Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

35 Posts

March 9th, 2019 06:00

Aurora R8, how loud is it "supposed" to be?

Hey everyone, I hope you are having a good weekend.

So, my new R8 is about just under 2 weeks old now.

I'm just curious how loud is this system supposed to be at idle?  Should I be able to hear it from about 12 feet across the room when it is just on/idle and I'm not doing anything on it/opened any programs yet?

Tech suggested turning off "Turbo Boost" in the Bios at start, I would like to know opinions on this if anyone has time.

Best way I can describe the noise it is between a fan and a buzz sound, a little of each

I understand and appreciate computers in general can make noise, I'm just trying to figure out if this is how loud this computer  is supposed to be or not. (Yes I know it is hard to tell/give an opinion if your not in the room with it  - I tried explaining the best I can, so any feedback would be appreciated.

Also this is more than likely unrelated, but I figure I'll mention it:

A few days after I got it I had a issue where Windows wouldn't boot.  Was told to do a Windows reset and if that didn't work do a clean install of windows (Reset didn't work, clean install did, or well, seems to)

Ever since then it has been louder than before.

Thanks everyone.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 9th, 2019 10:00

On my (similar and loaded) Aurora-R6 ... at idle, I can not really hear it at 6ft . It's definitely quieter than my Aurora-R1.

I suggest you open it and discover what fans or components are making all the noise ... then you (or Dell) might have a chance of actually fixing it.

402 Posts

March 11th, 2019 12:00

My R7 was fairly loud when it ramped up due to curves.  That was with the stock fans.  I replaced the fans with aftermarket units from Corsair and Noctua; the machine is very quiet now, especially at idle.  I can only hear it when I put my ear up to the cooling vents.  When the machine is under load and the fans ramp up based on my curve settings, then it does become more audible.  The noise sounds more like a low pitched hum. Before, it sounded like a hair dryer.

35 Posts

March 16th, 2019 08:00

Okay guys, thanks for taking the time to reply (As usual)

I have started having another issue, going to explain it here quickly instead of making another thread, (For now)

As always, I appreciate your feedback.

This started happening about a week ago. 

This could be a concoindence but it seems to happen when there is sort of a "Lag Spike" in a game I'm playing

So I'm playing a game, and the game freezes for maybe 1-3 seconds (Has crashed the game, but usually it just freezes and starts up again)

And when this happens:  My computer sort of "Resets" is the best way to describe it - A few things I have noticed and some examples of what happens:

I have a External docking station with a Hard drive that is connected via usb and on when this happens, and this will reset as well, you can see/hear it get disconnected and shut off for like 1-2 secs, and start up again.

Also, I use a controller to play via usb. That also will disconnect for 1-2 seconds and start up again and reset my button configeration.

Will all the problems I'm reading about the 2080 ti's that come with the R8s, I'm worried it is the gpu and this is early signs of it failing.

Thank you very much in advance for your time and help 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 16th, 2019 09:00

@Jamemamone wrote:

And when this happens:  My computer sort of "Resets" is the best way to describe it - A few things I have noticed and some examples of what happens:

What shows in Windows Reliability Report around this time?

35 Posts

March 17th, 2019 13:00

Hey man, thanks for the reply.

I didn't know that Reliability Report program existed.

Looks like I have gotten this error almost every day since I have gotten the computer, and I have a score of...well it looks like 2-3, it is between the 1 and 5 on the chart :(

Windows Hardware error

Problem Event Name:  LiveKernelEvent

Code:   141

Parameter 1:  ffff9d0ea51a0010

Parameter 2:  fffff8045e59e454

Parameter 3:  0

Parameter 4:  2458

OS Version: 10_0_17763

Service Pack:  0_0

Product:  256.1

OS Version:  10_0_17763.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID:   1033

35 Posts

March 17th, 2019 14:00

It is the 2080 Ti that came with the R8

Also, i had that problem at the begining with no Nvidia control panel that you were nice enough to try to help me with in the other thread.

