Go to Solution

November 7th, 2022 17:00

Aurora R9, BIOS 1.0.22 won't install due to password on BIOS

Alienware Aurora R9

Alienware Aurora R9

Alienware Aurora R9 Desktop

Running Windows 11

Using Alienware Update V 4.7.0 and tells me to download updated BIOS

Alienware Aurora R9 System BIOS - 1.0.22 - 8.03 MB - Critical (current bios version is 1.0.20)

Downloaded and Update Failed

"BIOS update failed as BIOS requires a password. Please remove password on BIOS and retry"

I have updated the BIOS a few times and never been asked for password before

DELLs solution (at link below) is well outside my PC knowledge 

Any advice would be much appreciated.

How to Reset or Clear the BIOS Password

25 Posts

November 7th, 2022 19:00

Try installing it outside of windows on a flash drive.  Most Dell computers manufactured after 2012 have this function and you can confirm by booting the computer to the F12 One Time Boot menu. It's much safer to install BIOS updates outside of windows.

November 8th, 2022 12:00

Many thanks Darqology that worked a treat.

25 Posts

November 8th, 2022 16:00

Good! Installing  BIOS updates in windows is more dangerous (IMO) because if windows doesn't shut down correctly and potentially hangs (or even looks like it is hanging), you run the risk of having to power cycle your PC which in the middle of a BIOS update is going to cause BIOS issues, likely causing you to reset your CMOS battery and the CMOS jumpers to reset your BIOS. It's just not worth it. 

20 Posts

November 10th, 2022 08:00

Same issue on Dell G3 3579 while trying to update the BIOS through Dell Update.

November 12th, 2022 13:00

No, I get the idea of downloading it to a Flash Drive. It's the " Install outside of Windows" that has me confused. What does that mean exactly? Download it to a flash drive and execute it while still in Windows? If I download it to a flash drive and manually execute the file, that is still in Windows. Or, is the point to not let Windows Updater try to install it for you? Am I to execute the file in the F12 as a Boot file from flash drive? Is my head so cloudy from being sick that I'm just not getting it? lol

The advice given by Darqology worked for me 

Try installing it outside of windows on a flash drive.  Most Dell computers manufactured after 2012 have this function and you can confirm by booting the computer to the F12 One Time Boot menu

I'm sorry I have the same issue and my Alienware Aurora R13 is only 4 months old. I don't recall ever setting a BIOS Password when setting this up. The BIOS update also failed due to a password. 

What do you mean when you say 'Install outside of Windows'?  Not to mention, how did my BIOS get a password to begin with? How do I set the password myself so I don't run into this again? I really don't want to screw this up and I find it a bit irritating that we have to do all this to begin with. 

I'm sorry to have to ask you to put effort and time into answering my question. I do however, appreciate any and all effort towards my situation. 

20 Posts

@Raiders1989 My advice is to NOT attempt to change anything in the BIOS settings. I came here because I had the same exact issue on a different model and found others reporting it too. There is a big chance this error might be caused by a bug of some sort and has nothing to do with any passwords whatsoever. You may try the alternative installation method as suggested if you wish, but don't mess with any settings.

Disclaimer: I'm NOT a representative of Dell and I don't consider myself a technical expert either.

1 Message

November 12th, 2022 14:00

Yeah I'm having the same issues with my Alienware R11 BIOS and I'm just not understanding what is being said in this thread. Plus if you download it to a flash drive are you supposed to download the file directly from Dells website? And about the F12 Boot thing, I don't know what or where that is. Never heard of that before. Just want my BIOS updated safely man, as I've been messing around with things for a little bit now because of this.

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

November 12th, 2022 14:00

There's no need to update your BIOS unless you have an issue and that issue is fixed in the new BIOS release, or the new BIOS contains a feature you need.

If everything works properly there's no need to upgrade to the latest and greatest BIOS version.

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

November 12th, 2022 15:00

For those who insist on upgrading their BIOS to the latest version, I would recommend the USB upgrade version over the Windows upgrade.

If you do not understand the instructions below I would not recommend updating your BIOS.

Flashing BIOS (USB key)

Steps

1. Follow the procedure from step 1 to step 7 in "Flashing the BIOS" to download the latest BIOS setup program file.
  2. Create a bootable USB drive. For more information see the knowledge base article SLN143196 at www.dell.com/support.
  3. Copy the BIOS setup program file to the bootable USB drive.
  4. Connect the bootable USB drive to the computer that needs the BIOS update.
  5. Restart the computer and press F12 when the Dell logo is displayed on the screen.
  6. Boot to the USB drive from the One Time Boot Menu.
  7. Type the BIOS setup program filename and press Enter.
  8. The BIOS Update Utility appears. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the BIOS update.

Important: The BIOS file you want to download for USB flashing needs to be .rcv. Using the exe file to update is not going to work. Click on the button "other formats" next to the exe download to get the .rcv version. Put both version on the USB stick just incase it does need to be in exe format for some oddball reason.

Again, if you don't fully understand all these instructions don't attempt a BIOS update. A failed BIOS update can result in a bricked motherboard (unbootable system). 

1 Message

November 12th, 2022 21:00

I had this exact same issue on my brand new X17 R2. When I tried to download the BIOS .exe file and run it separately, I received the error message "Driver version fail" as well.
Following the instructions that @Vanadiel posted here (thanks for that!), to create a USB BIOS update flash drive worked. However, the utility pointed to the .exe BIOS file rather than the .rcv file (I put both on the flash drive) and it had no issues updating. 

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

November 13th, 2022 05:00

ok, that is good to know. That's why I always put both on the stick. The .RCV file is likely a recovery image.

1 Message

November 13th, 2022 08:00

I suffering with the same problem.  It should not be this difficult.  In fact you shouldn't have to even go through this to update the BIOS

Jim

Community Manager

• 

54.4K Posts

November 14th, 2022 09:00

This, "BIOS fails due to password", is under investigation.

Installing a PC BIOS update from a USB thumb drive is the safest process.

How to flash the BIOS on a Dell Desktop or Notebook with a USB thumb drive

I do not install a PC BIOS update "through" any software (Dell Update Application, SupportAssist, Windows Updates, etc.). IF I install a BIOS update, it is via the above F12--> OTHER OPTIONS --> BIOS Flash Update.

No Events found!