you will learn this, the connectors on the cards are NOT optional (Aux power is not optional present)

the pins too are not optional,  most cards when you power it up the VBIOS on the car scan those pins

for missing connections and if missing fail to run. (self protection for the VRM on board,)

learn this or waste huge time , even getting confused and spending fortune replacing perfectly good parts.

the adapter cables work because if look at it ,see no PINS are empty and now you know why.

working means runs full 3D games and 3D  full load benchmark apps and will BSOD or will it go  ugly,artifact.

reading 2D mail is not test.

The only exception to rules is if your actual card maker told you, that it was ok  to not use  all AUX connections.

2 Posts

July 14th, 2023 08:00

I think I'm having a similar problem to you. My new 650W Gold power supply doesn't have power cords to be sent to both the CPU power and GPU power sockets on the motherboard. So, do you now have power only being sent to the GPU power port on your motherboard or do you have power sent to both the CPU power port and the GPU power ports on your motherboard? When you say "Split the two CPU headers" do you mean that literally? If so, did you need a special cable that can be split? Sorry if these questions seem stupid, I'm new to this.

2 Posts

July 14th, 2023 08:00

I think I'm having the same problem. I upgraded my power supply in the R8 system from 450w to 650w. But the new power supply doesn't have connectors to both the CPU power and GPU power ports on the motherboard. Are you saying that the system, including CPU, should still work if power is only sent to the GPU power port on the motherboard and no power is sent to the CPU power port on the motherboard? Thanks for the clarification. Cheers.

4 Operator

• 

2.1K Posts

July 14th, 2023 11:00

Probably should have started a new thread.

Both CPU power and GPU_PWR motherboard headers must be connected. If the new PSU only has one EPS power cable, and it is an EPS 8-pin (4 + 4) then you can use one 4-pin connector for CPU power and the other 4-pin connector for GPU_PWR . . . if it will reach both places on the motherboard.

No Events found!