It has the latest drivers, that were installed in safe mode

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 17th, 2019 14:00

@Jamemamone wrote:

1. Hey man, thanks for the reply. I didn't know that Reliability Report program existed.

2. Looks like I have gotten this error almost every day since I have gotten the computer, and I have a score of...well it looks like 2-3, 

3. Windows Hardware error

1. Sure, no problem.

2. Yeah, that's bad.

3. I'm not sure, but I think that might be related to the video-card.

What is your video card make/model and what drivers are you running on it?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 17th, 2019 15:00

@Jamemamone wrote:

1. It is the 2080 Ti that came with the R8

2. It has the latest drivers,

3. that were installed in safe mode

1. OK

2. What drivers and where did you get them ?

3. I've never installed video-drivers in Safe-Mode. That is not part of my directions.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 17th, 2019 15:00

@Jamemamone wrote:

Windows Hardware error

Is Over-Clocking off in BIOS ?

Is Overclocking for CPU and GPU off in AW-CC ?

Have you have any internal hardware-changes since you got the Aurora-R8?

35 Posts

March 17th, 2019 18:00

Driver Version 419.17 had been installed this whole time (Installed in Safe mode) And it was the latest one at the time

I just installed 419.35 not in safe mode, looks like it is the newest one out, that came out on March 5th

I got both from the Nvidia Website, and they are the DCH version, as when I chose standard, it does not install them and I get the error message "Not compatable with your device"

I know that this issule is happening  both with and without overclocking on in the AWCC - I'm not sure what it says in the BIOS, I'll take a look, where exactly is this option in the BiOs? I know XMP is enabled under RAM in the Bios, not sure about anything else.

If it is on/off in the Bios, what should I switch it do/what do you recommend it being on?

Thanks!

35 Posts

March 17th, 2019 18:00

It has already done it once since the new driver update, so that wasn't it :(

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 17th, 2019 19:00

@Jamemamone wrote:
1. Driver Version 419.17 had been installed this whole time (Installed in Safe mode) And it was the latest one at the time
 I just installed 419.35 not in safe mode, looks like it is the newest one out, that came out on March 5th

2. I got both from the Nvidia Website, and they are the DCH version,

3. as when I chose standard, it does not install them and I get the error message "Not compatible with your device"

4. I know that this issule is happening  both with and without overclocking on in the AWCC - I'm not sure what it says in the BIOS, I'll take a look, where exactly is this option in the BiOs? I know XMP is enabled under RAM in the Bios, not sure about anything else.

1. Sounds fine.

2. I haven't used any DCH drivers. Personally, I think would have installed the Standard drivers.

https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/122938-introduction-windows-dch-drivers-intel-products.html

3. There appears to be a specific way to go back to Standard if you want to:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1094548/geforce-drivers/417-71-to-dch-or-not-to-dch-/1/

4. Glad I asked. 

All OC and XMP should be off everywhere, including the BIOS, for CPU, GPU, and Memory.

35 Posts

March 17th, 2019 20:00

Heyy thanks for the links.

I just read the thread and don't see how to be able to install Standard drivers.  I just tried again and got the "System not compatible" message.

Do you mean that OC in Bios and AWCC should always be off? And that might solve this problem? Or you mean just when I install the new driver?

If you mean they should always be off, then I'll feel like a **bleep** if that fixes it and I can't use the extra mhz of ram I payed more for that you enable with xmp :/

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 18th, 2019 10:00

@Jamemamone wrote:

Do you mean that OC in Bios and AWCC should always be off?

Yes.

At least until you can see your new Aurora work 100% properly (ie ; verify your hardware is 100% "good").

OC-off just means the CPU, GPU, and memory are running at the "stock clocks" they were designed to run at. Which BTW is very fast.

2 Posts

April 17th, 2020 16:00

Something else i forgot to mention in my first post (the one i'm replying to) is that its completely just the fans, your computer and not the GPU fans either (well i'm pretty sure it isn't) so basically what i'm trying to say is there's nothing to worry about and its just the fans and they are replaceable

No Events found!