Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

2 Posts

April 9th, 2022 19:00

Aurora R8, fan disturbingly loud during gaming

I'm experiencing VERY loud, sudden fan noises when playing some graphic intensive games. Most recent game with this issue is Plague Tale - Innocence. On both med and max settings (seems turning graphics down doesn't help at all). The noise is so loud it's almost like turning on a vacuum cleaner in my room, and very startling, however they only last ~5 seconds each time.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? I have already set PhysX to use GPU only. I highly doubt it's because something is overheating, because I checked the GPU/CPU temp in AWCC and they're all safe levels (~40-45 degrees Celsius), and I highly doubt 5 seconds of max fan time will help with anything. Also, I believe my R8 is liquid-cooled which should be very good for cooling to start with.

33 Posts

April 9th, 2022 21:00

It could be dust. Clean the inside of your PC and retest.

2 Posts

May 12th, 2022 19:00

I have an Alienware Aurora R8, and during gaming the fan gets extremely loud (as loud as a vacuum cleaner which I highly doubt is normal) in short bursts (~5 seconds), then goes back to the "normal" high speed fan for ~10-20sec, then repeats. The weird thing is during these bursts, the fan speed in AW Command Centre does not change to reflect the high speed. I just opened the case and cleaned everything as best as I can, but it didn't help. The system is around 2.5 years old, I haven't exchanged any parts, everything is OEM. Does anyone know what might be the issue?

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

May 13th, 2022 06:00

I would perform a pre-boot diagnostic test. Sounds to me like the speed feedback on one or more of your fans is not working correctly.

Diagnostic test 

27 Posts

May 14th, 2022 10:00

I'm also an owner of an R8, but I haven't yet fully seen or heard the stuff you describe.

Overall, I think you are not the only one who has experienced this. Linus tech tips, in their video "Final Verdict - $1500 Gaming PC Secret Shopper Part 4"(start at 3:00) had described the r7's(a slightly older model) cooling method as follows: "Not only that, the CPU would boost to 4.5 gigahertz, hit temperatures in the high 90 degrees celsius, then do this 'weird thing' where the cooling would rev up SUPER hard, then the temps and the clock speeds would go down, rinse and repeat."

I really don't know if there is a critical difference between the r8 and the r7, but I thought this might help.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 16th, 2022 10:00

@KevinDFZ wrote:

I have an Alienware Aurora R8,

1. and during gaming the fan gets extremely loud (as loud as a vacuum cleaner which I highly doubt is normal) in short bursts (~5 seconds), then goes back to the "normal" high speed fan for ~10-20sec, then repeats.

2. The weird thing is during these bursts, the fan speed in AW Command Centre does not change to reflect the high speed.

3. I just opened the case and cleaned everything as best as I can, but it didn't help.

4. The system is around 2.5 years old, I haven't exchanged any parts, everything is OEM. Does anyone know what might be the issue?

1. Since it happens "during gaming" ... other than the associated "surging" ... not completely unreasonable or unexpected. Fans usually just do as told to. System will overheat without proper cooling.

It would help to know which fan(s) you are talking about as there are several.

2. I suggest you get a better program to troubleshoot this problem. CPUID's HW-Monitor shows all fans, cpu cores, power draws, etc.

3. I use compressed air at 40 psi. I suggest you get all fans (ie Front-Fan) and heatsink-fins. Video card and Power-Supply also. The Liquid Cooler's radiator is hidden up top so you have to blow directly on it . Power-Supply swung-out ... blow inside-out and then outside-in thru top. 

One easy way to check LC is one tube should be hot and the other much cooler.

4. I think still viable and worth fixing.

2 Intern

• 

176 Posts

May 18th, 2022 02:00

The R7 was indeed "odd" when it came to keeping itself cool. It would start quiet then the CPU would hit 90 and it would rev up to cool it down, then go quiet until it hit 90 or so again then rev up, rinse and repeat. Was not a bad PC, was just not the fully upgradeable PC, Dell marketed it as, but they have history for that.

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

August 23rd, 2024 22:18

I am having the same problem!  I unboxed my machine less than 48 hours ago and the sound is ridiculous when gaming.  Fun stuff, let me know what the resolution is.  I also have a screen glitch I never had previously when watching regular stuff, like The Boys.  May be a return and I am SO SAD about this.

No Events found!