Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 21st, 2022 21:00

Aurora R8, PSU GPU connectors

Greetings,

I have Alienware Aurora R8 with 850 watt PSU. It has 2 pairs of 8-pin GPU connectors, 4 in total. Currently my GPU uses 2 8-pin connectors and I would like to upgrade to RTX 4080 blower (if available by any manufacturer). I reviewed specifications of RTX 4080 founder's editions and it uses 3 8-pin connectors. My question is, if I can use 3 of the 4 8-pin connectors because they bundled in pairs.

Thank you.

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

September 22nd, 2022 04:00

They do not use 3 8 pin connectors. they are using a single PCIe Gen 5 cable. Do not plug any PSU pins into the power connector unless you have a PCIe Gen 5 cable. (Which you don't)

There are 2 versions of the RTX 4080 and each has it's own specific requirements. You don't need anything special since the adaptor is included in the box so you can connect them if you don't have a PSU that has a PCIe Gen 5 cable.

However, I would highly advise against purchasing an RTX 4080 for an R8 since it uses Intel 8000 CPU's, and they are way underpowered and cannot drive an RTX 4000 series card properly.

All that will result in is the same frame rates as a 3080 card because of the CPU bottle neck.

September 21st, 2022 22:00

Thanks for the reply. I have another unused cable with 2 8-pin connectors. I need to know if I can use one of them.

I have 2 cables, each has 2 8-pin connectors. Can I connect one cable with 2 8-pin connectors, plus another cable with 1 8-pin connector?

Thanks.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 21st, 2022 22:00

@michael_du wrote:

Alienware Aurora R8 with [Modular] 850 watt PSU.

I would like to upgrade to RTX 4080 blower (if available by any manufacturer).

1. I reviewed specifications of RTX 4080 founder's editions and it uses 3 8-pin connectors.

2. My question is, if I can use 3 of the 4 8-pin connectors because they bundled in pairs.

Thank you.

1. Does it really !? Wow, ok.

2. Well, you can look on the back of the Power-Supply. Notice what specific socket (or set of sockets) a "8 pinner" PCIe-Power Cable uses. If there is one more proper set, you can buy another cable from Dell parts and try to hook it up.

Also, be sure Nvidia (or card manufacturer) says 850w PS is enough.

No Events found!