Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

7 Posts

March 10th, 2020 16:00

Aurora R8, components case swap

Hello there! I bought a decently speced Alienware Aurora R8 a little over a year ago with the intent of getting a good gaming system without having to hassle with building myself. Now after saving for a year I've begun to upgrade my gaming setup. I've gotten better peripherals and better monitors. The issue is that the prebuilt Alienware case looks ugly (In my opinion). I wanted to know if I could do a case swap and just take the guts and hardware out of the case and move them into a better looking one. And if so, how much would I have to replace.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 10th, 2020 17:00

@masonmk10    I wanted to know if I could do a case swap . . .

What beautiful cases are you looking to swap into? Does your Aurora R8 have AIO liquid cooling?

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

March 10th, 2020 20:00

Two comments on the mobo:  (1) the I/O shield is built into the Dell Aurora case, so if you transferred the mobo to a new case, you'd have unlabeled connections and extra air cooling back there; (2) the power/led connection to the mobo is proprietary, so you'd have to manually re-wire the connection to the power button on the new case it won't be plug and play.  

2.2K Posts

March 11th, 2020 10:00

@masonmk10 :

So before you can do a case swap, you cleaned the R8 and now it won't boot? 

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

March 11th, 2020 11:00

R8 service manual shows power button board P/N is 29F15, identical to Aurora R5/R6.
Search the following on Dell Community for excellent discussion (it got misplaced in Dell laptops):

Aurora R5 R6 Community Discussion + Upgrades

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

March 11th, 2020 13:00

If rewiring power button is too much reverse engineering work, options for new case include getting a working non-Dell Z370 board that has standard front panel connectors.   they are getting cheaper on used market as users move towards newer Z390 or X399 etc.  chances are your R8 cpu is still good.  Move everything over from Dell board to new one. sell the OEM board for parts, not working if it doesn’t boot to recuperate loss.

2 Posts

April 23rd, 2021 16:00

Amigo yo quiero comprar una carcasa alienware aurora r8 vendeme la que dejastes 

No Events found!