Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

8 Posts

September 10th, 2019 20:00

Aurora R8, i5-9600k, overclock question

Hi,

I just bought a R8 with i5-9600k and I have a few questions about overclocking.  The home page of the AW control center shows no overclock but when I go to the Fusion page, the CPU frequency shows ~4.4 GHz when the system is idle. The button below the CPU gauge shows "enabled".  The Advanced View shows the CPU speed is set to 4.4Ghz

My first question is why the CPU is overclocked when the No overclock profile is selected.  Another question is what is the purpose of the enabled button below the CPU frequency gauge?  It is disabled and I can't change it.

The CPU is always running at ~4.4Ghz when the Intel SpeedStep is enabled in the BIOS. I also disabled the overclocking feature in the BIOS but the AWCC still shows the CPU speed is 4.4Ghz.  What is going on here?

Thanks

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

September 10th, 2019 21:00

If your CPU were constantly running at 4.4Ghz I'd think you should hear a lot of noise coming from your case fans to get rid of all that heat?  What does task manager show?  For example, I'm idling at less than 2ghz right now, on a 5ghz processor. 

September 10th, 2019 22:00

On the task manager, it shows the speed is 4.56Ghz. This matches to the speed reported in AWCC. The CPU temp is 32C according to AWCC.

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

September 11th, 2019 00:00

Assuming you’re running on liquid cooler, what is your top fan speed?

September 11th, 2019 11:00

The fan is running at ~35%.  I contacted Dell tech support this morning.  He checked the system and installed the latest bios but the cpu is still running ~4.4GHZ.  He said the CPU speed in AWCC and task mananger are just the maximum allowed speed and not the current speed, the system is normal.  I have doubt on that. 

I found someone had similar problem on i5-9600k strucked at high frequency on his Asus system but he could not explain how it got fixed at the end.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004AQjihSAD/why-is-my-core-i5-9600k-running-so-fast?language=en_US

Thanks

2 Intern

• 

402 Posts

September 11th, 2019 11:00

Install HWMonitor.  It'll tell you the exact current core frequency, plus record frequency peaks and lows. It'll also display temperatures across all cores. If it's stuck at 4.4GHz, this app will show it.

https://cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

September 11th, 2019 14:00

He said the CPU speed in AWCC and task mananger are just the maximum allowed speed and not the current speed, the system is normal.  I have doubt on that. 

You are absolutely correct to doubt that. Please install the monitor software and call that person out for this biggest horse bleep I have ever heard coming from Dell. I know they can go low but to go this low...

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

September 11th, 2019 19:00

The CPU speed for my task manager tracks the speed on AWCC... and for me they both show the current speed not the 5.0 ghz turbo boost speed.  There's a separate line in task manager for "base speed" and that one is the one that is fixed. 

Have you tried adjusting the minimum and maximum CPU state? 

Power Options.png

September 11th, 2019 20:00

I found out the cause of the high CPU frequency.  In AWCC, the power management is set to High performance. The AWCC power management is tied to the Windows' power option. Window's high performance power option will run the CPU at 100% all the time. After changing the power management to Balance profile and I can see the CPU running at a much lower speed under 2 GHZ when the system is at idle.

Thanks for all your help!

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

September 11th, 2019 22:00

@PatrickSeaStar thank you for connecting AWCC to @r72019's mention on Windows power option. I just noticed that on my R8 too!

No Events found!