Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 6th, 2019 07:00

Aurora R8, can't enable virtualization

I just got a brand new Aurora r8 fully loaded and I thought I'd run Oracle Virtual Machine on it but vt seems to be disabled and I can't find the setting in the BIOS to enable it.

Anybody know how to enable vt on one of these desktops?

3 Posts

March 27th, 2020 13:00

I found a solution for my issue. 

1. I set the hypervisorlaunchtype to off. I believe the default is auto.

To do so open up powershell or cmd as an administrator, then run the following command

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

2. Next was to turn off Windows Defender Application Guard 

search for "turn windows features on or off" or use the control panel

Make sure that "Windows Defender Application Guard" is not checked.

Reboot.

Re-ran the Intel Processor Identification Utility now shows that Intel Virtualization Technology is available and Intel VT-X with Extended Page Tables. 

Capture.PNG

Hope it works for you. 

NOTE: In my case I only had Windows Defender Application Guard enable, but I think it would be the same if you had Windows Sandbox, Virtual Machine Platform, or Windows Hypervisor Platform enabled.

August 6th, 2019 08:00

FWIW - I found a manual for this system and it indicates the setting should be in the advanced section of the BIOS but the setting is not present. The manual is => https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/al/en/aldhs1/alienware-aurora-r8-desktop/alienware-aurora-r8-service-manual/system-setup-options?guid=guid-71c9d160-d98d-4d22-8715-6eeffcadda64&lang=en-us

Do I need a newer/different BIOS?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 6th, 2019 10:00

Normally, if old/retro BIOS options are now missing ... it usually means the feature is Enabled (with no way to disable it).

What exact-model CPU is installed?

Using Oracle's trouble-shooting tool, what VM feature does it say is missing? What is the exact error message?

August 7th, 2019 10:00

cpu is: i9-9900k on a windows 10 build version 1903 The exact Oracle VM startup error is: (VERR_NEM_MISSING_KERNEL_API). VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX). Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005) Component: ConsoleWrap Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 7th, 2019 10:00

Assuming you mean Oracle VirtualBox ...

Here are some tips. Looks like Hyper-V, Windows Hypervisor Platform, and maybe some other things need to be disabled.

https://superuser.com/questions/1391838/virtual-box-is-not-working-on-windows-10

They also have helpful/active forums over there. Personally, I've only used (recently) the macOS version of Oracle VirtualBox. Works fine btw. 

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

August 8th, 2019 20:00

So just to make sure everyone is on the same page, you don't see these options in BIOs Setup > Advanced, as noted in the service manual that you quoted below::   

20190808_200924.jpg

REPLYING TO: 

"FWIW - I found a manual for this system and it indicates the setting should be in the advanced section of the BIOS but the setting is not present."

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

September 5th, 2019 08:00

In my prior screenshot:

Virtualization for direct I/O = VT-d

Virtualization = VT-x

1 Message

September 5th, 2019 08:00

I've got the exact same problem... I need to enable hw accelerated virtualization tu use VirtualBox, but there's no option for vt-x and vt-d when I go to advanced settings in the bios.

3 Posts

November 9th, 2019 16:00

Same problem, have you found any solution? I called support, they attempted to update BIOS, and when the Virtualization options still did not show up in BIOS I was assured that it was enabled due to Virtualization showing enabled on Task Manager > Performance > CPU stats. However VT-x is not enabled according to failed VirtualBox with same error, failed Intel haxm with similar error, and the following output from Intel Processor Identification Utility:

Screenshot (1).png

This conflicts with the specs provided by Intel here , but according to the docs the ID Util reports supported CPU technologies, not technology functionality reported by machine, so this may actually just not be a supported feature and be a problem with Intel's documentation. Alienware support told me to contact Intel support, so that is next step unless someone here can point me towards solution.

November 9th, 2019 17:00

The manual shipping with the latest R8's does illustrate the two VT lines in the BIOS. My machine (i9-9900k cpu) shipped 2 weeks ago (Oct 28, 2019) and the BIOS did contain these lines. HOWEVER, going onto Dell's Download & Driver page I saw a BIOS file (Version 1.0.7) marked "urgent". So I downloaded the file and FLASHED the BIOS. Both VT lines disappeared from the BIOS. The result is that both PCIe slots (No.1 & 4) no longer function making the installed twin NVIDIA 2080 GTX cards useless. The only video output is via the display port but I must physically remove both video cards first. I read in one of these responses that Dell was issuing advice to contact Intel support. This is not an Intel problem with the Advanced Technology Virtualization. It is a Dell Problem to correct via the correct BIOS that these machines shipped with and remove the Bogus BIOS currently on their Web site. (Ver. 1.0.7, I believe dated 2 Sept 2019). Dell needs to post the correct BIOS on their web site. I find the argument that these features are now "built in" to be Bogus. I got the same line of BS from the tech rep. This argument indicates no control over the VT technology built into the i9-9900 CPU. This issue with a bad BIOS may be traceable back to American MegaTrends who writes the BIOS. Again, in my case it's a BOGUS BIOS causing the problem. I ran the complete Diagnostic Test on the machine and everything passed.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

November 9th, 2019 19:00

Reflash to 1.0.6, if that doesn't work clear cmos to reset bios.  Dell's pre windows diagnostic test wouldn't pick up corrupted bios.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 9th, 2019 20:00

@Eyeamwatchingu  ,

Yikes 

So, you re-flashed to v1.0.6 and all is good again ?

3 Posts

November 9th, 2019 21:00

I tried older versions all the way back to 1.03. Below that it would not allow older versions. They all had the same set of BIOS options. I also have gotten confirmation from the Intel message boards that VT-x is supported by my processor, and that BIOS would be what was disabling it. 

I do not understand how my BIOS could be corrupted. Everything is working normally short of missing options, it seems more like a bug that needs patching. But I could be wrong and resetting BIOS couldn't hurt to try. Is there a button on motherboard, or I just remove the battery for 10 seconds?

If it is a bug though I am pretty amazed that there isn't more of an uproar. Virtualization seems like pretty basic technology these days, and these are expensive machines not to support it. Especially when their hardware does.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

November 10th, 2019 03:00

I had primarily been thinking of @Eyeamwatchingu because he said he lost video after flashing to 1.0.7 (in addition to the option for disabling virtualization).  If the only issue is the lines to enable/disable don't show up in the bios screen my first thought would be that its already enabled and maybe you're missing some required software element for it to work. 

But @sambolias yes, the process is to disconnect all power and remove the battery and hold down the power button for 10 seconds.  You can let is sit like that for a while too if you want, lot of people say wait about 10 minutes to discharge residual power. I'm not sure if clearing cmos will do anything for your problem though, as noted above my first thought is vt is default enabled in bios if those options in my screenshot aren't available and that something else other than bios is preventing vt from working.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln284985/how-to-perform-a-bios-or-cmos-reset-and-or-clear-the-nvram-on-your-dell-system?lang=en#wHY

3 Posts

March 26th, 2020 08:00

@samboliasI discovered I have the same issue with the Aurora R9, and discovered the same issue you've outlined. Was wondering if you contacted Intel and what they said. 

No Events found!